diy solar

diy solar

New NEC code makes it impossible for DIY systems to be compliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now spent more on rapid shutdown than what I spent in 2019 on buying my 36x265W used panels and racking them with unistrut ;)
Years ago when I investigated solar panels, I never imagined that supporting electronics would push the complexity and costs to be more than panels&inverter! I love DIY technology projects, but the stress level (costs, inspection headaches) takes all the fun out of it.
Onward.....
You pick your battles (ones you can win!)...I ended up scaling back solution to a portable stand-alone generator using solar panel strings no more than 75V OCV. Half (1.5KW) of my panels are not even deployed (stored in garage and ready to go).....I'll unroll cables and lay them out when/if grid goes down for more than a day.

Regulations and building codes protect people living in buildings. Construction contractors have every incentive to cut corners since the goal of capitalism is to maximize profit.
yes but the last paragraph of the page says much. it says basically is you don't have a "bundle tag", you can may request a field inspection, where an inspector can tag it approved or if there are parts that can't be tested without a lab he makes a "call" n the viability. A windmill farm has no tag, he has to make the call. An RV has no tag he has to make the call. Not sure they will get same results. I suspect hiring an engineer to stamp it all will get it done unless it's political, but is the RV guy going to pay the design fees?

So, ESS must be compliant.
For Lithium based technologies, I can understand why. Those technologies turn into a fireball if provoked. I'm not sure if I would trust a DIY battery assembly in this technology, even if I did follow a proven design.

What of AGM and older technology batteries? They aren't nearly as likely to set themselves on fire as long as they are installed with overcurrent and overtemperature protection. It does not exempt them?

A little more specifically - if I understand it correctly - is that a UPS system is specifically not a type of ESS (as far as NEC article 706 defines it), and so only has the battery requirements section (NEC article 480) applies.

It’s what I’m going to use.

A UPS is pretty limited. No solar and none of the other benefits. I will take the risk. of no permit but otherwise comply with all other code requirements to have a useful.system.

Last edited:
What of AGM and older technology batteries? They aren't nearly as likely to set themselves on fire as long as they are installed with overcurrent and overtemperature protection. It does not exempt them?
Yes, they still need to be compliant. They hydrogen risk of AGMs is exaggerated, but FLAs is very real. The other concern is you essentially have a hazardous chemical inside a residence, which can affect fire fighting.

A little more specifically - if I understand it correctly - is that a UPS system is specifically not a type of ESS (as far as NEC article 706 defines it), and so only has the battery requirements section (NEC article 480) applies.

It’s what I’m going to use.
A UPS is still considered an ESS, especially if it is not portable. 480 and 706 are not mutually exclusive.

A UPS is still considered an ESS, especially if it is not portable. 480 and 706 are not mutually exclusive.
I figured 480 applies to all systems using batteries, but the informal note made it seem like an UPS system should be considered differently? (but of course what AHJ interprets/wants)

I’m having a hard time finding where lead acid doesn’t have the same requirements as any other chemistry in NEC.

Attachments

• 1C9B63C4-355A-42F2-BC11-85A42DD58042.jpeg
    1C9B63C4-355A-42F2-BC11-85A42DD58042.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 11
I’m having a hard time finding where lead acid doesn’t have the same requirements as any other chemistry in NEC.
It's been a while, but I think that is in the International Fire Code. NFPA 855 also has a small reference on residential installations. (But that is a poorly-conceived standard in how it defines an individual ESS.)

Would someone be kind enough to point me towards what applies to portable solar generators with batteries or mobile installations? If had a solar install in a trailer, what technically applies or is in the pipeline to apply?

If had a solar install in a trailer, what technically applies or is in the pipeline to apply?
All I know is a trailer is not covered by the building code unless you connect it to your house as a source. Then NEC 2020 might apply when it is connected as a source of energy from batteries.

Last edited:
All I know is a trailer is not covered by the building code unless you connect it to your house as a source. Then NEC 2020 might apply when it is connected as a source of energy from batteries.
Here’s how one can generally tell if somthing will soon be regulated by someone or somthing …..
If you enjoy it , do it often, can make a buck off of it , more and more people are starting to do it , they may be some fun/ risk to it, it makes you less dependent on the system , it cuts in on the big guys dollars or power, a local, state or federal entity feel you will pay them money to continue doing it. It will be a huge activity soon in the future..and etc…etc…etc…
I could go on but its clear where we’re going with anything renewable that you personally can do.

jus my opinion, J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back