diy solar

diy solar

Ordered 4 cells 280ah From Shenzhen Basen, CN

My power supply/charger did not come with leads. I made them using 12awg wire with fork connectors connected to the power supply and ring terminals connected to the cells. Working great. I thought about paralleling the wires but I don't see any need since the wire and terminals is working.

Nice. That would be best. If I were doing a bunch of batteries I would do the same thing.

This is the future. Pump 280 amps into those suckers and not hurt them.
I did a while ago, but I ran into an unforseen snag

Equalize or equilibrate, balance?
View attachment 25374
How thick are these bus bars? I have similar cells except mine are 90Ah. I pulled 900W at 12V with DIY copper pipe bus bars and the bus bars got extremely hot. Used 1/2 inch thick copper pipe and hammered it flat so they aren't terribly thin. I'm shocked at how hot they got.

Same as yours.
Sounds like they need to be thicker.
Wow okay. I've seen plenty of people with the same cells on YouTube do capacity tests with the factory included buss bars and I'm unsure how they don't have the same issues. I'm having voltage drop issues even with my new bus bars

Wow okay. I've seen plenty of people with the same cells on YouTube do capacity tests with the factory included buss bars and I'm unsure how they don't have the same issues. I'm having voltage drop issues even with my new bus bars
Can you post a photo? How thick are they? Where exactly are you seeing the voltage drop and how much? A 2mm thick busbar would easily be able to handle 75 amps. Also they need to be flat against the cells terminals.

Can you post a photo? How thick are they? Where exactly are you seeing the voltage drop and how much? A 2mm thick busbar would easily be able to handle 75 amps. Also they need to be flat against the cells terminals.
Here's a picture. The bus bars are 57mm wide and 3.2mm thick. Pretty hefty as you can see. The copper pipe is hammered flat. Voltage is dropping from ~13.3V resting no load to ~11.5V under a 900W load. Since I received my cells (ordered brand new) I have always experienced voltage drop even when using the stock bus bars (stock bus bars were thin and junky).
I do have a coulomb counter w/ a shunt so I can confirm the battery is just about fully charged.

Attachments

• 20201104_170040.jpg
    20201104_170040.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 22
The busbars are hefty but they must be flat against the battery terminals. Are they? If only a part of the busbar is making connection with the battery terminal then it could explain the voltage drop and heat. The bulk of the current travels from the battery terminal through the busbar, not the screws used to mount the busbars.

The busbars are hefty but they must be flat against the battery terminals. Are they? If only a part of the busbar is making connection with the battery terminal then it could explain the voltage drop and heat. The bulk of the current travels from the battery terminal through the busbar, not the screws used to mount the busbars.
Yes they are flat. I wouldn't say ~perfectly~ flat but they are making a solid connection. Might need to try a perfectly flat copper bar instead of hammered pipe.... unfortunate these DIY bus bars may not work.

If what I think is there,
Fold them over and pound them flat fitting closer to terminals thereby increasing conductivity.

Those look like a 6 year old made them. Don't skimp. Go get some 1/2" x 1" or whatever alunimen flat stock and make some nice bars. Nothing wrong with matching metals in terms of conductivity, and in fact, you are even further delaying galvanic corrosion using like metals.

Yes they are flat. I wouldn't say ~perfectly~ flat but they are making a solid connection. Might need to try a perfectly flat copper bar instead of hammered pipe.... unfortunate these DIY bus bars may not work.
If they are not perfectly flat and covering the whole terminal then that would explain the problem. If the bottom looks anything like the top that's not good. I know you said you had voltage drop with the included busbars. Did they heat up too? Also you have 90 amp cells and I assume they are good for up to 1C rates?

If you have any of that 1/0 cable left over why not just use that? Crimp up some lugs and there's your bus bars.

Those look like a 6 year old made them. Don't skimp. Go get some 1/2" x 1" or whatever alunimen flat stock and make some nice bars. Nothing wrong with matching metals in terms of conductivity, and in fact, you are even further delaying galvanic corrosion using like metals.
Haha I know the bus bars are not the most aesthetically appealing. I will go the 1/0 cable route and update everyone what happens. Thanks so much all for the advice.

I can tell you that even silly things like an unpolished terminal will cause major problems. You need a VERY clean set of surfaces and perfect contact. 1000-grit sandpaper on the terminal and connections, wipe clean with dry rag, wipe with de-ox solution, and then assemble. If you're going to use bare copper against the aluminum terminals, use very small amount of anti-ox between the terminal and the copper. At those loads you need near perfection.

Cells up to 3.36V thinking about stopping at 3.4V
Charging at 3.43V, 0.75A
Thoughts?.... Getting a little anxious to do a discharge test.

Back