diy solar

diy solar

Seems MPP dropped a new inverter...a split phase 10KW

That's some kind of a joke, right??? I wasted over $4000 and a year-worth of my very limited time trying to get things working/built that were advertised from the start and now have to rip it all out and pretty much start over because the inverters I bought less than 2 years ago have already been discontinued.

Don't the units still work? I've always wondered what the fascination with communications is about. I've run without battery communications, I never saw the need. For me the LV6548's worked from day one, I put in the settings and haven't changed them other than when power would switch back to grid and back to battery.

I never updated firmware, never saw the need.

Are these units dated now? Yes, the are dated compared to other products out there. The units still produce power though day in or night. Would I recommend buying the LV6548 now? No, there are better products out there. Would I replace the LV6548's I am using just for the sake of changing them? No, I plan on running the units until one dies.

I have not deleted a single comment on that video. I do not delete comments unless they are bot spam or highly offensive (racism, hate, etc).

I posted it and it isn't there. No links, spam or offensive. Just related some of my experience with the LV6548's.

......... sounds like a very special channel you have there sir

It is about sharing my experience, good or bad. I don't have a website or do any affiliations or affiliate links.

Are you sure you're not mixing my channel up with something else? My "fancy production" literally consists of one camera, one microphone, and maybe a few jotted down notes ahead of time.
I don't even use a camera, I just use my phone. Very low budget. I use a microphone when I have to screen capture on a pc. The tripod I use was bought in a thrift store in Colorado Springs for $9.

Don't the units still work? I've always wondered what the fascination with communications is about. I've run without battery communications, I never saw the need. For me the LV6548's worked from day one, I put in the settings and haven't changed them other than when power would switch back to grid and back to battery.
Yes, they still work. Just because you don't need communications doesn't mean others don't. Having communications was a factor in my decision to purchase them, so you can see why I'm disappointed that it didn't work out as it should have.

I never updated firmware, never saw the need.
Again, just because you don't need something doesn't mean others don't. An update was required to enable the LiA protocol over CAN.

I posted it and it isn't there. No links, spam or offensive. Just related some of my experience with the LV6548's.
I don't know what to tell you. You either didn't post it, you deleted it, or Youtube deleted it for some reason. I did not delete your comment.

It is about sharing my experience, good or bad. I don't have a website or do any affiliations or affiliate links.
I very much appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't know how that second sentence has anything to do with the first sentence?

I don't even use a camera, I just use my phone. Very low budget. I use a microphone when I have to screen capture on a pc. The tripod I use was bought in a thrift store in Colorado Springs for $9.
Congratulations :)

Last edited:
Yes, they still work. Just because you don't need communications doesn't mean others don't. Having communications was a factor in my decision to purchase them, so you can see why I'm disappointed that it didn't work out as it should have.
Again, just because you don't need something doesn't mean others don't. An update was required to enable the LiA protocol over CAN.

If you felt it was important then pursue it. Which you tried, it just didn't work out.

I'm not a believer in complexity if I can avoid it. Too many failure points in my opinion.

I don't know what to tell you. You either didn't post it, you deleted it, or Youtube deleted it for some reason. I did not delete your comment.

I'm OK with it, just thought it was strange it disappeared.

I very much appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't know how that second sentence has anything to do with the first sentence?

I've enjoyed your experience and have linked your videos here many times. I'll be watching your 6000XP install video so if I ever have to replace my LV6548's I'll be able to determine if the 6000XP fits well for a replacement in my system.

Congratulations :)
Thank you.

I still don't understand why the WP units have essentially no surge ability. You'd think they could handle the 2x for 5-10 seconds or whatever that the older units did.

Don't the units still work? I've always wondered what the fascination with communications is about. I've run without battery communications, I never saw the need.
I know communications is good to find problems with production and such, but I agree.

People went DECADES without any communications, just plugged their system in and ran their entire homes off of their setups with nothing to check their systems but a multimeter.

I'm a techie, I love technology and new things and I love data, but bit perfect direct communication with every single fuse, cable, box and connection is far from necessary.

I just built two new systems and neither have communication 😂 neither does my 6000xp system. My 18kpv does because it takes two seconds to setup.

I just don't think it's worth the time to setup. If I can set absorption float and low voltage cut off, I'm good.

I'll just say my system uses voltage for communication 😂😂

I know communications is good to find problems with production and such, but I agree.

People went DECADES without any communications, just plugged their system in and ran their entire homes off of their setups with nothing to check their systems but a multimeter.

I'm a techie, I love technology and new things and I love data, but bit perfect direct communication with every single fuse, cable, box and connection is far from necessary.

I agree -- BUT - in this day and age of technology and cheap / reliable parts there is NO reason for these manufacturers NOT to have it ... it literally costs them pennies to incorporate -- and sometimes its nice to have everything talking so you can see issues BEFORE they become BIG ISSUES ....

YES - we have a ton of systems that we have put out in the field 4-5 years ago that about once a year we go out and check the batteries and maybe fine tune this or that (normally we don't) and those systems will work fine like that for the next 15 years hopefully -- BUT every now and then we get a system that will crash because of a bad cell - that brings down the entire system -- and if that system could have been talking to everything on board - we would have known and could have managed that bad piece BEFORE it became an issue ... BACK in the day I understand technology wasn't quite there ... BUT today - again - NO excuses ... they just need to spend that extra 0.,25 cents and incorporate it during design

I just built two new systems and neither have communication 😂 neither does my 6000xp system. My 18kpv does because it takes two seconds to setup.

I just don't think it's worth the time to setup. If I can set absorption float and low voltage cut off, I'm good.

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying anyone NEEDS it. The inverters run perfectly fine without it as you and several others are saying. I'm an IT geek and want to see and log statistics in addition to remote control abilities. There are several reasons I want it but again, none of them are required. The problem I have with it is that I purchased them with that advertised functionality being part of my decision-making process.

I couldn't have said it better. (y) (y)

I agree -- BUT - in this day and age of technology and cheap / reliable parts there is NO reason for these manufacturers NOT to have it ... it literally costs them pennies to incorporate -- and sometimes its nice to have everything talking so you can see issues BEFORE they become BIG ISSUES ....

YES - we have a ton of systems that we have put out in the field 4-5 years ago that about once a year we go out and check the batteries and maybe fine tune this or that (normally we don't) and those systems will work fine like that for the next 15 years hopefully -- BUT every now and then we get a system that will crash because of a bad cell - that brings down the entire system -- and if that system could have been talking to everything on board - we would have known and could have managed that bad piece BEFORE it became an issue ... BACK in the day I understand technology wasn't quite there ... BUT today - again - NO excuses ... they just need to spend that extra 0.,25 cents and incorporate it during design

I use a Batrium for cell monitoring, I decided to use a Batrium after watching Lithium Solar's Batrium video. Nice graphing for cell monitoring at a glance, a laptop in the kitchen provides all the information we need for SOC and cell monitoring. I also can pull up the Batrium graph on my office desk.

For the shop build, I'm using JK and will have the 4.3 inch screen for every battery. I have this with the Daly in my truck camper, I know at a glance where cells are at balance wise. I use a shunt for SOC.

I prefer simplicity for something I depend on that makes electricity. Don't get me wrong about tech, I run enough tech in my shop and house and I am also the IT person here. I like tech, I have remote capability to turn on/off loads in my house, monitor my system from 500 or more miles away. I just don't see the need for charging a battery to have tech run it. Just set the charge settings and let the system work. When there is a problem, I don't have to deal with possible communication issues.

I use a Batrium for cell monitoring, I decided to use a Batrium after watching Lithium Solar's Batrium video. Nice graphing for cell monitoring at a glance, a laptop in the kitchen provides all the information we need for SOC and cell monitoring. I also can pull up the Batrium graph on my office desk.

For the shop build, I'm using JK and will have the 4.3 inch screen for every battery. I have this with the Daly in my truck camper, I know at a glance where cells are at balance wise. I use a shunt for SOC.

I prefer simplicity for something I depend on that makes electricity. Don't get me wrong about tech, I run enough tech in my shop and house and I am also the IT person here. I like tech, I have remote capability to turn on/off loads in my house, monitor my system from 500 or more miles away. I just don't see the need for charging a battery to have tech run it. Just set the charge settings and let the system work. When there is a problem, I don't have to deal with possible communication issues.
I think everyone here can be jealous of your excellent setup and build quality. And the fact that you've gotten such good results by using the LV6548's to their fullest and for their intended use case.

I think when the LV6548's came out, there wasn't a lot of things that were much better. Also there wasnt much in communications ability of any AIO's at the time or the communications ability was very narrowly programmed for specific bms types.

I know I asked in another thread, and people (LithiumSolar, etc.) have tested the idle consumption of the LV6548V (390v) as being excessive, BUT is that also true for the LV6548V (500v) or has everyone lost so much faith in Mppsolar no one wants to find out?

I know I asked in another thread, and people (LithiumSolar, etc.) have tested the idle consumption of the LV6548V (390v) as being excessive, BUT is that also true for the LV6548V (500v) or has everyone lost so much faith in Mppsolar no one wants to find out?
I wrote to MPP tech about this exact issue, and why the 390v PV model was so much higher standby current, than the 250v version.
They replied the 390 is based on EU voltage and internally converts to obtain 120 - resulting in some inefficiencies - higher standby. I believe they noted the same conditions for the 500v model.
On the new 10kW MPP they report the standby current will be approx 100W, ie better than the 6548 -390v and with 40% higher output capability.
They confirmed they are well aware of the problems Voltronic/SS had with the EG4, however that model is not an MPP-rebrand.

I wrote to MPP tech about this exact issue, and why the 390v PV model was so much higher standby current, than the 250v version.
They replied the 390 is based on EU voltage and internally converts to obtain 120 - resulting in some inefficiencies - higher standby. I believe they noted the same conditions for the 500v model.
On the new 10kW MPP they report the standby current will be approx 100W, ie better than the 6548 -390v and with 40% higher output capability.
They confirmed they are well aware of the problems Voltronic/SS had with the EG4, however that model is not an MPP-rebrand.
So far SRNE and Lux have made some pretty successful releases and updates of their products. Even though MPP is behind the curve on the release that is the main subject of this thread, I got hope for these guys. Remember they were first to market with a lot of cool features, and while un-refined, brought a lot of attention to the possibilities of this market.

I'm In agreement with a lot of the folks here that have experience with the failures of mpp solar, but I have been enjoying the simplicity and overall reliability of the LV2724 hasn't missed a beat and was the easiest critical loads back up and mobile application build I think anyone could have done. I was pleased to see a video release by Will after starting, but just prior to finishing my own.

Last edited:
I love my 2724, used as a mobile unit.
This thing has impressed me time and again with it's capabilities in a small neat package - including plug outlets and USB built right into the case!

I think everyone here can be jealous of your excellent setup and build quality. And the fact that you've gotten such good results by using the LV6548's to their fullest and for their intended use case.

I think when the LV6548's came out, there wasn't a lot of things that were much better. Also there wasnt much in communications ability of any AIO's at the time or the communications ability was very narrowly programmed for specific bms types.

It isn't just the idle consumption, it is the advances other units have made. Back in the day of the introduction of the LV6548, we spent endless hours determining how to N-G bond and install these units. Poor documentation was another problem. It should have been clear how to bond the units from the start.

For me at this point, I just need a basic AIO unit that can communicate with SA to allow not only remote viewing but even changes to settings. The LV6548 fit that need but the low VOC rating required using separate SCC's for high voltage strings. With the high idle consumption of the V model, no thanks.

Right now you can purchase units that AC couple, that can be a huge advantage. I will have 3 separate arrays to 2 systems in 2 different structures and want the ability switch PV between systems. With AC coupling I could have just tied everything together and power could go where needed to power loads and charge batteries by building an AC coupled micro grid with a battery inverter in each structure and have zero export.

If I had to start over, I know how I would have done the system. But I wasn't planning on adding another system either.

So is the new powmr one with the built in breakers for around $2700 the same as this new MPP?
I'm waiting for all of you buy these newer units and let us know how good they are.

I need something for the shop system, I'm certainly interested in any option.

Paralleling up to 6 of those would not only be expensive considering other options but the idle consumption could be horrendous.

I'm waiting for all of you buy these newer units and let us know how good they are.

Paralleling up to 6 of those would not only be expensive considering other options but the idle consumption could be horrendous.
That thing is a grand more than my SRNE variant.
I’d love to buy them all just for “fun” 🤣
Seems the only thing it offers is parallel, and non powmr variants are much cheaper potentially.
But it looks ready for a quick install!

Ditto!
What is taking these guys so long?! They should be buying these units and reporting back - so I don't have to be the guinea pig!
if the MPP was a 12 kW (output) I would try one. Two in parallel (24kW) would run both the shop and my home nicely.
And just like @Zwy I don't need a lot of features, just parallel, and comms with SA for control.
-why do you want two separate systems for the shop and house? I put everything (ESS, inverters) in the shop and ran buried AC power supply to the house, everything DC in one place?

Back