diy solar

diy solar

Seems MPP dropped a new inverter...a split phase 10KW

Well that depends on the user I guess since I love the tp6048 I have and plan on getting more of them so I guess that means I love voltronic units and I will only buy my inverters from Sungold from now on since I like the service and this particular product. I could care less about the idle usage since I will compensate as needed for it to keep the LF over having a HF unit. Another reason I want to pick up a few more of the tp6048's has to do with having spares more than power needs.

But to each their own of course.
Sungold seems to have less problems, or at least reported problems with theirs than some of the others but that’s entirely anecdotal of me.
To be fair, some of the bias of my comment is based on @42OhmsPA recent comparison of his tp6048 vs the newer SRNE
Nothing wrong with buying more of something that already works for ya. I guess I mean more if someone was going in fresh too

And the EG4 model seems to be better than the other garbage they are releasing. Did you see lithium solars video?
@Will Prowse can you link the video. Subscribed to both of you but unsure of the video you mention. Was it the 6548 vs 6548v comparison?

Last edited:
Not sure if you realize this, but I have a YouTube channel that makes videos on these products. So I listen to people here to see what's happening with the products. No, a customer would not care who the supplier is. But there is a product that is not released yet, and we have tons of companies distributing their other units. So it doesn't take that big of a leap of the imagination to see that we are going to make assumptions on the future based on their past history.
Totally understood. Your videos are certainly appreciated. However, the point is that many of the reported problems are really due to the brands not doing the things in product design/QA/support necessary to insulate customers from supplier problems. The impression I get from your comments seem to emphasize the focus on suppliers. If a customer (even DIY) has to worry about potential problems for a branded product (future or present) based suppliers used then it's really indicative of problems with the brand that need to be fixed. BTW, I agree with you that the new MPP product will likely be problematic, but frankly MPP has more problems as a brand in general than just using Voltronics as a supplier.

I don't see it priced yet on their page. I was looking for a decent AIO unite to power a few deep freezes before investing in outback or Schneider latter.

Having helped install two MPP off grid power systems, there is no way I would ever buy an MPP product. Both installs had multiple major issues. They are loud, run hot and love to forget settings. Even the up and down buttons don't work right on the menu. One system is still managing to run. It has issues and won't charge from the genny but is still working.

The other the MPP's were dumped and new inverters purchased and installed. Maybe if it was a single inverter running non critical loads and somebody gave it to me I might use it. On second thought, not even then.

In one case, the inverters were SWITCHING TO 50hZ ON THEIR OWN!! The third time they did that was the deal breaker. Ripped them off the wall. MPP is not ready for prime time. Not only all of the above but they are cramped and a PITA to wire up.

Totally understood. Your videos are certainly appreciated. However, the point is that many of the reported problems are really due to the brands not doing the things in product design/QA/support necessary to insulate customers from supplier problems. The impression I get from your comments seem to emphasize the focus on suppliers. If a customer (even DIY) has to worry about potential problems for a branded product (future or present) based suppliers used then it's really indicative of problems with the brand that need to be fixed. BTW, I agree with you that the new MPP product will likely be problematic, but frankly MPP has more problems as a brand in general than just using Voltronics as a supplier.
I disagree, the LV6548 is a known performer and it performs quite well. Now whether or not they substituted hardware/firmware similar to the EG4 version remains to be determined.

I had problems with the EG4 version, installed the LV6548's and those problems were gone.

Sungold seems to have less problems, or at least reported problems with theirs than some of the others but that’s entirely anecdotal of me.
To be fair, some of the bias of my comment is based on @42OhmsPA recent comparison of his tp6048 vs the newer SRNE
Nothing wrong with buying more of something that already works for ya. I guess I mean more if someone was going in fresh too
Yea, it's Some Really Nice Equipment, so far. The tp/lvx6048 is still hanging on the wall in case something were to go wrong, but I really hope that's not the case because I don't want lights flickering when the washer is agitating.
I wish the MPP 10kw with 12 kw pv input were around last year I may have considered it, despite the naming.

I disagree, the LV6548 is a known performer and it performs quite well. Now whether or not they substituted hardware/firmware similar to the EG4 version remains to be determined.

Sure, that one model is decent but, as others have pointed out, recent new product trend is worse. As a brand overall, MPP is not getting better.

Having helped install two MPP off grid power systems, there is no way I would ever buy an MPP product. Both installs had multiple major issues. They are loud, run hot and love to forget settings. Even the up and down buttons don't work right on the menu. One system is still managing to run. It has issues and won't charge from the genny but is still working.

The other the MPP's were dumped and new inverters purchased and installed. Maybe if it was a single inverter running non critical loads and somebody gave it to me I might use it. On second thought, not even then.

In one case, the inverters were SWITCHING TO 50hZ ON THEIR OWN!! The third time they did that was the deal breaker. Ripped them off the wall. MPP is not ready for prime time. Not only all of the above but they are cramped and a PITA to wire up.
Thanks for your input. After thinking about it and some of the responses ..It's a foolish decision to use a cheap solution to power food refrigeration.

Thanks for your input. After thinking about it and some of the responses ..It's a foolish decision to use a cheap solution to power food refrigeration.
How big are the freezers? I can easily run a chest freezer and full size french door fridge off a Victron Phoenix 12/1200va. Still have to have a way of charging the batteries, but it's a mighty nice inverter. If you had a dedicated circuit for all your fridges/freezers.. it might be able to handle it.

Sure, that one model is decent but, as others have pointed out, recent new product trend is worse. As a brand overall, MPP is not getting better.
I have three MPP LV 6048 - first one is two years old. They work perfectly, not issues - I push them hard.
I also have MPP 2724 for a mobile set up - gets a lot of use, also runs perfectly.
I have seen Lithium Solar's video on the higher voltage PV 6548 - too bad about the Idle current on those.
I wonder what the Idle current will be on this new 10kW unit. Anyone know?

Being as it's stackable, has "zero export" capabilities and might be cheap.. it could be very popular. I imagine it will have "industry average" idle current for it's cost range. You want low idle, you get to pay for low idle.

How big are the freezers? I can easily run a chest freezer and full size french door fridge off a Victron Phoenix 12/1200va. Still have to have a way of charging the batteries, but it's a mighty nice inverter. If you had a dedicated circuit for all your fridges/freezers.. it might be able to handle it.
The are 24.0 cubic feet..bought them a few years ago so they are energy star models and use about 100W running, reported by another user, not sure about startup surge. I plan on having three deep freezers and the fridge in the house. The house fridge is old but says it uses 200W. But, I'd like to have enough head room for adding another fridge or two latter. I was originally thinking of a victron or small 3KW schneider. To be clear it's for backup with the grid power goes down. And, yes I'd have a few panels to charge during extended outage.

Similar to this.

The are 24.0 cubic feet..bought them a few years ago so they are energy star models and use about 100W running, reported by another user, not sure about startup surge. I plan on having three deep freezers and the fridge in the house. The house fridge is old but says it uses 200W. But, I'd like to have enough head room for adding another fridge or two latter. I was originally thinking of a victron or small 3KW schneider. To be clear it's for backup with the grid power goes down. And, yes I'd have a few panels to charge during extended outage.

Similar to this.

I'm running the one of those plus two side by sides off my tp6048 just fine. They don't pull that much unless in defrost mode. I don't have a washing machine on mine though like @42OhmsPA is running.

I'm running the one of those plus two side by sides off my tp6048 just fine. They don't pull that much unless in defrost mode. I don't have a washing machine on mine though like @42OhmsPA is running.
Thanks bro for the input...much appreciated.

I run three freezers, two fridges plus a small garage fridge,
The main side by side fridge has the highest start up and daily watts (about 1.6kWh per day). I can't recall the start up surge but I can measure it tomorrow if you want to know the in-rush on it.
The freezers are all about the same at just below a kwh per 24-hour day. I can say the bigger freezers don't seem to use more energy than the smaller one, they are all about the same.
The washing machine doesn't use a lot of energy on it's own.

I run three freezers, two fridges plus a small garage fridge,
The main side by side fridge has the highest start up and daily watts (about 1.6kWh per day). I can't recall the start up surge but I can measure it tomorrow if you want to know the in-rush on it.
The freezers are all about the same at just below a kwh per 24-hour day. I can say the bigger freezers don't seem to use more energy than the smaller one, they are all about the same.
The washing machine doesn't use a lot of energy on it's own.
Thanks for your input..this is all off of your LV 6048?

I never had an issue with the chest freezer or fridge on the TP6048 but realized there was a slight light flicker when the compressors kicked in, nothing compared to the washer agitating. The light flicker is gone with the SRNE, doing laundry is fun again; especially since the SRNE handles the dryer. The 6048 is hanging on the wall sad and powered down waiting for it's next adventure.

Back