diy solar

diy solar

Seems MPP dropped a new inverter...a split phase 10KW

You can AC Couple the inverters, but I use them in Off-Grid mode as a battery backup to my SMA Grid Tied inverters.
So you can connect your SMA grid tied inverters to the AC output of the LVX and the SMA will generate power and export any excess out the LVX’s AC input (like the Schneider Conext SW) but when off-grid the LVX inverter will not throttle the SMA grid-tie inverter using frequency-shift (unlike the Conext SW)?

Frequency-shift throttling only works when a grid-tie inverter is connected to the LVXs generator input?

Or the AC input will not allow any AC-coupled energy to pass-through?

So you can connect your SMA grid tied inverters to the AC output of the LVX and the SMA will generate power and export any excess out the LVX’s AC input (like the Schneider Conext SW) but when off-grid the LVX inverter will not throttle the SMA grid-tie inverter using frequency-shift (unlike the Conext SW)?

Frequency-shift throttling only works when a grid-tie inverter is connected to the LVXs generator input?

Or the AC input will not allow any AC-coupled energy to pass-through?
I have not tried to AC couple yet, but I assume the LVX also uses freq throttle on the AC input side.

I have not tried to AC couple yet, but I assume the LVX also uses freq throttle on the AC input side.
When off-grid, your LVX won’t be doing anything to the AC inout side.

Frequency-shift can only occur out the AC output and generator input when the grid/AC-input has gone down and the LVX is operating on off-grid mode…

Still points to the same conclusion - read the manuals and specs before buying any equipment.
I hope to see more interesting offerings from all the Solar companies, Seems to be the industry is picking up speed, and new interesting products are coming out at a steady pace. Can hardly wait to see the next new offerings.

Still points to the same conclusion - read the manuals and specs before buying any equipment.
I hope to see more interesting offerings from all the Solar companies, Seems to be the industry is picking up speed, and new interesting products are coming out at a steady pace. Can hardly wait to see the next new offerings.
So we apparently all just need YouTube’s and modular walls to get thru all the options or @Will Prowse is just going to be very busy ?

Wouldn't it have to be?

Its either that or disable all units past the first unit in a parallel setup.

It's not going to feed the other units with power from the first units generator port without some extra wiring especially if your doing split phase.

Once going parallel I would think you should have a transfer switch before the inverters that switched between the generator and the grid.
The LVX6048WP units have a 240V input on GEN. Both L1 and L2. I wired the GEN to both units so they could power the units to charge the batteries during long periods of bad weather.
Having to disable parallel to use the generator as input is stupid, and none of that is in any documentation on the units. The new firmware in the Gen 2 unit hardware fixes it, but I have Gen 1 hardware, so SOL.

Instead of making new inverters, they need to work on perfecting (or fixing rather) those that they already have out... Like the LV6548V they completely hosed with the 110W idle consumption and the LV6548 that, according to them, has not been discontinued but does not appear to be getting produced anymore anywhere. They ruined that product in my eyes.
Have you tried to parallel your LV6548 with LV6548V? Is this possible? I have LV6548 and considering getting the V for the PV input but wanted to see if I run them in parallel as single phase.

Last edited:
shame really. I was interested, but not now they've dropped it
Dropped it? Its listed as the new LVX 12KW WP. I would stay away until they get to at least V2 of the firmware. Seems LUXPOWER is having better luck on the software / firmware front than Voltronics / MPP.

Have you tried to parallel your LV6548 with LV6548V? Is this possible? I have LV6548 and considering getting the V for the PV input but wanted to see if I run them in parallel as single phase.

No, I have not tried to connect the two. MPP Solar has stated that they're not compatible. Also, you cannot load the v69 firmware that the new units have to the older units with the v45 firmware. Don't ask how I know.........

I have never seen a 10k or 11k MPP split phase inverter 120/240 in one AIO unit. The 6048's are the largest 120/240 single inverter MPP have - at least as far as I know.
There is an 11k 240 only output MPP unit, but you need a transformer to make 120 v/N with this unit. $1199 plus ship. I believe it is 75-100W idle.
Maybe @LithiumSolar can get his hands on one and do a video to show us how it does under real world conditions! ;)

I have never seen a 10k or 11k MPP split phase inverter 120/240 in one AIO unit. The 6048's are the largest 120/240 single inverter MPP have - at least as far as I know.
There is an 11k 240 only output MPP unit, but you need a transformer to make 120 v/N with this unit. $1199 plus ship. I believe it is 75-100W idle.
Maybe @LithiumSolar can get his hands on one and do a video to show us how it does under real world conditions! ;)
Nope. A new 10K inverter is now available. It seems to be an updgraded LVX WP version. See the MPP website.

"Admit to all the issues" what issues are they hiding or that we don't know about? Admission of what? Many of the issues EG4 had with voltronic was out of their control. What would you have done differently?

And the EG4 model seems to be better than the other garbage they are releasing. Did you see lithium solars video?
The EG4 version of the lv6548v has the same high idle consumption.

I think @Siamac found the MPP 12KW in another thread...

I had thought about purchasing a spare LV6548. I still might. But things are moving along with offerings from other manufacturers and if I did have an inverter failure, I might just move to something else that has good reports. The LV6548's I have just plain work, but if any hardware/firmware changes were done, then a new unit might not be a wise decision.

I had purchased two LV6548 a few years ago, then later I got to thinking, as I started seeing China putting a lot more pressure on Taiwan's physical boundaries more than any other time in history, I'd better get a couple more spares (in case it soon gets very hard to acquire more), so a year later I bought two more. They are all four still with the 250v PV input (not the new hardware with the 390v PV input).

I am still super slow and just getting the first two mounted on the wall (working on getting infrastructure and cabling in place), but am making progress on it. I have since decided to install both sets, but keep both pairs separate from each other (in an active/standby topology).

The primary 2P1/2P2 will be on one side of my wall, running normally as the active pair, while the 2P1/2P2 on the adjacent side of the wall will be in standby, powered off and disconnected (presumably forever).

Each inverter has its own battery DC breaker, each have separate 60a breaker into the AC breaker panel, separate 60a AC input breakers (for optional gen charging), and I'm installing a pair of 4-channel transfer switches onto the PV runs, so I can flip an A/B switch (at zero current) to move the PV power to the adjacent pair of inverters.

I guess that's my goofy geek project of the year though. Probably 10 years from now it will be all different equipment on that wall, but you never know, maybe it will all become worth it someday.

I've never been bit by keeping cheap spares of tech gadgets around, available, and ready for immediate use, so you can wait til Monday to fix a problem instead of having to cancel dinner on a Friday night to fix something.

I have been working with a lot of my off-grid neighbors installing, consulting, and troubleshooting on these newer systems with super duper capable inverters, and even like the 18kpv and wall battery, and they all look tempting and slick, but my money is already planted in my DIY game, and since I am a mechanic at heart, I don't mind having a somewhat legacy system, with a few more knobs. Perhaps someday when all the neighbors decide to upgrade, I'd just buy some of their equipment used, but for now, I'm still stoked about these LV6548s just fine, and my DIY batteries.

Last edited:
Back