diy solar

diy solar

Should i start over? Change everything?

73powerstroke

Solar Enthusiast
I think that I made a mistake starting out with these 40 epever charged controllers.
I have 3 @$140 with 30days to return by the 20th. $550 for 120amps of cc at under 100v pv max array. Only 12/24v battery capability. Difficult to quickly read or track output.
They are rated 520w at 12v or 1040w at my current 24v system.
I have 240w 60 cell 2s3p on one controller for over paneling. 1440w ,About 15amps difference assuming 100% output. Helps with clouds.
The other has 2s2p. 960w so slightly under the 40amp cc ability. Probably 33amps max.
Then I have 2s2p 100w panels on another 40A CC. So about 13amps max.
So I cant possibly deliver more than 86 amps to my batteries at this setup. And to ad more panels requires more parallels. More current. I could certainly over panel the other group by adding 2s 240w panels.
So im thinking that I can return at least 2 of the epever 40amp tracer 4210an models and switch to something else that might handle all the 240w panels. Currently there's 10 but I can certainly at 2 more .
I think I might want to go to a 36 or 48v system later on. Santan solar has a lv2024 and I think a 3kw 48v one for $700 and $750 they also have a 60 and 80 epever that will support higher battery bank voltages.
I really dont think I have this the best way possible. I'm looking for ideas.
And the batteries I'm going to change later but I have 1 large deep cycle in series with 2p smaller deep cycle batteries. And the 3000w reliable 24v inverter. I'm running ac unit mostly, just during sun hours. I need to draw up a plan.
I'm basically playing around trying to learn what works best.

Attachments

• 20220710_161150.jpg
    20220710_161150.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220710_161159.jpg
    20220710_161159.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220710_161027.jpg
    20220710_161027.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220710_160550.jpg
    20220710_160550.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 11
I think that I made a mistake starting out with these 40 epever charged controllers.
I have 3 @$140 with 30days to return by the 20th. $550 for 120amps of cc at under 100v pv max array. Only 12/24v battery capability. Difficult to quickly read or track output.
They are rated 520w at 12v or 1040w at my current 24v system.
I have 240w 60 cell 2s3p on one controller for over paneling. 1440w ,About 15amps difference assuming 100% output. Helps with clouds.
The other has 2s2p. 960w so slightly under the 40amp cc ability. Probably 33amps max.
Then I have 2s2p 100w panels on another 40A CC. So about 13amps max.
So I cant possibly deliver more than 86 amps to my batteries at this setup. And to ad more panels requires more parallels. More current. I could certainly over panel the other group by adding 2s 240w panels.
So im thinking that I can return at least 2 of the epever 40amp tracer 4210an models and switch to something else that might handle all the 240w panels. Currently there's 10 but I can certainly at 2 more .
I think I might want to go to a 36 or 48v system later on. Santan solar has a lv2024 and I think a 3kw 48v one for $700 and $750 they also have a 60 and 80 epever that will support higher battery bank voltages.
I really dont think I have this the best way possible. I'm looking for ideas.
And the batteries I'm going to change later but I have 1 large deep cycle in series with 2p smaller deep cycle batteries. And the 3000w reliable 24v inverter. I'm running ac unit mostly, just during sun hours. I need to draw up a plan.
I'm basically playing around trying to learn what works best.
Depending upon the size and chemistry of your batteries you may not be able to charge them anywhere near the solar and controllers you already have available,

Depending upon the size and chemistry of your batteries you may not be able to charge them anywhere near the solar and controllers you already have available,
Hmmm ? Fla deep cycle batteries 2 group 24 walmart ones in parallel, in series with a group 31 dc for my 24v. Seems ok they are all new.
I'm considering the 3k 48v mpp solar AIO for $750 from santan solar it's got a 80a cc and when I realized 80a at 48v is like a 160a at 24v. So I should be gaining there. And a built in 3kw pure sine inverter.
$750 vs my 3x 40a epever $420, 3kw 24v inverter $350.
Or get a 100a epever for $400
I have 10x 240w santan panels and still have 4x hf 100w
I'm tempted to go down tomorrow morning and switch for the AIO.
Screenshot_20220710-181117_Opera.jpgScreenshot_20220710-181054_Hancom Office Editor.jpgScreenshot_20220710-181808_Opera.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220710-181035_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220710-181035_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It says the mppt range is 60-115v . That could be a problem. 4panels x38voc=152
3x38voc =114 2x38voc= 76v but I usually see 63v tops on my 2s2p groups. And when sun is bad less than 60. How the hell am I suppose to use my 10 panels.
The 3048lv says it's good for 4kw solar. How the hell at such a low pv input voltage. You can't make big strings unless you were using 12v panels

The 3048lv says it's good for 4kw solar. How the hell at such a low pv input voltage. You can't make big strings unless you were using 12v panels
That's based on 80a of SCC @ 50v of battery. Simplified math and all.

Yeah, one of the downsides to the MPP and Growatt AIO's is the low input voltage so most people end up topped out at 3s on real-size panels.

There are pro's and cons either way between component and AIO's. The AIO's give you more bang for the buck usually and the component being lower idle draw and easier repairs if something dies.

If you really insist on trying to use those HF panels on this system, give them their own controller and put them in 4s so the SCC has enough voltage to actually be useful on a 48v system. After that it's going to be 3s4p to a combiner box for the big boy panels and the AIO.

That's based on 80a of SCC @ 50v of battery. Simplified math and all.

Yeah, one of the downsides to the MPP and Growatt AIO's is the low input voltage so most people end up topped out at 3s on real-size panels.

There are pro's and cons either way between component and AIO's. The AIO's give you more bang for the buck usually and the component being lower idle draw and easier repairs if something dies.

If you really insist on trying to use those HF panels on this system, give them their own controller and put them in 4s so the SCC has enough voltage to actually be useful on a 48v system. After that it's going to be 3s4p to a combiner box for the big boy panels and the AIO.
Yeah I can't decide if it's worth it or not. If the unit fails you're kinda out of luck. Probably not going to fix it. Whereas with a ton of separates they won't all quit. I guess the surge capacity is bad on the AIO. I do like the idea how I could have it plugged in and it should switch to grid power when solar is too weak

I'll mention it's probably worth defining your end goal and then design a system to match.

If you're just playing and having fun, carry on! :)
I'm not sure how much I can really expect to run off 10 panels laying in my backyard for one thing.
But having fun and running the air conditioning seems like all I need. If I didn't have to worry so much about where I can put panels I would probably have alot more and then I wouldn't have enough cc no matter what. I probably could fit another 10 panels on the ground back here haha. Let's say I had 20 240w panels. I wouldn't be able to use that AIO and I'm not sure really how I would harness that many.

The original issue here was running out and buying stuff before knowing what you really needed? So, isn't this just starting over again in a new cycle? SSE is giving you good advice. Plan first, then buy second.

BTW, read the RCinFLA commentary about AiO construction before you make your next decision. Details about what's INSIDE the box that the ads don't mention. A lot of the AiOs out there are just quicky designs with little thought given except how to incorporate the very cheapest available electronic components. That's where the high background consumption and low surge ability is coming from.

I can tell you that my 24V system only has 8 panels, and I'm very happy with it. Now thinking about adding air-conditioning to the workshop to soak up all the extra power. They aren't laying on the ground though.

The original issue here was running out and buying stuff before knowing what you really needed? So, isn't this just starting over again in a new cycle? SSE is giving you good advice. Plan first, then buy second.

BTW, read the RCinFLA commentary about AiO construction before you make your next decision.

Linky?

Details about what's INSIDE the box that the ads don't mention. A lot of the AiOs out there are just quicky designs with little thought given except how to incorporate the very cheapest available electronic components. That's where the high background consumption and low surge ability is coming from.

I can tell you that my 24V system only has 8 panels, and I'm very happy with it. Now thinking about adding air-conditioning to the workshop to soak up all the extra power. They aren't laying on the ground though.

No they aren't. They're on fancy manual trackers!

If the panels will be facing different directions, use separate controllers. If they are all facing the same direction, you could go with one controller if you get one large enough. Of course 18 panels would make it tough for a 6P/3S making 48 amps , 120 volts and 4320 watts, hmmm. All in one systems are great when they work. When they don't, you will be replacing the complete unit instead of components. Someone starting out may feel more comfortable with a an all in one system. Just depends what someone likes.

Yeah I can't decide if it's worth it or not. If the unit fails you're kinda out of luck. Probably not going to fix it. Whereas with a ton of separates they won't all quit. I guess the surge capacity is bad on the AIO. I do like the idea how I could have it plugged in and it should switch to grid power when solar is too weak
You can look into an ATS as well if you are wanting to switch to grid when the batteries get low.

If the panels will be facing different directions, use separate controllers.

This does not apply if all panels in strings are facing the same direction. You could parallel 3S panels to the east with 3S panels to the west, and there would be no meaningful impact to performance. You might see a VERY small performance decrease in the first and last few minutes of each day.

If you have panels in the same string facing different directions, don't.

BTW, read the RCinFLA commentary about AiO construction before you make your next decision. Details about what's INSIDE the box that the ads don't mention. A lot of the AiOs out there are just quicky designs with little thought given except how to incorporate the very cheapest available electronic components. That's where the high background consumption and low surge ability is coming from.

I said I want to run ac. I want to run 2 ac units. The shop one and the bedroom one. I would like to power everything in the shop if possible. There's nothing serious out there that I can expect to power. I have one welder that draws 90amps at 240v so I know that's never going to happen. The other one is prob 50a and my wirefeed and ham amplifiers are all 240v also at at least 20amps. So although I have some heavy stuff , it'll never work. So just light stereo and a radio or 2 . Have to see what my samlex sec1235 draws, I'm sure it's not much.
Some of my older tube stuff might draw a bit.
But none of this kills my power bill like the ac does so if I can just run my 2 ac units im good. The other stuff doesn't matter. But it would be nice to have the bedroom ac run uninterrupted and switch to grid when solar is fading.
Probably a second inverter would do the trick. I know the one 3000w inverter should run both, but for how long?

Really i want a AIO for just the house stuff. So I don't have to fiddle with it and the ac will stay on grid after sun fades and battery get low. A battery less could be interesting. Was looking at growatt from watts247 . Good price but I bet shipping is bad news
So run the house ac and then I can fiddle with the shoo stuff separately

I was considering adding a second inverter to run the second ac unit. Or get AIO to run one and use what I have. I have enough power on one 40a cc array to run one ac unit the other I can easily add 2 more panels. I wonder what would be best in long run. I want to run 2 ac units

So plan it out. 2 AC unit require how many kWh per day. How much battery capacity do you have? Can it run that for the full day from 100% to 0%? Should you run that since you have lead acid batteries? Two inverters isn't a bad idea. Are you looking at full off grid? If so you should have enough capacity for 3-5 days without sun from what I hear.

Planning. Planning. It all comes in due time.

So plan it out. 2 AC unit require how many kWh per day. How much battery capacity do you have? Can it run that for the full day from 100% to 0%? Should you run that since you have lead acid batteries? Two inverters isn't a bad idea. Are you looking at full off grid? If so you should have enough capacity for 3-5 days without sun from what I hear.

Planning. Planning. It all comes in due time.
No just the 2 ac units. Ill use grid for every thing else.
If I was still 12v I have 2 inverters already.
I dont know the kw but I know how many amps the inverter needs to run each one.
I've not spent much on batteries because I'm not interested in storage capacity, the idea was over panel and run ac

Back