diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar refuses to honor a warranty for a defective product! (And Solar Assistant Discussion)

Actually I've run multiple polls and people like signature solar more than sol ark and many other distributors of these Chinese solar products. SS does more volume than the others though, and they come to the forum. So I'm expecting around 10X complaints than the others.

Many of the other distributors don't sell enough to even see the defective cases. Or they may have one every few months. Depends on distributor of course, but signature solar makes most of their customers happy. Not the defective unit ones. Like my megarevo units that had multiple

I think what every complaint has in common is that the customer support does not realize that the unit is actually defective and requires RMA. They need training to understand when the customer needs support or to return the product ASAP and send out a new one. Especially with products coming from China.

SS does more volume than the others though, and they come to the forum. So I'm expecting around 10X complaints than the others.

It would be nice if the other vendors came to the forum more often, it's getting tiring to just attack SignatureSolar all the time. I need fresh meat.

Will, this may be the case, volume wise, service wise I can only speak for myself and the times I have needed support/warranty.
What I expected as a minimum in customer support/service was not meet!
I have had no problems in dealing with Sol-Ark, I have had an answer to all question asked with in 0.5 Hours to 24.
I have asked signature solar about various things, inverter and battery, just to get vague answers.
(Why are my SOH/Charge amps different on my EG4 lifepower batteries) with less than 100 cycles they were at 97.3, 97.5, 98.4 SOH, 54.5v all say 100Ah.
S.S ANSWER TO THIS WAS TO LET THEM DISCHARGE TO 20%. This did not reset anything. I set inverter to charge to 57.2V (2x jackipers/2 x trophy/and 1x overkill solar with same batteries in eg4s all @100 SOH.

I think what every complaint has in common is that the customer support does not realize that the unit is actually defective and requires RMA. They need training to understand when the customer needs support or to return the product ASAP and send out a new one. Especially with products coming from China.

The issue there is the amount of people installing these that have no clue what they’re doing. If you look on any social media site you’ll see so many eg4 installs that are downright scary.

So tech support has to weed out these type of installs first. That can’t be easy. They can definitely stream line things further I’m sure. It’s definitely not an easy task though.

The issue there is the amount of people installing these that have no clue what they’re doing. If you look on any social media site you’ll see so many eg4 installs that are downright scary.

So tech support has to weed out these type of installs first. That can’t be easy. They can definitely stream line things further I’m sure. It’s definitely not an easy task though.
I also have seen this, I'm my case I have PV input on breakers and fuses, and batteries on breakers and fuses, Ac output on breakers. All in pannels, and troughs. Wired with largest AWG/that it will fit (multistrand copper).

No, I don't call customer support. They are useless to me. I am a diy type person and figure things out on my own. If it doesn't work for me, I make a video crying about it.

When I get a defective product, I blast YouTube with my problems. Gets more views.
I seem to recall that you work closely with SS, particularly with the 18k or maybe the 12k. I seem to recall in one of your videos you were talking with SS support fairly regularly about all the issues you were having plus two or three replacements. That's all I was talking about.

You can't replace people you don't get rid of. It's doubtful it's the employees though, more than likely, they are echoing talking points from above.
TOTALLY TRUE sir…In most operations of society the employees/ underlings will adopt the attitude of the senior managers or owners.. A marine drill instructor once told me as a young man that,
“ there are no bad troops, there are only bad leaders”..

after a lifetime of observing society ,I find this to be a universal truth..
The rank and file of any organization will become anything they see the top brass will allow.

Like children, with bad role models as parents they generally become poor adults.

J.

This is what I thought was going to happen! I had $set aside to add #4 ex6500/16 Can Sol 400w bifacial and the ground mounts(all from Signature Solar) then the units I was using gave up thier smoke, bad warranty experience, so no more cash from me to them.

That's their target audience. Those are the people paying their paychecks. Dance with the one that brought you.

On a serious note, yeah, must be a real pain in the butt.

I seem to recall that you work closely with SS, particularly with the 18k or maybe the 12k. I seem to recall in one of your videos you were talking with SS support fairly regularly about all the issues you were having plus two or three replacements. That's all I was talking about.
The first time I did that was to test to see how bad their call system was. Everyone here on the forum was complaining about it and it worked great for me. If people didn't complain here I would never have called them.

Next, I had to contact them for communication protocol set up on the new power pro battery. I texted Markus for that one. Personally I never would have set that system up, but I know a lot of my viewers like the communication. Setting the communication protocol on that was a pain and I think they need to rewrite the manual.

That's not regularly communicating with customer support. If I had to do that I would consider myself pretty pathetic and not able to run my channel. I absolutely hate customer service and support lines.

None of these products should require contacting anyone for setup. The manual and quick start guide should be plenty. When people contact support it should be because they have a defective unit.

Why does everyone like solar assistant? Is there a feature that I should know about because it doesn't seem that appealing at all.

I personally like autonomous systems probably because I come from robotics. I do not like monitoring my system at all. Usually I will walk around my system with a clamp meter to make sure everything's functioning right. And then do a capacity test on my batteries every few months.

I don't know how "closely" he works with them, but I do recall him contacting SS support or something on one of his videos about the EG4 8kVA. He really didn't seem to like that product. :ROFLMAO: I can certainly see how you might have blocked that experience out @Will Prowse

Found it..

I don't know how "closely" he works with them, but I do recall him contacting SS support or something on one of his videos about the EG4 8kVA. He really didn't seem to like that product. :ROFLMAO: I can certainly see how you might have blocked that experience out @Will Prowse

Found it..
Oh lord you're right ? absolutely hated that one! Just awful.

None of these products should require contacting anyone for setup. The manual and quick start guide should be plenty. When people contact support it should be because they have a defective unit.

Why does everyone like solar assistant? Is there a feature that I should know about because it doesn't seem that appealing at all.

I personally like autonomous systems probably because I come from robotics. I do not like monitoring my system at all. Usually I will walk around my system with a clamp meter to make sure everything's functioning right. And then do a capacity test on my batteries every few months.
As you have said, you want set and forget. For me Solar Assistant is the device that gives me real time info on everything that is hooked up to it, no 5 min delay, can be used from anything that is online and can connect ti site. Adjustment can be done on the fly with this app and I swap off between my battery banks for monitoring charge state, cell high ,low, avg. Bms temp, cell temps, alot of info for numbers junkie.

As you have said, you want set and forget. For me Solar Assistant is the device that gives me real time info on everything that is hooked up to it, no 5 min delay, can be used from anything that is online and can connect ti site. Adjustment can be done on the fly with this app and I swap off between my battery banks for monitoring charge state, cell high ,low, avg. Bms temp, cell temps, alot of info for numbers junkie.
While a good product does require a lot less tech support, something that you can run a home with should have really good tech support.

Solar Assistant is probably one of those things that you don't know how fun it is until you actually have it set up and start playing with it. I don't have it, but it sounds neat.

If you don’t want to keep an eye on your system, it would have no benefit to you.

For those that want to see what’s going on, or even troubleshoot why something is happening, having real-time data at your fingertips is a lot more helpful than the 5-10 min snapshot that WatchPower provides.

It also allows you to make changes to your system remotely. I seem to recall you saying you use the app for your 18kPV instead of using the display because it’s just easier. It’s the same thing. Instead of having to scroll through arbitrary menus and remember what a specific menu number is, you can just look for the function you wish to change.

If you don’t want to keep an eye on your system, it would have no benefit to you.

For those that want to see what’s going on, or even troubleshoot why something is happening, having real-time data at your fingertips is a lot more helpful than the 5-10 min snapshot that WatchPower provides.

It also allows you to make changes to your system remotely. I seem to recall you saying you use the app for your 18kPV instead of using the display because it’s just easier. It’s the same thing. Instead of having to scroll through arbitrary menus and remember what a specific menu number is, you can just look for the function you wish to change.
Thanks for last video on Victron interface apps.

Preach! I've set up a measly 3 systems so far, I don't need no stinking support to get things running but if they break or have issues the manual doesn't cover support better know the product they are selling.
Attached is why I like SA. Quick easy access to data on a local network with no phoning back to wherever the servers are located with the ability to be viewed remotely if connected to the internet.
I can't remember if you ever used the watch power app when you were running the Voltronic equipment, if you used that junk compared to SA you'd understand why people love it. The wifi dongle for my SRNE is still in the box, I highly doubt it will ever be used.
Another great feature with SA is the 10 second interval data captures, most other equipment is much longer.
I'm sure the monitoring software for 'tier 1' equipment is much better.
I can relate to that. I don't check it nearly as often as when I first started my solar expedition / addiction but it's nice to be able to check in easily.

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_104807.jpg
    IMG_20230916_104807.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230916_104953.jpg
    IMG_20230916_104953.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230916_104850.jpg
    IMG_20230916_104850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230916_104914.jpg
    IMG_20230916_104914.jpg
    992.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230916_105415.jpg
    IMG_20230916_105415.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 8

I don’t disagree that some of the installations that I have seen on social media and the forum scare me. Some of it is due to just the excitement of getting the things set up and making a simple mistake, others. It’s a complete lack of understanding of what they’re trying to accomplish.

Ultimately, I think the biggest issue that support has is a lack of communication. They really don’t seem to be able to keep you in the loop with what’s going on. You have to badger them left and right in order to get an answer, as we’ve seen in this thread. Whether that’s a lack of training, or just the fact that the tech is green who’s to say? I had a list of questions with support that took almost 9 months to get completed.

I will say that a companies support team is your first line of interaction with a customer in most cases, and needs to be top-tier.

diy solar

diy solar
Back