diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

Thanks. M5400-PM is the AC Voltage regulator using tap switching autotransformer and multi-stage filter power conditioner unit.

I don't believe a passive filtering device would be able to correct the problem. When we were on gen power I had to install that unit to get a clear image and eliminate hum. It wasn't cheap but it solved the problem 100%. Fluctuating dirty power in, crystal clear120v 60hz on the output. Well worth the money. Too bad they don't make a whole home version
If anyone knows of a hardwired solution for an active transformer based line conditioner please let me know. I need a permanent code complaint solution.

Would be real nice to have a data logging of AC inverter waveforms over a much longer time than just an oscilloscope capture since that did not really show anything obvious. Maybe the inverter just has poor AC regulation ?

Would be real nice to have a data logging of AC inverter waveforms over a much longer time than just an oscilloscope capture since that did not really show anything obvious. Maybe the inverter just has poor AC regulation ?
It is easily visible on the scope but my camera just doesnt capture it well. I did see the exact waveform anomalies on a YT video about Growatt flickering. He said his stabilizes after some time but mine does not.

Sometimes, you will see kind of a "warble" in the waveform when looking at just a few cycles of waveform.

If you zoom out in time, showing, for example, 100 milliseconds per division, or maybe even a bit slower, the repetitive wiggles or ups and downs in the amplitude of the waveform. It's just that it is hard to catch and press stop at just the right time.
You could also set the trigger to just above the 170V peak area to catch the higher voltage cycles. But if that voltage is lower than 120V RMS or ~170V peak, it is quite a bit harder. Also harder to see if the voltage is ramping up and down over several cycles if that is what is happening.

Does this sound possible ?

boB

Sometimes, you will see kind of a "warble" in the waveform when looking at just a few cycles of waveform.

If you zoom out in time, showing, for example, 100 milliseconds per division, or maybe even a bit slower, the repetitive wiggles or ups and downs in the amplitude of the waveform. It's just that it is hard to catch and press stop at just the right time.
You could also set the trigger to just above the 170V peak area to catch the higher voltage cycles. But if that voltage is lower than 120V RMS or ~170V peak, it is quite a bit harder. Also harder to see if the voltage is ramping up and down over several cycles if that is what is happening.

Does this sound possible ?

boB
I would have to get my hands on another scope. The manufacturer just got back to me and seem keen to getting to the bottom of this so that is a plus. They are tracking the manufacturing dates and now think there might have been a lot of bad units. Sounds like I am not the only one having problems.

That's great ! You're seeing things.... (Or not seeing things.) So to speak :) And the problem (hopefully) gets resolved without a glitch.

Would be nice if they say anything about what the problem really was ? I wouldn't expect them to but, who knows ?
Might be an interesting story ?!?

boB

Ooops !

Last edited:
We shall see. At this point I'm open to getting another permit and replacing it with something else if they are willing to send it.

So I have done a quick and dirty test of 12 LED bulbs and 1 CFL and 1 regular 43w bulb....yes I have a bulb fettish !!!
I could see the mearist hint of flicker on some of the LED's without any dimmer at all, kind of like a nervous twitch rather than a constant flicker.
Then I added a dimmer, old and non LED rated but it seemed to run most of the LED's OK to some degree, some hated it lol.
However, it absolutely increased the flicker on all bulbs when dimmed.
I will scope the output another day and try the same experiments with a Growatt 6k transformer inverter and possibly the Sol-ark too.
I am also going to get an LED rated dimmer to test with.

This is with the new inverter directly wired to the 3rd set of LED cans, no switches connected. 1 is the lights in night mode and the other is in regular.
Night Mode

Regular mode

Now imagine every light in your house doing that and you can understand my frustration. I can deal with some flickering under changing loads or here and there but that is excessive.

Last edited:
That is not nice, would drive me crazy.
Quick update, I happened to be going through the settings on the inverter and the fans kicked up a pace and I noticed my solar input was over 1kw for the first time I had seen it today. Well the flicker increased with the PV power going up too.
I also noticed the light dim briefly when I plugged in a 1500w heater. My conclusion is that I will run my lighting circuits separately to my utility room when I build my house. They can have their own little inverter....maybe even a direct 24/48v dc lighting system.

Oh man, sounds like your in for the exact same experience as myself! sales01@sungoldpower.com is the support email. I would get in contact with Alisa. Don't forget that you only have 30 days to get your money back they start them from the order date not delivery date. Those videos were recorded around 8:30pm so there was no PV input. During the day it is more erratic but much harder to capture on the camera.

I will but they have language that says tough shit.
"If you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply let us know within 30 days. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused"
So how does one test it and become unsatisfied !!!!

Meh... I would fight that one with VISA all day long. Like you said how would you know there is an issue until it is installed. I have their emails saying it is not "normal" so that right there is grounds for a refund.

I know both Eaton and Leviton make single line 10-20 amp power conditioners. I've played with some huge industrial units before that can handle 240v 50-100 amp but they are super expensive. Probably would be better off in that case with a new inverter..... But if you just want to condition a few breakers you could probably get a good deal on ebay or something.

By
I know both Eaton and Leviton make single line 10-20 amp power conditioners. I've played with some huge industrial units before that can handle 240v 50-100 amp but they are super expensive. Probably would be better off in that case with a new inverter..... But if you just want to condition a few breakers you could probably get a good deal on ebay or something.
By any chance do you have links? I have been looking all day and all I can find are inline. I have installed large transformers in homes for dirty power but those were VERY expensive and I don't want to go down that road.

So I have done a quick and dirty test of 12 LED bulbs and 1 CFL and 1 regular 43w bulb....yes I have a bulb fettish !!!
I could see the mearist hint of flicker on some of the LED's without any dimmer at all, kind of like a nervous twitch rather than a constant flicker.
Then I added a dimmer, old and non LED rated but it seemed to run most of the LED's OK to some degree, some hated it lol.
However, it absolutely increased the flicker on all bulbs when dimmed.
I will scope the output another day and try the same experiments with a Growatt 6k transformer inverter and possibly the Sol-ark too.
I am also going to get an LED rated dimmer to test with.
So your inverter is the low frequency inverter by Sungoldpower? I have been looking at them but not sure how well it works.

I see that Sungoldpower says "SunGoldPower is a renewable energy company that was founded by a famous engineer in 2010"

Who was this famous engineer ?

Does Growatt make Sungoldpower inverters ? I don't think I have every heard of Sungoldpower before

boB

Supposedly I will be speaking to an engineer, I truly hope he is the famous one ?. Old inverter is going back to California for him to inspect it and hopefully come up with a solution. Someone correct me but I was under the impression that Voltronic made Growatt, MPP, the EG4 units and SunGold Power. https://voltronicpower.com/ Would also make sense since they offered to swap the unit for something from one of the other names above.

Supposedly I will be speaking to an engineer, I truly hope he is the famous one ?. Old inverter is going back to California for him to inspect it and hopefully come up with a solution.
Wow... a famous engineer. LOL

Sorry if some one has already suggested this but I just got here.

What about a small dedicated pure sine wave inverter just for lights? I suspect every light in your house adds up to less than 300 watts. Just a thought.

Back