diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

Yeah, I've watched them. Thank you though. I don't need one as it never faults with anything else in my home or garage. I run an all electric home, 6.25 tons of 16-33 SEER heat pumps, 80 gal water heater, standard speedqueen washer/dryer, with the heat kits disabled by a toggle switch on the low voltage. I don't want the extra parasitic load. I have four other power sources (eg4's, generac 10kW, hospital power supply- 2000W, Magnum- 4000W that I can run that saw with.
How do you like the EG4? Have you beat it up any and how does it fair?

How do you like the EG4? Have you beat it up any and how does it fair?
Both EG4 6500ex on test bench started my Dewalt saw fine with a 1500W heater running too. After I turned the beeper off, got parameters set, it ran fine. for the price, if it'll last me 10 years, I'll be real happy. The menu/display is not great, but I'm used to that as I do HVAC. These new thermostats and my new $46 JK BMS 4.3" LCD...very sharp for the price and it gives you V, A, SOC with battery segments and changing colors as SOC goes down, in big characters for my old eyes, calibratable(if that is the right word) in the app and very accurate.

I hear you and each to their own but it's a know issue with the inverter internally regardless of how well balanced your loads are. You should be able to start a simple saw for how much that cost. As I mentioned some people including "bens solar" which is a licensed installer noted this and the way they solved their issue was to install a auto transformer. If you want you can find this all on youtube.

What a joke all that money for an inverter and you have to add a transformer...

Yup. Even with my LVX issues it's still cheaper for me to buy a smaller inverter just to run the heat pump. for 8.5k I can buy a lot of chinese inverters. Oh wait they are all made in China.
Not just made in China, but the Sol-Ark is a rebranded China-designed inverter with a massive markup cost. I'm sure part of the markup is to have an actual tech support team that doesn't leave you to figure it all out by yourself like 99% of the Chinese built things are, and it has UL certs and whatever else. Although maybe Deye did the UL part on their own so that may not matter much, I don't know. Anyway, I think their business model of basically lying to people is utter crap.

Not just made in China, but the Sol-Ark is a rebranded China-designed inverter with a massive markup cost. I'm sure part of the markup is to have an actual tech support team that doesn't leave you to figure it all out by yourself like 99% of the Chinese built things are, and it has UL certs and whatever else. Although maybe Deye did the UL part on their own so that may not matter much, I don't know. Anyway, I think their business model of basically lying to people is utter crap.
Everything is made cheap and then sold on at a mark up. A Ford truck does not cost 50k to make, but they need to support a dealer supply chain etc.
Only recently have we been able to bypass the retail chain and buy shit from China directly at what used to be large savings, but bugger all support.
Now they have cottoned onto us and the Ali prices are similar to regular retail pricing....but still bugger all service.
You can't have it all.

correction, it is british designed ;)

Everything is made cheap and then sold on at a mark up. A Ford truck does not cost 50k to make, but they need to support a dealer supply chain etc.
Only recently have we been able to bypass the retail chain and buy shit from China directly at what used to be large savings, but bugger all support.
Now they have cottoned onto us and the Ali prices are similar to regular retail pricing....but still bugger all service.
You can't have it all.
No I get that everything has mark-up. But there is reasonable mark up and unreasonable. I don't know how much tech support eats into Sol-Ark's bottom end. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like an extreme mark-up for that though. I could be totally wrong.

I still don't like their "American Engineering!" thing when just using relabeled stuff that they didn't actually engineer. That's my biggest gripe with them is the dishonesty.

What a joke all that money for an inverter and you have to add a transformer...
I have not and will not add one to my system. They both run my home just fine. I know the small flaw and I have alternatives. Some people spend their money on big houses, fancy cars, vacations, airplanes, stock investments, boats, RV's, ATV's. It's not a joke if that is what they want to spend their hard or easy earned money on. I like my little starter 400W system, my 1000W work van system, my cheaper shop system and the more expensive home system and glad to see more people getting into solar every day. Buy what you can afford and let's help each other where we can. I'm just an HVAC guy, so I can help with some of those questions.

I would not have bought a Sol-ark, because I am cheap. However it came as a package with 45 330w panels, Solaredge optimisers and main unit and 4 10kw batteries. Found on marketplace after ordering the SP6548 and 16 280 batteries so now I am fully loaded with gear !!!
I tried it, it works great and support helped with a small problem that needed a part. However it has struggled to start my 3ton AC compressor.
The pair of SP6548 have so far been 100% able to start it, even with 4500w going to the water heater too.

I would not have bought a Sol-ark, because I am cheap. However it came as a package with 45 330w panels, Solaredge optimisers and main unit and 4 10kw batteries. Found on marketplace after ordering the SP6548 and 16 280 batteries so now I am fully loaded with gear !!!
I tried it, it works great and support helped with a small problem that needed a part. However it has struggled to start my 3ton AC compressor.
The pair of SP6548 have so far been 100% able to start it, even with 4500w going to the water heater too.
Do you have a soft start on your a/c? Even if it will start your condensing unit, our inverters will last longer if they're not loaded with that inrush current every single time. Plus it is better for your compressors, contactor inside the unit, wiring, terminals breakers, etc 25-30% the inrush current. Two of my hvac systems are fully variable speed, the other two have standard PSC compressors, so they got the soft starters. I don't know if my little 2 ton PSC and 1.5 ton PSC compressors would have caused any problems or not.

It's a 1yr old Carrier heat pump cheap builders unit with no soft start. I could add one but they are hard to find at the moment plus we will not be here too long so not spending money on it. I have thought about adding a short time delay relay for the fan.
The home I am building will have a variable speed compressor unit, either Mr Cool or ACIQ

Note on these from the next batch, if you happen to be wanting to add more to your system. I don't know why as I thought it was a simple buck regulator added to the PV inputs.

NOTE: The max PV open circuit voltage of two MPPT controllers will be upgraded from 250VDC to 390VDC from September, and the 250VDC version can't be parallel with the 390VDC version.

@Quattrohead have you checked the power usage on the grid supply? Just hooked up monitoring on the entire service and see 90-100watts being pulled from the grid by the inverter at all times when grid power is supplied to the unit. This can not be normal.

@Quattrohead have you checked the power usage on the grid supply? Just hooked up monitoring on the entire service and see 90-100watts being pulled from the grid by the inverter at all times when grid power is supplied to the unit. This can not be normal.
Could that be the cap? good thing I don't have grid hooked up.

81-104 watts is being drawn from the grid whether the unit has it's outputs on or off. The 9 watt background draw is the clock of the stove and the electronics on the heat pump hot water heater.

So with the grid off the load shifts to the battery. Looks like all the standby power usage of the unit is drawn from the grid if it is available with no option to disable it. THAT IS DUMB!

diy solar

diy solar
Back