diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

@Quattrohead have you checked the power usage on the grid supply? Just hooked up monitoring on the entire service and see 90-100watts being pulled from the grid by the inverter at all times when grid power is supplied to the unit. This can not be normal.

@Quattrohead have you checked the power usage on the grid supply? Just hooked up monitoring on the entire service and see 90-100watts being pulled from the grid by the inverter at all times when grid power is supplied to the unit. This can not be normal.
Could that be the cap? good thing I don't have grid hooked up.

81-104 watts is being drawn from the grid whether the unit has it's outputs on or off. The 9 watt background draw is the clock of the stove and the electronics on the heat pump hot water heater.

So with the grid off the load shifts to the battery. Looks like all the standby power usage of the unit is drawn from the grid if it is available with no option to disable it. THAT IS DUMB!

So with the grid off the load shifts to the battery. Looks like all the standby power usage of the unit is drawn from the grid if it is available with no option to disable it. THAT IS DUMB!
I dunno it sounds like a good idea to me. Saves your battery SOC.

2-3KWh of usage a day comes from the grid if have it connected! This explains why my calculations have been off for how much the power bill should be.

I have 45kw of battery... I am not worried about that. If it defaulted to grid for that load there should be an option to put that load on the solar/battery. If it is on SBU it should default to that automatically.

I have 45kw of battery... I am not worried about that. If it defaulted to grid for that load there should be an option to put that load on the solar/battery. If it is on SBU it should default to that automatically.
well check with sungoldpower see if it's by design, just in case

I sent them an email. They are still "working" on a resolution for the flickering lights so I have little faith this will go anywhere. The point of a hybrid unit is to use as little grid power as possible. Drawing the standby load from the grid when there is solar and battery available makes 0 sense to me.

I sent them an email. They are still "working" on a resolution for the flickering lights so I have little faith this will go anywhere. The point of a hybrid unit is to use as little grid power as possible. Drawing the standby load from the grid when there is solar and battery available makes 0 sense to me.
Well they seem similar to MPP solar. I fixed my issue but I decided I don't like the transformer buzz and the fact that I can't parallel without issue so put in a preorder for Eg4 6500ex. Time to sell the LVX!

Just finished installing an SP6548 with 2 48v packs I built from eve 280k cells and 6kw of panels. Having a bit of a problem and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Upon firing everything up I noticed that any fixtures with a dimmable LED flicker. We have dimmable LED cans in our kitchen, family room and some ceiling fans. All wiring sizes are correct and I checked my wiring multiple times. So far I tried:
adding more load to the system up to 2kw
isolating the load so only the breaker for the lights was on
turning off the panels
turned off the AC input to the unit
disconnecting the batteries and running off of just solar

All the above still resulted in flickering. I can get the flicker to go away by putting it in bypass mode or running the same sub panel off the generator so it's not the panel wiring. I see threads here and there talking about flickering but no real solution. Hard to watch TV or cook when your lights want to put on a strobe show. Everything else works just fine. Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Yeah I would suspect the problem is in the dimmers try to eliminate the dimmers and see if the flicker goes away

Do you have a soft start on your a/c? Even if it will start your condensing unit, our inverters will last longer if they're not loaded with that inrush current every single time. Plus it is better for your compressors, contactor inside the unit, wiring, terminals breakers, etc 25-30% the inrush current. Two of my hvac systems are fully variable speed, the other two have standard PSC compressors, so they got the soft starters. I don't know if my little 2 ton PSC and 1.5 ton PSC compressors would have caused any problems or not.
Do your variable speed units start ok on the inverters? I have two EG 4 6.5K in split phase and a newly installed Lennox 4-ton variable speed heat pump system installed with propane for the heating, dual fuel no electric elements. I know my old unit had104LRA to start but with these new variable ones, I think a lot less is required. I am hesitant to try to start the HVAC because I don't want to damage it. I can start my deep well pump fine which pulls 40A per leg inrush current.

When I first connected my two inverters in split phase I didn't have the power use balanced between legs and I got the flickering lights. Once I balanced the output loads the flickering instantly stopped. I had three fridges on one leg with hardly anything on the other. When I added a window ac to the mix on the other leg all is fine.

Back