diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

That is a big cap, 20uF 350VAC, you should check the standby current draw before and after the cap is installed.
Agreed! that was my first question to their "engineer"... no response days later. I will absolutely check the draw. At that point the unit has lost any certification it had achieved and my inspector will never sign off on the install. I'll give it a go for completions sake of this thread.

Yep, the more I poked around the more I found that links them to MPP and Signature Solar as the OEM manufacturer. Also explains why they offered them as replacement options.
It's funny how people will find any possible way to drag Signature Solar into a discussion. In this case they have absolutely nothing to do with the junk you bought and you should issue a public apology for even attempting to link them to it.

Voltronic is the OEM manufacturer for your unit and so many different brands it will make your head spin. They build the units to the individual company specifications so it is unfair to compare identical looking units from the outside, as their internal components and build quality will differ depending on what MPP, EG4 etc spec in their designs.

It's funny how people will find any possible way to drag Signature Solar into a discussion. In this case they have absolutely nothing to do with the junk you bought and you should issue a public apology for even attempting to link them to it.

Voltronic is the OEM manufacturer for your unit and so many different brands it will make your head spin. They build the units to the individual company specifications so it is unfair to compare identical looking units from the outside, as their internal components and build quality will differ depending on what MPP, EG4 etc spec in their designs.
I said, they offered that unit as a replacement! You will get no apology since your statement was strictly inflammatory. You want to come in a month later, tell people that are having issues they bought junk and expect me to be ok with that.. go bark up another righteous tree and let people solve their issues without the nonsense.

Pretty sure the Growatt 6000T has a pair of sizable caps across it's output too.
Not sure how I feel about parking that amount of capacitance across my AC output.

Well, as I told them you can not fit anything into the lugs when you use 4ga per the manual. Had to use 90deg ring terminals and attach it to the upper outlet screws. This means it hangs, not ideal. Idle power consumption increased and varies between 0 and 5W, tolerable.
Quickly checked the lights, the Lutron dimmers still act the same, flicker badly. The newer ceiling fan with the title 5 bulbs is 80% better. The older ceiling fans with the same bulbs, flicker regardless of dimmer position. Standard fixtures with constant on LED's flicker much less. I would give this "fix" a 3 out of 10. Unit is now usable as long as you do not have dimmers. But, in my case it seems like they just sent a part out without even validating if it fixes the issue.
At this point I am done investing time and money into this. I will live with it until it dies and needs replacement. Still stand by my previous statement of do not purchase this unit as they are not shipping with the cap installed and it's effect is minimal especially if you have led's on dimmers.

Well, as I told them you can not fit anything into the lugs when you use 4ga per the manual. Had to use 90deg ring terminals and attach it to the upper outlet screws. This means it hangs, not ideal. Idle power consumption increased and varies between 0 and 5W, tolerable.
Quickly checked the lights, the Lutron dimmers still act the same, flicker badly. The newer ceiling fan with the title 5 bulbs is 80% better. The older ceiling fans with the same bulbs, flicker regardless of dimmer position. Standard fixtures with constant on LED's flicker much less. I would give this "fix" a 3 out of 10. Unit is now usable as long as you do not have dimmers. But, in my case it seems like they just sent a part out without even validating if it fixes the issue.
At this point I am done investing time and money into this. I will live with it until it dies and needs replacement. Still stand by my previous statement of do not purchase this unit as they are not shipping with the cap installed and it's effect is minimal especially if you have led's on dimmers.
You can get similar cap from Amazon for 6 bucks, 2 pack. My LVX6048 does the same when there is lots of solar coming in. When solar not produced at night my lights do not flicker. I don't use lights during the day anyhow so it does not affect me, except my heat pump does not like it. I will need an inverter just for the heat pump. It's what we have to deal with when we buy cheap Chinese inverters.

This happens all the time, not just with solar input. Thinking of going Victron if this really drives us nuts.

Well, I installed CREE bulbs from Amazon. No more flicker from my variable speed heat pump on the bathroom 6 LED's!!!

Now domething new...my Sol-Ark 12K's shut down when I start my Dewalt circular saw. But a 2000W hospital backup power supply and my new EG4 6500ex runs it good. How ridiculous. It's always something. ??‍???
This is common but the people that point this failure out about solark especially folks like David Poz get attacked by the solark fan boys. Solark is a good inverter as it's made by deye which makes good inverters but it has a problem with shutting down when getting a imbalance. I believe it's bens solar on youtube, he installs solark and is the one who will actually admit this. The solution...to parallel a auto transformer inline to balance the loads.

This is common but the people that point this failure out about solark especially folks like David Poz get attacked by the solark fan boys. Solark is a good inverter as it's made by deye which makes good inverters but it has a problem with shutting down when getting a imbalance. I believe it's bens solar on youtube, he installs solark and is the one who will actually admit this. The solution...to parallel a auto transformer inline to balance the loads.
I have not seen any verified imbalance issues. My 15k definitely doesn't have that issue.

I have not seen any verified imbalance issues. My 15k definitely doesn't have that issue.
For one I believe they've improved it from the 8k/12k models. And second, the higher output helps to overcome this on loads that would otherwise cause the inverter to shut down. This issue is documented pretty well on the net. Even when people ran tests on a bench with the loads being balanced it still had this issue.

For what they charge the below 15k model needs to be fixed. Even my lvx doesn't have that issue.

I have been running my pair of SP6548 for a week now on our AC unit....and it handles it fabulously.
They can start it with the water heater on too. So they may have a shitty output quality but boy can they shift some amps !!!

IMO Sol Ark is overrated. Sure it has a nice feature set, but it has the balance issues, costs a ton, and frankly the business is a little misleading at best (USA they say, but it is made in China.) Meh.

Back