diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

I noticed the high pitch whine but didn't correlate that to the front panel led as much as just inverter noise. If that is just the rgb noise... what the hell were they thinking designing that driver

I noticed the high pitch whine but didn't correlate that to the front panel led as much as just inverter noise. If that is just the rgb noise... what the hell were they thinking designing that driver
Try turning off the front panel LED and let me know if you hear the whine go away :) Oh, btw, it's way more noisy if you turn the RGB effect to breathing or scrolling and set the brightness to low or medium.

Last edited:
Well, I did receive a tracking number for a supposed replacement inverter. I word it that way because the shipment is 18lbs less than the last one so I am worried they sent the wrong unit. I called to verify and was told she asked her supervisor to place the order. Coming from the person that said they did not have PC access today... shaking my head.

Just for fun figured I'd scope my inverter (Growatt LF) and standard power grid wave.

Local Grid Power Sample 20220725_031155.jpg

Growatt LF Inverter Sample
20220725_031037.jpg

After reading around and debating on setting up a pi for remote web monitoring I came across dessmonitor.com Amazing how there is no mention of it in the documentation. I logged in using my watchpower credentials and BINGO.. instant remote access from any browser! I also found this under the alarm info tab. Definitely something going on with this unit. 1658752512517.png

Last edited:
Replacement inverter is in, reliance transfer panel is out, SAME LED FLICKERING. Pretty disgusted with this unit at this point. So much time and money thrown at such a dumb problem that should not exist. As a last ditch effort I ran some 12/2 out of the new panel directly to the lighting circuit in the kitchen. Isolated the circuit and same flickering. 100% poorly designed inverter. Not sure what to do next.

That really sucks. It is fairly disturbing that an inverter that has been promoted so heavily would perform this terribly. I'm thinking you really only have one option left. Grab an inverter with a clean sign wave or find some LED's that don't flicker with an ugly wave.

That really sucks. It is fairly disturbing that an inverter that has been promoted so heavily would perform this terribly. I'm thinking you really only have one option left. Grab an inverter with a clean sign wave or find some LED's that don't flicker with an ugly wave.
So I went on a LED spree last night. Picked up 1 pack of just about every LED can and edison base bulb at HD and Lowes. They are going to hate me when I attempt to return most of them. I tried 3 6" led can lights, all flickered.

I am more upset about the lack of real information from the manufacturer. All I get is "it shouldn't do that". Well, I have sent videos, pictures, measurements, circuit diagrams and received 0 back. At least they sent me another unit but same result. I built the system around this unit and already incurred an additional 700 in wasted costs due to removing the reliance panel and installing a true sub panel. Just very frustrated. Took the fun out of the project and made it stressful.
They requested I remove my negative review of the unit but I refuse. It does not work properly. I will update it to reflect them finally sending a replacement. But the unit itself... I would not recommend it.

For completions sake these are the products that have been tested and flicker occurs:
Lutron Dimmer TGCL-153PH-WH
Leviton Dimmer TSL06-1LW
Leviton Dimmer DW3HL-BW
Philips Hue LED Bulbs
Ecosmart LED Bulbs
GE Reveal LED Bulbs
Feit LED Bulb
Commericial Electric LED Can 1003 456 565
Commercial Electric LED Can CDLPS350R15
Commercial Electric LED Can CDLPS388R12

Yes, the flicker is much less at full power but we never run our lights at full power so dimmers are necessary. Once dimmed at all the flicker is better described as strobing. This is only an issue with this inverter. Ecoflow Delta Pro, Ego Nexus or grid 0 flickering.

Doing a quick search on led dimmers and led flicker problems it seems they are adjustable for how low you can dim to help prevent flicker and strobing. They also seem to have a life span which I was unaware of.

I am more upset about the lack of real information from the manufacturer. All I get is "it shouldn't do that". Well, I have sent videos, pictures, measurements, circuit diagrams and received 0 back. At least they sent me another unit but same result. I built the system around this unit and already incurred an additional 700 in wasted costs due to removing the reliance panel and installing a true sub panel. Just very frustrated. Took the fun out of the project and made it stressful.
They requested I remove my negative review of the unit but I refuse. It does not work properly. I will update it to reflect them finally sending a replacement. But the unit itself... I would not recommend it.
I agree, it’s a very stressful situation to be in. It’s an expensive, heavy unit and not getting a proper diagnosis from the manufacturer just seems like they don’t care.

After hearing all the rave reviews of my inverter unit I thought it was a definite win. But flickering lights is a fail. I’m just glad I finally fixed mine after the fan replacement. Curious, do you also have the YCCFAN brand fans in your unit? The ones that were in my unit were YDH8038B12 model number.

Doing a quick search on led dimmers and led flicker problems it seems they are adjustable for how low you can dim to help prevent flicker and strobing. They also seem to have a life span which I was unaware of
Usually, you are just adjusting the low and high level of the dimmer. This will help with wiring issues and a few other minor annoyances. But if your power source frequency is dancing like a wet noodle nothing will keep it from operating abnormally. most modern LED lighting electronics depends on having a set power at a normal 60hz frequency.

Low threshold of these is 5%. Dimmer can't go anything below 100%. Dimmers are 2 years for the oldest and 1 day for the newest. Good info though for others that stumble onto this.

I agree, it’s a very stressful situation to be in. It’s an expensive, heavy unit and not getting a proper diagnosis from the manufacturer just seems like they don’t care.

After hearing all the rave reviews of my inverter unit I thought it was a definite win. But flickering lights is a fail. I’m just glad I finally fixed mine after the fan replacement. Curious, do you also have the YCCFAN brand fans in your unit? The ones that were in my unit were YDH8038B12 model number.
They are YCCFAN branded.

The idea that people are taking out loans to buy inverters because somebody made a video on youtube and says they like it is insane.

It appears to be a 61cfm fan

Attachments

• 20220731_111250.jpg
    20220731_111250.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 12.04.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 12.04.56 PM.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
So, I disconnected the fans from the headers before putting more money into this inverter with new fans. Same flickering and I noticed that this one flickers much more with PV input where the last one didn't. Went to HD and picked up 2 of the new Philips Hue Blueooth and Wifi bulbs.. yep flicker when dimmed. I'm throwing my hands up on this one. The inverter design is just not up to par. Sticking a fork in this one. Leaving it up to the manufacturer to come up with a solution. Won't hold my breath though. I would NOT recommend this inverter.

Interesting, that makes at least two different failure modes for flickering. But, are those smart bulbs actually designed to be used with a dimmer?

Yes, they are self dimming so that ruled out all the dimmers I have tried as well. The power output is just noisey and variable. Bad design, these should not be sold like this. 2 inverters, same issues I highly doubt they are both faulty. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...onnected-Wireless-Light-Bulb-555474/310289020

I'm leaning toward disagreeing with you. The bulbs may dim using their own interface, but they may not be compatible with exterior dimmers.

Otherwise, it sounds like your inverter isn't very good.

I'm 100% sure now that the inverter with the shifting frequency is the culprit. If this doesn't happen on grid power then the components are compatible with a normal 60hz frequency. If you induce shifting frequency then it's understandable that strange things will happen.

diy solar

diy solar
Back