diy solar

diy solar

Terminating balance wires

brainwashed

I have a JK-BMS B1A20S15P with very thin balance wires. No idea what gage, but probably AWG18-22, I'm not used to imperial units. I need to connect them to 8mm battery terminals but I could not find such lugs in the hardware shops around the area and online. I'm in the EU.

Do I need something like 0.25-1.5mm M8 lugs or can I use something else? I assume forks would work as well. Any other options? Tinned loops?

A generic 100pc ring terminal kit from Amazon should have everything you’d need.

The small ring terminals (usually red insulation) are typically designed for 18-22ga wire. The wire supplied with JK-BMS is a bit undersized IMHO. If it seems like the stripped wire is too loose in the crimp barrel to get a solid connection. I would double the wire over to fill more space, then you should get a good crimp.

Be careful with the low cost ring terminal kits from Amazon and Ebay. They are made with super thin material and don't crimp completely in a standard tool jaw. Try and get a good name brand ring terminal kit. Unfortunately many of even the good manufacturers like 3M have substituted brass for copper and the really cheap stuff I believe is tin plated, paper thin steel.

Don't be afraid of solder. You probably don't have anywhere to directly solder the wire, other than directly on the busbar, which I haven't tried, but if you have issues with crimp connectors on small wires, tinning the ends before crimping will make for a much more solid connection. Just for small, low-current wires, of course.

I would like to see the battery manufacturers add a screw tab on the battery terminals that could be used to connect BMS wires. The less stuff you have in your high-current connections the better, IMO.

You must have something like digi key in europe with a wide array of ring terminals.

And are you sure they're not m6 posts?

Finally found something, sorry for the late reply, it seems that thread subscription is not automatically activated for the owner. I made a slight mistake and thought the terminals are M8 but instead they were M6.
I bought some M8 terminals that were insulated - would not recommend them, or at least I could not get a nice crimp with any of my tools. I ended up using the cheap crimping pliers with the flat terminal crimping zone. It totally crushed the insulation, but that's not important as the battery is away from anything that moves. The wires have indeed been doubled.
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Back