diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

Nice peace of mind that some dirty porch pirate won't be running off with it.
Meah our house can’t really be seen from the road nor any location they leave packages due to the steep hill.

Since the work from home bonanza only 2 cars drove up the driveway one being an asphalt guy “doing work in the area”.

Thankfully we’re in a safe location.

My wife usually ignores my solar shenanigans but yesterday she took note when I was discussing with son on where to drill hole in wall to bring solar cables in. She asked if there was going to be noise from the equipment, and if there would be cables for her to trip over.

I told her no for both. That there would be some noise in the laundry area but not in the living area. Fan sound of the 48/1200 is low up to around 1000W then it starts to hum/vibrate beyond that. Fan noise on the Delta 2 max is more annoying at low load. The 150/35s are passive so no worries there. If I end up getting a quattro or multiplus may have to put it in the basement if it's noisier.

bogart is kind of hard to argue with. it simply works. i use several of the trimetrics to monitor stuff and its always more accurate than the magnum BMK or the SOC meters int he DALY's...
Got me thinking about the Bogart system. I have a couple of 20+ year old 110 watt panels for dirt cheap. Was going to use a cheapo SCC to power the shed. But since it has the WiFi module I could monitor from the house.

Quattro is not that bad noise wise since it has relatively large fans but you can still hear it. and @Adam De Lay did an extensive video on noise of the Multiplus II which also is not bad even under load. The EG4 18kPV on the other hand is like a jet engine taking off after a certain amount of power going through it.

Quattro is not that bad noise wise since it has relatively large fans but you can still hear it. and @Adam De Lay did an extensive video on noise of the Multiplus II which also is not bad even under load. The EG4 18kPV on the other hand is like a jet engine taking off after a certain amount of power going through it.
Thanks, found it.

I know there was a service bulletin about the fan ramping for some of the multiplus/Quattro that may explain the surging/warbling type sound when the fans were at partial speed.

Which batteries? The ecoworthys on eBay?
After telling everyone to get batteries in their system voltage, I got a pair of the cheap DC house 12 volt LiFePO4 on eBay. About $170 each with tax. If they don't like to run in series I can use them in our RV.

After telling everyone to get batteries in their system voltage, I got a pair of the cheap DC house 12 volt LiFePO4 on eBay. About $170 each. If they don't like to run in series I can use them in our RV.
Hard to resist those prices, at least till manufacturers drop prices on the 24Vs

Maybe I'm the odd one out, and I will admit I never owned one, but I actually like the looks and the functionality of the Aztec.

They're cool 👍🏻

I legitimately think it's just a meme to hate on the Aztec.
I really, really wanted to get a good-condition Aztek last year. My friend gave me so much crap about it, but it was a decent car, reliable engine, and cheap as chips because everyone thought it was too damn ugly. Engineers - form over function! Never found one, so got a 10-yo MDX. 🤷‍♂️

Question for the victron folks- is the multiplus ii considered a high frequency inverter or low frequency?

Last edited:
I am now officially inverter shopping. 🙀
I've been shopping, researching.

After some snark over in the EG4 section, I'll go with Sol Ark or Be a Smurf unless some great new product comes out.

The inverter color just might match the cell colors. I'll have to paint the battery bank cabinet blue instead of white (no, not happening).

Midnight?

(Or my favorite, new old stock SMA)
I'm not certain the Midnite will be a good fit. I think the surge capability will work fine, I don't care for the "stuff" at the bottom.

Slow release too.

I'm looking at a pair of inverters and a pair of 10K Quattros would work very well and actually end up cheaper using some cheap SCC's/AIO's for DC charging or AC coupling which I most likely won't do as this will be off grid.

diy solar

diy solar
Back