diy solar

diy solar

Warning when buying EVE LF280K Grade-A cells with new terminal type!

Order from EU distributor update:
16 cells of the 18 cells from the European distributor of the LF280K cells had bent terminals. They will send new ones to us once they receive the next batch in 4 weeks. 16 of these cells will be cycled by us continously in a test bench prior to our 10.000pcs order.

Order from Amy@Luyuan:
Shipment has been delayed quite some time. However, in 2 days it will be loaded on ship.

Order from EVE update:
EVE has finally managed, at our cost, to build wooden boxes for the poorly designed cartons. However, they deviated from our design proposal that extra walls should be inserted between the cartons, and the pallet legs should be positioned above these walls.

We are now told that we have to accept this design flaw of the wooden boxes, otherwise we'll have to pay $80 for each day the goods are stored in the warehouse until we accept it, as they refuse to fix the misstake by adding a few more legs in-line with the reinforcement walls.

I may seem picky here, but the lid/cover is only 8mm thick, and in the 20 years I have been responsible for LCL/FCL imports from Asia, I have seen too many examples of poorly constructed wooden boxes that sag in the middle and the middle legs deform the cover/lid on box below and damage the goods.

Not sure how we will proceed. I'm very tired of that amateurishness and attitude from EVE.

Attachments

• EVE.jpg
    EVE.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
It's hard to imagine a company of this magnitude wouldn't recognize the problem and mitigate it mediately on their end/dime!

I may seem picky here, but the lid/cover is only 8mm thick, and in the 20 years I have been responsible for LCL/FCL imports from Asia, I have seen too many examples of poorly constructed wooden boxes that sag in the middle and the middle legs deform the cover/lid on box below and damage the goods.

Not sure how we will proceed. I'm very tired of that amateurishness and attitude from EVE.
Can you have them put "DO NOT STACK ANYTHING ON TOP" labels on the top, and require these pallets be single layer only?

That said, I suspect your best bet in the future is to have someone in china build the boxes to your spec, deliver them to EVE for packing, and then have them shipped, or find a middleman who will accept delivery, package them according to your spec, and then ship them.

EVE, and most other $1bn/year+ companies, don't typically customize for small customers. Order a million dollars worth a quarter and maybe they'll consider your requirements, but I'm not really surprised they aren't going any further than this.

Can you have them put "DO NOT STACK ANYTHING ON TOP" labels on the top, and require these pallets be single layer only?

That said, I suspect your best bet in the future is to have someone in china build the boxes to your spec, deliver them to EVE for packing, and then have them shipped, or find a middleman who will accept delivery, package them according to your spec, and then ship them.

EVE, and most other $1bn/year+ companies, don't typically customize for small customers. Order a million dollars worth a quarter and maybe they'll consider your requirements, but I'm not really surprised they aren't going any further than this.

Yeah, we don't norally expect a $bn/year company to build customized wooden boxes for us for a small order. They offered to build this at our expense since we could show proof that the design of thier cartons bend the terminals of the cells during shipping when stacked on eachother.

Maybe they offered to do this because this is a sample order for the next order of 10.000pcs LF280K.

The best solution would be if they improve thier packaging so that this is not repeated. However they are too proud to admit that there is a problem with thier carton design.

I'm kinda upset that one of the biggest LFP manufacturers in China act like a random scam guy on alibaba,

Because China! But apart from the “say anything to avoid owning the problem“ customer service and the deficient packaging, I have to say those terminals look ace! Or would do if they weren’t bent, you know. So much better for making secure connections to than the standard badly tapped wobbly M6 stud..

Because China! But apart from the “say anything to avoid owning the problem“ customer service and the deficient packaging, I have to say those terminals look ace! Or would do if they weren’t bent, you know. So much better for making secure connections to than the standard badly tapped wobbly M6 stud..

The new terminals are really nice as they provide good enough contact to be used both during the prototype stage and in a first version of an industrial application. reduces time to market. We will make a copy of them to laser weld on CATL cells in case the problems with EVE are not solved during the next week.

The only concern I have with the new design, and the most recent Eve specs which further define the benefits of compression, are how to ideally tie the terminals/cell packs while not over stressing the terminals. With the new design (while seemingly a step forward regarding better connection), it complicates the use of flexible busbars.

Obviously Eve seems to suggest using compression in their latest specs, yet the busbars I received with my cells (new twin post design) are flat/rigid and seemingly will not allow for any "give" between cells/terminals if compressed... Yet it's known the cells expand and contract a significant amount depending on their SoC. One would think if the MFG is recommending compression for maximum life, a flexible busbar design would either be spelled out, or provided, but the busbars I received clearly are not optimal in this regard and would likely result in failure if used in a compressed cell packs as the MFG recommends.

I will likely use the suggested compression and custom twin wired busbars per terminal to allow the required "give" at the busbars, but having a solution provided would save me a lot of time and money designing my own solution!

Latest specs here:

If your compression fixture is working right, the batteries shouldn't be moving.
I'm not sure I would agree. Eve seems to spell out a fixed rigid fixture for testing failure (excessive pressures) and a fixture with a more constant rate of compression in normal use (which would have movement) in section 6.

The only concern I have with the new design, and the most recent Eve specs which further define the benefits of compression, are how to ideally tie the terminals/cell packs while not over stressing the terminals. With the new design (while seemingly a step forward regarding better connection), it complicates the use of flexible busbars.

Obviously Eve seems to suggest using compression in their latest specs, yet the busbars I received with my cells (new twin post design) are flat/rigid and seemingly will not allow for any "give" between cells/terminals if compressed... Yet it's known the cells expand and contract a significant amount depending on their SoC. One would think if the MFG is recommending compression for maximum life, a flexible busbar design would either be spelled out, or provided, but the busbars I received clearly are not optimal in this regard and would likely result in failure if used in a compressed cell packs as the MFG recommends.

I will likely use the suggested compression and custom twin wired busbars per terminal to allow the required "give" at the busbars, but having a solution provided would save me a lot of time and money designing my own solution!

Latest specs here:
Whom exactly did you buy the Eve batteries from ? Do you think you bought 'direct' from Eve ?

I've just received four boxes of Eve LF280K batteries from Fogstar in the UK, they have different packaging and none of the terminals are bent, although I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Edit: I've since found out that Fogstar repackage the cells. This is not original Eve packaging.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_172451 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20220819_172451 - Copy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just checked every cell, no damage, and all 16 are at 3.295v, I've no equipment to measure anything else at the moment.

Only thing I have noticed is that the terminals are not welded on straight - see attached.

@Wet1 Flexible busbars - edit: looks like they do ones for the new style terminal - see link below video.

Attachments

• LF280K crooked terminals.jpg
    LF280K crooked terminals.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back