diy solar

diy solar

Who is still building DIY batteries

some really great development efforts on this forum about DIY communication between BMS for DIY battery.

i've chosen JBD MOSFET type BMS for my design, but many visitors here have been reporting nice experience with JK.
I have been following along that thread for over a year now, ordered some parts for the comms for the JK.
{+1 for the JK BMS = it just works!}

I have been watching the Eve 304s.

Has anyone been using the Envision 305s. If so how was your experience?

Did that.

Coffee has not kicked in yet. Were you saying 304 was or is your go to cell?

Did that.

Coffee has not kicked in yet. Were you saying 304 was or is your go to cell?
they were
Envisions grade a are now , as they are cheaper, perform the same or better , i can get them locally ( 30 minute drive) , and are the exact same dimentions , so they fit the seplos mason boxes i use exclusively

I know 18650 is selling these as grade B if I am reading the web site correctly. Where else are others buying these?

I know 18650 is selling these as grade B if I am reading the web site correctly. Where else are others buying these?
bought mine at Nkon ( the netherlands - out of stock now ) , and i know fogstart (UK) has also been selling the grade b's

I'm using BYD semi-blade EV heavy truck cells. They are seconds from production lines. Monitored by Overkill BMSs.

I keep looking at the newer BYD full blades for a smaller system to separate my house/garage which are on a single system right now, but I honestly might grab one of those Hysolis Apollo 5k all in one units Will just reviewed for my new cabin to have something portable that I can throw into my camper and make it dual purpose.

The first diy 100kWh with JK BMS’s $17.5k from Aliblabla. Try over $30k and no repair-ability if you go with SS, with about the same warranty and customer service.
That UL cert costs some bucks!

…and a steel case. I guess. Mine even have a 125A Class T between cell 8 & 9. I get to look at all busbars and cells…definitely not for everyone, especially if you like dropping tools, chains, wires on top of batteries by accident.

I have a container full of random screws and bolts and such, as I'm sure we all do. I was messing with it on a shelf in the garage and I accidentally knocked it over on top of a bunch of my 24vdc lifepo4 batteries on another shelf.. talk about an "aw shoot" moment. Good thing those batteries were just 24vdc or there might have been some good arcing with how some of those big bolts landed. ?

This is one of my fixtures. It contains two 8s batteries which are separated from each other. There is a section of hardiboard between the two batteries. Each cell is insulated from each other. The positive end connects to a custom made pure copper bus bar that then connects the the main positive line which is fused. There is a power switch for each battery. The negative line feeds to the Bms. There is hardiboard underneath each battery.
1694476238104.png

I enclosed mine and covered with a sheet of polycarbonate. Has been a lifesaver and offers a place to set something safely while working
Good idea. I bought a 1, 2”, 4” and 8” roll of high temp polyamide tape. I cover bus bars to prevent tie wrapped balance wires from shorting against them, then cover entire battery. It’s really just to protect from small hand tools and cans of screws.

DIY for me.

I am on my 7th build. I need cells. Where is anyone going these days? I was using Docan a couple years ago for my last build. I read some not so great stuff now.

Who's reputable now? I'd prefer to avoid Ali baba. ?

I also want to build in a steel box this time with included bms or at least space for my own. Where/what are good boxes? Seplos Mason? Are those bms OK? Other?

DIY for me.

I am on my 7th build. I need cells. Where is anyone going these days? I was using Docan a couple years ago for my last build. I read some not so great stuff now.

I also want to build in a steel box this time with included bms or at least space for my own. Where/what are good boxes? Seplos Mason? Are those bms OK? Other?
docan is selling a rebadge ( with us stock) of the Seplos Mason's , if wanted prefilled with their cells....

hear good things about 18650 , as an alternative for the exuberant shipping fees that seplos charges, send you a PM

docan is selling a rebadge ( with us stock) of the Seplos Mason's , if wanted prefilled with their cells....

hear good things about 18650 , as an alternative for the exuberant shipping fees that seplos charges, send you a PM
James at 18650 always sends a nice container of grade A 304 cells. No top balancing needed. My JK BMS takes care of that on two charge/discharge cycles.

DIY for me.

Honestly 18650 is probably your best shot these days.
Competitive prices, US stock, hear good things.

Beats waiting for 2-4 months on slow boat from China with your mystery gift.

At least 18650 is stateside and if any issues happen they would hopefully get resolved faster even if shipping involved.

If I buy cells again it would be from them.

I can't get any reply from 18650 battery at all, anyone got a better contact method than their website or number that they never answer?

I can't get any reply from 18650 battery at all, anyone got a better contact method than their website or number that they never answer?
Once I made my purchases, I received a text and an email. I don't remember if I actually talked to anyone on the phone.

diy solar

diy solar
Back