diy solar

diy solar

Who is still building DIY batteries

I'll always be building DIY banks. It's just far cheaper going that route as long as I can depend on access to a quality supply of cells. With the rack mounts, they're real nice looking but say a bms goes out, even if it's in warranty, you gotta likely do a complicated teardown to replace it where your DIY would likely take a couple minutes & most of us have spares ready to swap out.

My battery pack is 128 LFP 280AH 48 volt system. It is self-balancing and keeps the cells within 10mv. I have 2 Overkill BMS 's and also two 5 amp balance boards. I balance just the top end of the Cells. The balance boards turn on at 54.2 volts to keep the Cells all good. Everything on the System is totally automatic and I do not have to babysit it. The System runs the entire house including a hot tub and 3 refrigerators a pool pump and 4 freezers. It runs the house for 3 days without solar. No electric bill.

Attachments

• 20230308_202910.jpg
    20230308_202910.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 101
That looks like the corner of a Titanium MIG rig peeking out on the right. I've been thinking about picking up one of the 170s for some projects around the ranch instead of my Miller Bobcat stick welder. How to you like it?
It's the 125 flux core wire feed and you can pry it from my cold dead hands...

Where can you source blade cells?

You have to do it on Alibaba. I know it sucks and believe me I wasn't super excited to spend $12k the last time. I ordered mine from Joyce Lee at Keheng New Energy. She was very responsive and clearly I got my order without issues. It was a 45 days I believe from order to arrival. If you check my build thread I believe I posted the time frame and pics of crates.

If you want the newer full blades just search for BYD blades or BYD batteries. They will pop up.

That looks like the corner of a Titanium MIG rig peeking out on the right. I've been thinking about picking up one of the 170s for some projects around the ranch instead of my Miller Bobcat stick welder. How to you like it?

I would get a 15' torch. I have been using a 140A Everlast wire feed outside for 5 years now. With nice flux core wire it is really convenient if a bit messy at times.

Seeing people talk about JK BMS it appears they are all 20-100v.
What would you guys build if doing an RV? Went to the 18650 website yesterday and lots of batteries are 30% off. Does that mean there is a chance the sale batteries have been on the shelf awhile? Or is there always a sale going? Fun to read about the different vendors and plan ahead.

Seeing people talk about JK BMS it appears they are all 20-100v.
What would you guys build if doing an RV? Went to the 18650 website yesterday and lots of batteries are 30% off. Does that mean there is a chance the sale batteries have been on the shelf awhile? Or is there always a sale going? Fun to read about the different vendors and plan ahead.
I went with 16 CALB 302ah batteries and the JK BMS. For the inverter I went with the Samlex EVO 4248. I can have the TV, air conditioning, on and pull the plug and never even know shore power is missing. Next comes Solar.

I started my DIY Powerwall 6 years ago based on 2nd hand 18650 NMC chemistry cells. The current generation of LifePo4 / rack batteries / pricing wasn't so easily available back then.

It's been cost effective and since I do it in the background, a battery (or 2) / year, and enjoy the process - it's easy background work and is OK for my situation.

I'm up to 121kwh and 1,780 cycles as of yesterday on the oldest battery with no detectable degradation.
1694632788595.png
and working on 27kwh more .... :)

Last edited:
So a lot of satisfied buyers from 18650batterystore and sunfunkits.

Prices very close. What have been your experiences?

diy solar

diy solar
Back