diy solar

diy solar

Who is still building DIY batteries

Seeing people talk about JK BMS it appears they are all 20-100v.
What would you guys build if doing an RV? Went to the 18650 website yesterday and lots of batteries are 30% off. Does that mean there is a chance the sale batteries have been on the shelf awhile? Or is there always a sale going? Fun to read about the different vendors and plan ahead.
Nothing stays on the shelf for very long, there.

DIY for me.

I am on my 7th build. I need cells. Where is anyone going these days? I was using Docan a couple years ago for my last build. I read some not so great stuff now.

Who's reputable now? I'd prefer to avoid Ali baba. ?

I also want to build in a steel box this time with included bms or at least space for my own. Where/what are good boxes? Seplos Mason? Are those bms OK? Other?
I'm about to get my next batch of 304's from apexium with a US warehouse so quick delivery if they got 'em in stock. They go fast when they come in. I got my last batch from Docan, best set I've got yet but rarely have any in their US warehouse anymore. A guy on youtube said he's getting good quality out of apexium & they say they'll have some in the warehouse in October, $105 each + shipping.

I started my DIY Powerwall 6 years ago based on 2nd hand 18650 NMC chemistry cells. The current generation of LifePo4 / rack batteries / pricing wasn't so easily available back then.

It's been cost effective and since I do it in the background, a battery (or 2) / year, and enjoy the process - it's easy background work and is OK for my situation.

I'm up to 121kwh and 1,780 cycles as of yesterday on the oldest battery with no detectable degradation.
View attachment 167407
and working on 27kwh more .... :)
:eek: I'd have a seizure walking in that room! That is some serious wow. It's actually stunning you made that happen: Kudos for even attempting it, much less making all that actually work. ! I considered the 280/305 prismatics but this is just insane. Obviously a labor of love, my congrats to you for pulling it off. I assume the various colors represent various purchase lots. Sorry I'll have to take a rack mount instead.

Ok. There are plenty of discussions on UL ratings and cost comparisons of DIY vs prebuilt batteries.

What I want to know is who is still doing DIY and the reasons you chose this approach.

I will go first. At first it was the only thing going. Later it was for the challenge and satisfaction of building something from scratch.

The prebuilt versions are nice and my mouse has wandered towards the purchase button more than once. However for me there is just something about the creative process which has me strongly considering DIY for the next battery. An added advantage is that I can jump from 24 to 48v with a simple reconfiguration and BMS if I want.

At first, I went all DIY because there were no shelf offerings back then, DIY was the only way to get lots of LFP Ah. So I bought all my DIY parts based on 280Ah cells, for 12v and 48v packs, so they could all interchange (better serviceability for reconfiguration or for cell failure), then I added heaters under the aluminum floor-plates. I still don't see heaters on many of the shelf models today.

So now I'm building a 3rd 48v battery (already have three dual-12v, and two 48v setups), and also decided to go DIY again on the 3rd pack, because I want it to match the look of the others, and the same serviceability having existing form-factor. They all have the heaters too. I still buy 280Ah cells this time, just got them delivered today after 1.5 month China shipping...

I like to scale-out and keep all parts across my packs interchangeable. Plus, $2300 for 16s 280Ah is good for me, I already know the dimensions for the cut2size aluminum plates for the clamps, the floor plates (only the length is different on floor-plates between the dual-12v and 48v packs, totally modular design), 3/8" dia threaded rod, the silicone protector hose for the threaded rods, all the stuff I use.

I also like that I can change the BMS brand or model easily (right on top, no covers to remove). I also added the standalone 2a active balancers on all them as well in case I want to turn on higher amperage active balancing, or just have another bluetooth method to login and monitor cell voltages in case a BMS fries or something, or even if I want to compare the accuracy of the voltage readings. I can also easily access all the cell terminals and bus bars without removing shelves, cover lids, so I can manually check cell voltages, test voltage drops, connection points and such. Troubleshooting is a snap...

Last edited:
A friend built a case out of thick polycarbonate, added switches and a gauge and painted the exterior. Looks very nice. If I were to make one would consider ventilation holes just to ensure air circulation although my batteries seem to hold their temperature well.

Plenty of people in the third world still DIYing lead acid batteries ?
I wouldn’t extrapolate from one video on YouTube. i think you’ll find that countries with constant outages especially prolonged ones are up to pace if not ahead in terms of self generation of power and storage side. For many in the 3rd world the grid is the back up. Here in Nigeria, I have never heard of anyone building a LA battery, I see adverts for people offering to buy your old batteries but it’s probably more for recycling. People are abandoning LA in general and everyone is going lithium. In a country of constant outages, people are tired of LA, such is the level of outages, the average Nigerian does not get 2 years out of his new LA (if you are lucky) due to under sizing, prolonged outages and extended dod , so lithium is a no brainer and has been embraced big time. One can question the quality of some of the Lithium batteries that are flooding the market but trust me, fewer and fewer people want anything to do with LA batteries talk less building.

I wouldn’t extrapolate from one video on YouTube. i think you’ll find that countries with constant outages especially prolonged ones are up to pace if not ahead in terms of self generation of power and storage side. For many in the 3rd world the grid is the back up. Here in Nigeria, I have never heard of anyone building a LA battery, I see adverts for people offering to buy your old batteries but it’s probably more for recycling. People are abandoning LA in general and everyone is going lithium. In a country of constant outages, people are tired of LA, such is the level of outages, the average Nigerian does not get 2 years out of his new LA (if you are lucky) due to under sizing, prolonged outages and extended dod , so lithium is a no brainer and has been embraced big time. One can question the quality of some of the Lithium batteries that are flooding the market but trust me, fewer and fewer people want anything to do with LA batteries talk less building.
No no I'm not just talking about one video, there are many people repairing / rebuilding lead acid batteries around the world, a lot of it is in India

Malaysia

Bangladesh

No no I'm not just talking about one video, there are many people repairing / rebuilding lead acid batteries around the world, a lot of it is in India

Malaysia

Bangladesh
Yeah I was going to mention india and lead acid batteries. They have a huge battery manufacturing industry. 15 years ago, I would say 90% of the lead acid battery market here were Indian brands, it’s probably now 60% Indian 30% CHines’s and 10% others. Indian batteries are highly rated here for those still into LA but I would say India is unique because they have a huge domestic LA manufacturing industry. You’ll find more Ladas in Russia because they make them there, despite the fact that probably no one else in the world drives them.

there is a battery type called the “tall tubular lead acid“ that came into our markets from India that is a lot more durable and robust than traditional VRLA and AGM in handling deep DOD, unfortunately while they proved popular, they came just at the time of the advent of lithium. Any internet or YouTube search for “Tubular batteries” will inevitably take you to India. They give off gases, therefore not suitable for indoor use, though out of ignorance many here use them indoors. India is unique when it comes to LA.

There are lots of YouTube videos from the states showing people trying to revive LA batteries using welders, high voltake chargers, desulphurisation, snake oil etc. it’s not an indication of the reality. Yes LA is big in India but I am sure lithium is also big there and India is only 1 country in the 3rd world. Out of interest is India still classified as 3rd world?

Attachments

• 5E0AC56F-A3A0-4252-8C3E-94A64DBC4EE4.jpeg
    5E0AC56F-A3A0-4252-8C3E-94A64DBC4EE4.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4
  • CB9A2879-9995-4DB8-980F-9EACA1A3F0C2.jpeg
    CB9A2879-9995-4DB8-980F-9EACA1A3F0C2.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just replaced a FLA 35ah lawn mower battery, got 5 years out of the old one, brand new one was about $65 after core charge. Can’t say that I’d be willing to crack open the top to try and fix that unit.

I did let the old be freeze, I forgot about it until we’ll into single digit temps.

I went with 16 CALB 302ah batteries and the JK BMS. For the inverter I went with the Samlex EVO 4248. I can have the TV, air conditioning, on and pull the plug and never even know shore power is missing. Next comes Solar.
I was thinking of getting the samlex. Will it boost shore power for high amp starting loads while it also is charging at the same time? The victron 5k will do that for a few hundred more. I am currently using the samlex 1200w-24v EVO and love it. Its just not enough power for 2x loads at same time.

Just wanted to throw this in here. Another possible option for a battery box. I have not purchased it but is looks nice:

Just wanted to throw this in here. Another possible option for a battery box. I have not purchased it but is looks nice:

Nice
And no BMS. Looks like it would be possible to squeeze a JK or Overkill in there.

Last edited:

Sigh... if I had the months in advance notice...

DIY for me.

I am on my 7th build. I need cells. Where is anyone going these days? I was using Docan a couple years ago for my last build. I read some not so great stuff now.

Who's reputable now? I'd prefer to avoid Ali baba. ?

I also want to build in a steel box this time with included bms or at least space for my own. Where/what are good boxes? Seplos Mason? Are those bms OK? Other?
I had built a 8s 280AH and did the whole DIY thing. Saw Ray Builds Cool Stuff on YT showing the Apexium DIY box, and really liked what I saw. I've been building the 16s 280 EVE REPT / Apexium rig and love what I see and my experience with purchasing over email with the REAL Jenny Wu was spectacular, that's who Ray has used consistently and has always been honest. I drove to Houston and picked up this all from their U.S. Stock. No shipping charges! I am blown away as these cells were all closely balanced already with 13@ 3.295v except for 3. They were 3.293, 3.293, and 3.294. Can't beat that! These cells were very clearly brand new, Grade A cells, and not a relabel. Spent entire week charging them to 3.450 and making sure they have rested and saturated well.

By the way, I paid with PayPal on Saturday and picked up on Monday evening. No slow boat from China for your mystery prize! If you are in the market and you want to be sure you are dealing with the proper Jenny Wu (she has many imposters on AliBaba), then I can message you her email address or watch Ray's excellent videos where he explains in wonderful detail, and also verbally shares her email.

I am wondering if anyone on here has tried the new? '100balance' 5A active balancers I see on Amazon now. Curiosity, as I contemplate using one on my old 8s.

***Update: I misspoke above. I assumed the batteries were REPT. They actually are EVE, I didn't ask, but used the QR Scanner app for Android, which is awesome! It's "LifePoQE Battery QE Scanner" in the app store. Batteries were mfg less than a year ago and were verified sparkly new and perfect shape. Capacity tested 3 so far as reported by the ebc-a40l tester from her ($205/picked up), as well: I've got through capacity testing 3 of the 16 280AH Eve cells so far and at only 3.45V charge they have rated: 281.2AH, 283.2AH, 283.0AH, respectively.

Last edited:
So a lot of satisfied buyers from 18650batterystore and sunfunkits.

Prices very close. What have been your experiences?
Never Sunf kits. I would and did buy from the real Jenny Wu by email (not Alibaba 'imposters') 100x. U.S. Warehouse, proper labling, product that lives up to spec, and grade A. Watch Ray Builds Cool Stuff YT about the crap that the SFK vendor pulled on him, lies, threats, and outing his personal info. Evil.

I enclosed mine and covered with a sheet of polycarbonate. Has been a lifesaver and offers a place to set something safely while working
Mine are installed on a boat. The built in, dedicated battery box has a 10mm clear perspex lid. Once the lid is off there is another clear perspex lid over the cells. You have access to BMS and class T fuse with the cells still being protected by the perspex. Belt and braces but safe

diy solar

diy solar
Back