diy solar

diy solar

Wire Size/Type?

rjpear

Question for ya.. I notice that the manual for my Inverter says recommended AC Wire Gauge is 8 AWG. Ok.. So If I look around and I find 8 AWG on Amazon which discusses how good it is for Car Audio ..am, I on the correct product?? Is Car Audio pushing High AMPS? Or is it a different Beast? Thanks

If I'm reading your question right you would want to use NMD or Romex for the AC side of an inverter. If in a mobile enviroment some like the marine equivalent. Car audio cable or breakers are not suggested in any way....

For AC you need triplex wire meant for AC. You do not want audio wire for anything electrical. Get the right wire with the right insulation for the right use.

If this is for mobile or marine then you want a really high quality marine grade wire such as:

If this is in a home then solid core wire would work. It's basically the same wire used for the outlets in your house except 8AWG is much thicker than the 12 or 14AWG in your house wiring.

Thanks for all the clarifying information. Makes more sense now..

Ah, I didn't catch that from the OP. For the AC side I would just use THHN Copper Stranded Wire from Home Depot or similar. It's like $0.50USD a foot.
What guage of THHN is $0.50USD?

12 awg triplex is $1.52USD per foot.
Its tinned copper and double insulated to 105C.
For ac branch circuits in a mobile application that don't require armor this is the bee's knees.

Reactions: Zil
What guage of THHN is $0.50USD?
OP mentioned 8 awg. My bad, $0.84 a foot. I guess copper went up in the last couple of months. Seems like I bought some just recently for $0.50

OP mentioned 8 awg. My bad, $0.84 a foot. I guess copper went up in the last couple of months. Seems like I bought some just recently for $0.50

Is this wire from HD a good option for a long run from PV to Inverter? I've checked the calculator to confirm 8 awg meets the need. Is this equivalent to AWG 8? (It's about $200 cheaper than the same length roll of AWG 8, so far as I can tell.)

8 awg sounds heavy for 120Vac. Inverter make and model? What size is the inverter? What are you powering with the inverter?

8 awg sounds heavy for 120Vac. Inverter make and model? What size is the inverter? What are you powering with the inverter?
Ah, right. Sorry.

• 24 panels (6S2P: each pair of wires supports 199.8 vmp, 19.22 amps, 3840 watts)
  • LV6548 inverter
  • ~150' from PV combiner box to LV6548
  • All off-grid.
  • Powers a yurt used solely for recreation. Currently contains fridge, lights, cell booster, ceiling fan, vacuum, etc. powered by 400w system. (No AC.)
Thanks for the help!

wire from HD a good option for a long run from PV to Inverter?
No.
PV wire is UV stable and has Schwarzenegger sheathing.
8 awg sounds heavy for 120Vac
Not for a big inverter feeding a panel. Might not even be big enough depending on chart/calc method; 8ga is 40A if conservative.

Reactions: Zil
No.
PV wire is UV stable and has Schwarzenegger sheathing.

Not for a big inverter feeding a panel. Might not even be big enough depending on chart/calc method; 8ga is 40A if conservative.
Could you provide a link to "Schwarzenegger sheathing"? I searched for that term without success (but will keep searching).

Each pair will support 19.2 amps, so I could double and still be under 40. Is that the correct way to think about it?

Could you provide a link to "Schwarzenegger sheathing"
Colloquialism. Just meant it’s tough, strong stuff.
pair will support 19.2 amps, so I could double and still be under 40. Is that the correct way to think about it?
Sortof. So basically you have two strings supplying 20A each? 320W panels? The amps seem high but I don’t know anything so…I don’t know everything!

I don’t know what you mean by ‘double.’ Add more panels to double?

Since the OP is asking about wires from PV to inverter I'm assuming they mean from the solar panels to the PV input of an all-in-one. So this will not be 120VAC. It will be some volts DC.

Is this wire from HD a good option for a long run from PV to Inverter? I've checked the calculator to confirm 8 awg meets the need. Is this equivalent to AWG 8? (It's about $200 cheaper than the same length roll of AWG 8, so far as I can tell.)

Yes, that is the same wire on a spool and will work fine assuming it is going in conduit. Not a good choice if you are just burying or laying on the ground. My brain automatically assumes conduit, apologies...

200VDC/20A over 150 feet I think I would probably go 10awg. You are probably looking at a 4% voltage drop.

Bigger wire is always better, except when you are pulling out your credit card...

The wire you linked above is 8awg.
Southwire
(Brand Rating: 4.6/5)

500 ft. 8 Red Stranded CU SIM pull THHN Wire​

• #8 AWG commercial wiring for outlets, switches and other loads
  • 8 Gauge THHN wire contains Copper (CU) Conductors
  • #8 THHN comes stranded with variety of colors and lengths

Since the OP is asking about wires from PV to inverter I'm assuming they mean from the solar panels to the PV input of an all-in-one. So this will not be 120VAC. It will be some volts DC.
The original posted question from OP, rjpear, said AC wire. Not panel wire. but thanks to 12voltsinstall I have been awoke to my slip-up. But you are in wrong question.. Go back to post #1 and read it again.

The original posted question from OP, rjpear, said AC wire. Not panel wire. but thanks to 12voltsinstall I have been awoke to my slip-up. But you are in wrong question.. Go back to post #1 and read it again.
I see the confusion now. In post #17 I thought your post #12 was in reply to post #11 and I mistakenly referred to the new guy in post #11 as the OP. The guy in post #11 really should have started their own thread. That would have avoided a lot of confusion since this thread now contains 2 unrelated discussions.

Back