diy solar

diy solar

Best torque wrench/screw driver

JoshuaD

I saw a video where Will mentioned the torque wrench and torque screw driver, but I can find where he specifies the exact ones he uses -and it’s not listed on his recommended Tools list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joshua

What’s the values you intended to use it for? 4-8nm or 250nm?

Precision Instruments make great mid range torque wrenches. They were the actual manufacturer for multiple tool truck (Snap On) brands. They're reliable and tough. But, if you're just doing cell terminals once, it might be overkill.

I have a calibrated elbow after years of using torque wrenches on aircraft. I never use one now on anything. I just know how it feels. Starting out, use a torque wrench.
I kind of agree, except for the lighter torque values on battery studs, especially on mobile builds.

For lower ranges, I recommend a needle gauge and not click type.

I worked on aircraft with torque wrenches for 6 years. I was happy to leave.

I have a calibrated elbow after years of using torque wrenches on aircraft. I never use one now on anything. I just know how it feels. Starting out, use a torque wrench.
In the “10” in your user name for “10mm”? ?

I saw a video where Will mentioned the torque wrench and torque screw driver, but I can find where he specifies the exact ones he uses -and it’s not listed on his recommended Tools list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joshua

This is the torque wrench I use to torque connections on my solar project. It has worked well. Most components will give a torque spec although sometimes requires going to the manufactures web site to obtain data/spec sheets..

Proto 1/4" trq wrench. Work on motorcycles/engines and guessing is not an option. Worked great for Ironridge 80" lbs panel clamp specs.

If you're torqueing to a low Nm value, with a 'click' wrench you have to just feel the click... see my posting here and the (sad) image above it...

Had to look up nm lol. I’ve only ever referred to it by lb-ft or lb-in. I clearly don’t have much experience with torque wrenches much. So the most I would need is only up to about 25nm, but I’ll need smaller torque for my electrical set up (like for the fuse panels).

Yeah it's getting to be a lost art today, I use the same method. I can even calibrate torque wrenches to my arm-wrench to make sure the torque wrenches are still reading correct...

I used the wrench below for all my Tamarack rails and DC bus bars in phase one of my build. The 2nd round I used my calibrated hand and arm, I just checked my connections with the thermal Imager earlier tonight and everything was great charging at 100 amps.
I was pleased with the build quality of the wrench, easy to feel the click ~5Nm.
LEXIVON Inch Pound Torque Wrench 1/4-Inch Drive | 20~200 in-lb/2.26~22.6 Nm (LX-181) https://a.co/d/7fIzGg3

Edit to add, I use a regular driver for other connections but that Capri will mentioned looks really nice and may be on my list (you can never have to many tools)...

Back