diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest 48v 50ah battery I've found so far. $409.99 free shipping

Not that ive done this by any means but i can imagine use of an end mill to carefully mill through each of the welds if one really wanted to tear this thing down. A lot of effort and.. requires the mill. :p

Honestly, as much as i like the idea of user serviceability in general I kinda feel like, unless there is some kind of guaranteed supply of compatible cells, that the only way you'd be messing with cells is to re-cell the entire thing with a new matched set. I'm more concerned about servicing 'stupid' failures like poor connections causing melting wiring, or a bad bms etc. Those are the kind of failures i perceive (perhaps wrongly?) as more likely, and those are possible just because of the screwed on lid. So i take the bolted lid as being probably 70+% of what i care about in 'serviceability'. Maybe it's an odd opinion.. not sure!
It’s a fair opinion. I just like have a couple of spare cells handy so I’d likely buy a couple of same size and ah cells to be on standby. I fear one bad cell taking out a whole pack

Picked up one of the DC house 50AH units from Amazon.

Internals looked good, same as the previous poster.

Managed to sneak the thermocouple out from under the putty, low temperature cutoff does not work at all. High temp cutoff works fine.

pulled 51AH from the battery with a constant ~420W load.

Managed to sneak the thermocouple out from under the putty, low temperature cutoff does not work at all. High temp cutoff works fine.

Usually there is a lead for high cutoff and a separate lead for low temp cut off.

Usually there is a lead for high cutoff and a separate lead for low temp cut off.
I'll double check but I believe I only saw leads for one thermocouple with no obvious spot to plug in a second one.

While the Amazon posting mentions low temp protection in one part of the description it appears to only have high temp, when you look at eco worthy version spec.

Screenshot_20240202_181423_Gallery.jpg

Does the BMS on these cheap batteries have bluetooth? If not, at least this is easy enough to get into to upgrade.

A high frequency 1000w inverter can start a traditional window AC? Or did you pick up a 3k?

"provides 1000 Watts continuous DC to AC power and 2000 Watts instantaneous power"

If good for a second, that would do it. If not, the 2500 or 3000 model.

An old Statpower 2500W inverter was able to start a 12A air compressor, but not a 12A log splitter. Both Harbor Freight with induction motor.

Last edited:
The Eco Worthy ones on eBay are $368 with coupon through 2/19 and free shipping from Los Angeles which is near me.

Michael

The Eco Worthy ones on eBay are $368 with coupon through 2/19 and free shipping from Los Angeles which is near me.

Michael
Wow thats cheap. I just wish they came in larger capacities instead of multiples of 50ah.

Wow thats cheap. I just wish they came in larger capacities instead of multiples of 50ah.
I think 60 or 80lbs is the point where UPS/FedEx start charging premiums for weight so I can see the logic behind a 50Ah unit. Also easier to haul around by one person.

I think 60 or 80lbs is the point where UPS/FedEx start charging premiums for weight so I can see the logic behind a 50Ah unit. Also easier to haul around by one person.
Thats a good idea. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, the weight, form factor, and smart placement of handles makes it very enticing

So I'd like to see 24V and 12V modules just within weight limit, that can series stack to 48V. BMS connecting to sense/balance wires in each.

Michael
Just purchased 4 of these to start my new battery chemistry, hope they work out.

Guess the coupon is separate, something I don't see.
As I try pull-down menu 50Ah, 100Ah, 200Ah for up to 4 units, the price per unit keeps increasing (smaller discount.)
$2000 for 10kWh.

1708194258562.png

On the right side, below the buy it now button, there a small bit of text that says “From only” and a “show me how” link that gives you the coupon code “PRESIDENT20”

I recently was planning my switch from 12v to 48v, showed my buddy some 48v batteries.
His first comment was am I going to want to deal with 100 lb batteries in 10 yrs?
I like the idea of 50ah size paralleled.
For my first 48v setup, I decided to go 4x12vx100ah djlbermpw. About $700 for batteries.
I may end up putting a cpl of these in parallel.

diy solar

diy solar
Back