diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex and 6000ex flickering lights and firmware

This bonding screw actually grounds the MPPT board in one area. It looks to get rid of noise at the same time. By adding this screw back to in the inverter we have seen F80s clear. The voltage stay stable when high PV voltage is being used, other nuisance problems that randomly accrued
What?? I had two inverters replaced because of F80s, the bonding screw was never mentioned with tech support.
One of my replacement inverters will throw F80 if I use PV1, I switched that string to the other inverter and it has been working so far. So I now have one inverter with only one MPPT functioning. I also have issues with PV sticking at 90v on my inverters. I have 79.71 installed manufacture date 10/22 and 42 enabled. I don't even know if I have a bonding screw installed. I also can't use the EG4 setting for batteries (6 Lifepower4) or the units will randomly shut down multiple time of day and night. I did check continuity between neutral and ground on inverter before installing, it was open. Could a bonding screw fix some of these issues?

This bonding screw actually grounds the MPPT board in one area. It looks to get rid of noise at the same time. By adding this screw back to in the inverter we have seen F80s clear. The voltage stay stable when high PV voltage is being used, other nuisance problems that randomly accrued
I remember light flicker during the day with high wattage PV coming in. Interesting.

We need to be clear if the lights are dimming briefly when a heavy load turns on or if they are continually "nervous".
Also look at the AC output voltage, it should be very consistent and not wondering around.
My SP6548 were always bang on 120v.

We need to be clear if the lights are dimming briefly when a heavy load turns on or if they are continually "nervous".
Also look at the AC output voltage, it should be very consistent and not wondering around.

This is an important point. I tried to describe mine as “strobing” on the first pair of 6500ex’s, because it was basically non stop.

A slight dimming with a heavy inductive loads is fairly typical.

This is an important point. I tried to describe mine as “strobing” on the first pair of 6500ex’s, because it was basically non stop.

A slight dimming with a heavy inductive loads is fairly typical.
My dimmers will randomly turn on and stay on for 5-10 seconds then turn off. It will repeat even after adjusting them fully on and off. This happens with incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs.

My dimmers will randomly turn on and stay on for 5-10 seconds then turn off. It will repeat even after adjusting them fully on and off. This happens with incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs.

And it happens with all the dimmer switches or just certain ones?

Concerning the 6500ex and 6000ex firmware updates. I want to inform our customers that our 6500ex and 6000ex inverter models may not be able to receive firmware updates in the future. However, we want to assure you that our commitment to providing excellent customer support remains unwavering. We will continue to offer dedicated assistance and service to ensure that your inverter operates at its best, and we will explore alternative solutions to address any emerging needs and concerns.
I purchased my 6000ex in June 2023 and find just 4 months later it has been discontinued and won't be supported with any future firmware updates. To say the least, I'm frustrated, especially seeing the multiple posts about problems with these inverters. At the moment mine seems to be working fairly well, although I do see the flickering bulb problem when the batteries are nearly full.

It seems that this device has been problematic since the initial release just a year ago. I hope EG4 will do something to make this right for those of us who purchased these. I'm sure like many here, I can't just buy new inverters all the time.

If my inverters do not have the bonding screw installed from the factory and are having these issues should I be looking to get them replaced?

I purchased my 6000ex in June 2023 and find just 4 months later it has been discontinued and won't be supported with any future firmware updates. To say the least, I'm frustrated, especially seeing the multiple posts about problems with these inverters. At the moment mine seems to be working fairly well, although I do see the flickering bulb problem when the batteries are nearly full.

It seems that this device has been problematic since the initial release just a year ago. I hope EG4 will do something to make this right for those of us who purchased these. I'm sure like many here, I can't just buy new inverters all the time.

I am with you, I just found out they also discontinued the 6500ex. I started with one last spring and ordered a second last week, sales told me they oversold and discontinued the 6500ex and they will let me know if my order was affected. I didn't know I bought into a short term solution. :(

1698868269513.png

I am with you, I just found out they also discontinued the 6500ex. I started with one last spring and ordered a second last week, sales told me they oversold and discontinued the 6500ex and they will let me know if my order was affected. I didn't know I bought into a short term solution. :(

View attachment 175566
Well I guess that answers my earlier question...

My lights flicker with my LF inverters and my HF inverters.. Many makes and models.. Seems to me that it's more tied to the loads connected to the inverter than anything else. For instance my lights don't flicker at all when my freeze dryer is shut off - the moment it's turned on - the flickering is unbearable.
Add 3D printers to the list.

So if the statement that no further firmware updates will be issued for these units is true, can SS offer an official statement as to what that means for warranties going forward? What if a new problem pops up that isn't hardware related?

A statement would be well received concerning what drove the decision also.

The products are not yet mature!

So if the statement that no further firmware updates will be issued for these units is true, can SS offer an official statement as to what that means for warranties going forward? What if a new problem pops up that isn't hardware related?

Items are discontinued all the time, for a number of reason.

SS is a for profit business.

If a product is under performing, has a high level of customer complaints or excess warranty issues. These are just a few reason why I personally would discontinue a product.

Last edited:
For me I only get flickering when on battery power after sundown and its only like once a week an only in my bathroom which has some bulk LEDs from Menards. If I switch to Solar/Grid mode it solves the problem. My major issue is that a few times a night the LED light in my ceiling fan turns off for a second or two. Doesn't seem to be when anything in particular is happening but its annoying enough that I am looking to upgrade.
Add 3D printers to the list.
That's a bit too vague. 3d printers are highly variable. Thought the PSU is probably the least variable part it could be the PSU if its a cheap one, if its a meanwell I'd wonder if its the steppers. Are they in spreadcycle or stealthchop? Is it an AC or DC bed? There are so many things to check on a 3d printer that could be responsible.

The warranty for both models of inverter will remain intact. As far as support on these inverters, they will continue to troubleshoot and process warranty claims for customers that have purchased the 6500ex and 6000ex. This was confirmed to me by their Technical Support/Solutions Manager.

Back