diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 inverter future

The extra overhead from double conversion for a PC is not going to be that bad, have you considered it? 0ms transfer and inverter always on without potential to be naughty in the eyes of POCO.

The extra overhead from double conversion for a PC is not going to be that bad, have you considered it? 0ms transfer and inverter always on without potential to be naughty in the eyes of POCO.
I have considered it. What's a little lost efficiency between friends, right?

Why are y’all using ups? Is this a grid tie thing or?
I just plug my electronics into a surge protector. Have had a couple unexpected outages over the years but my gaming pc never cares.

My UPS is for NAS and RPi4 (since the RPi4 running on a SD card is a shitty SBC that can't even handle powerloss without losing data/risking filesystem trashing).

Granted the RPi4 could be on a DC UPS for less complexity & cost.

Why are y’all using ups? Is this a grid tie thing or?
I just plug my electronics into a surge protector. Have had a couple unexpected outages over the years but my gaming pc never cares.
Grid-tie thing unfortunately. I'm not off-grid and don't have nearly enough solar/batteries to run all my computers off of 24/7.

Usually the PC's don't care about a random shut down, until they do. If/when that ever happens to you, you will understand the desire for a UPS.

Grid-tie thing unfortunately. I'm not off-grid and don't have nearly enough solar/batteries to run all my computers off of 24/7.

Usually the PC's don't care about a random shut down, until they do. If/when that ever happens to you, you will understand the desire for a UPS.
Makes sense. I was assuming it had to do with the switch from grid to solar or back.
I do hope my PCs never boycott like that!

Makes sense. I was ASSuming it had to do with the switch from grid to solar or back.
I mean that can happen too. AIOs despite their UPS mode aren't really engineered to be UPSes.

What would be great is if an inverter company takes a hybrid inverter (need this for 0ms operating option) and makes that engineering happen. And get the UL listing for UPS instead of or in addition to UL1741

Guess I'll just need to get something like this 6000xp, a chargeverter and double conversion it. Something even smaller than the 6000xp would work nice though. A 3000xp with only 120vac.. especially if stackable.

Guess I'll just need to get something like this 6000xp, a chargeverter and double conversion it. Something even smaller than the 6000xp would work nice though. A 3000xp with only 120vac.. especially if stackable.
Just think of it as having the capacity to put more of the house on a UPS ?

I wonder if anyone has tested the efficiency of double conversion over the MPPT input. I recently learned that high power AC to slowly varying 300VDC or so is really common component, as a active power factor correction stage.

I believe most AIO are more efficient when AC starts from the high voltage bus

Another thing about UPS listing is that there’s some building code updates in the works to clarify that UPSes are exempt from UL9540, and some of the proposals require the UPS to be listed as such

One issue with the oversized inverter is that they can come with a bigger minimum size battery requirement… see the thread from that forum member who decided to live dangerously with the XW’s minimum battery size.

48V also doesn’t help with keeping it smol

Another thing about UPS listing is that there’s some building code updates in the works to clarify that UPSes are exempt from UL9540, and some of the proposals require the UPS to be listed as such
That's probably only for prepackaged UPS's that include batteries I would imagine?

Back