diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

Hedges is that your toe sticking out of that hole in the left shoe :ROFLMAO:
I would say it's time for an upgrade ?. :ROFLMAO:

Just proves my point more. The TV is that light and you STILL don't move it often.

Once the batteries are in place, why do they need to move?
Blown Class T fuse or a bad BMS. I assume a battery at this price point it has a built in Class T fuse?
I don't know if this battery has caster wheel like the eVault but if it does then it's not a problem so long as the floor is smooth.

Last edited:
Years ago there was a marketing campaign that used the phrase “set it and forget it “.

Once in place whether on a concrete pad, properly designed wall or other location this unit will deliver a very respectable amount of power in a small space.

There will always be other options for batteries. One of the benefits of healthy competition.

A true benefit to one of these is that one could have an inverter housed in a separate shed with the batteries outside and simply send the AC to the house. An external shut off adds to the safety factor.

Even without solar this could be a formidable UPS in the case of a power outage, especially if tied together.

Perhaps in the future a combination of server rack and this technology would be available. One could purchase an exterior waterproof cabinet and battery modules could be added as budget allows.

Hedges is that your toe sticking out of that hole in the left shoe :ROFLMAO:
I would say it's time for an upgrade ?. :ROFLMAO:
Prob spent all his money on SMA gear. Maybe we could have a collection plate for him to get some new ones :)

"The millionaire next door"

I actually bought that pair while laid off back in '08.

Just last fall, when I was on a reimbursed company trip to San Diego to babysit some equipment in an EMI lab (which I volunteered for because I was pickup up photovoltaic eBay purchases), I had a bit of time so stopped by a shoe store and bought a new pair. Now I use the old ones for yard work.

I wear the new ones when driving my vintage Ferrari, which is worth more than my house.

1691936472228.png

1691936493088.png

I've got my server rack batteries, admittedly only 3 of them so far, in a full size server rack that will be able to store up to 10. It has wheels on it so it can move around, and nicely encloses everything. it's 7 feet tall so it's just small enough to get through my garage door but really maximizes space.

I think the EG4 rack isn't making use of the potential benefits of a server rack. It's not all that tall, and you have to mod it to put casters on it or double stack it.

Where neither it or the new 280Ah battery is really optimizing is storage within a certain footprint. How well can you stack the new batteries? Seems like a chore.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd still go for server rack for expandability and maneuverability.
View attachment 162390
EG4’s issue with their server batteries is that they aren’t using any of the advantages that come with the server form factor. It’s basically just stackable batteries that fit in a commonly sized box which takes up a fair amount of floor space.

What they should have done is build in blind mate connectors in the back for ac, dc, and data busses so that batteries, charge controllers, and inverters can all plug into the same rack with no wiring required.

I think that an outdoor climate controlled cabinet for rack mount batteries would sell like hotcakes.
Only if it was impossibly cheap. I dare anyone to get a quote for this thing:

What they should have done is build in blind mate connectors in the back for ac, dc, and data busses so that batteries, charge controllers, and inverters can all plug into the same rack with no wiring required.
That's an expensive amount of precision. Might as well just buy a homegrid product.

Only if it was impossibly cheap. I dare anyone to get a quote for this thing:

Definitely
Cost would be a big factor.
Not for me, my batteries are my room mates. They live in the house with me. We are all equally comfortable and happy.

EG4’s issue with their server batteries is that they aren’t using any of the advantages that come with the server form factor. It’s basically just stackable batteries that fit in a commonly sized box which takes up a fair amount of floor space.

I agree with hwy17, that would make for a much more expensive product. The advantage they ARE making use of with the server rack platform is that it's stupid cheap. It's all low precision, off the shelf products shoved into a cheap box. Maybe someday they'll dive into that market, and it's something I think many would in fact be interested in, but there will always be a market for the cheapest package available.

If you don't like weight, I suggest all HF inverters, and make sure they're compatible with the same voltage. I needed to boost 208Y to 480Y.

I can barely flop one of these toroids by hand. Tried to lift all three with 1 1/4" pipe extension on engine hoist, all I got was a curved pipe.

The other transformers I've got are 250 to 350 lbs.
Transformer type inverters, 145 lbs (except little 2.5kW ones). The transformerless are about 75 lbs, Except 30kW TriPower is 121 lbs.

You're complaining about 300 lb. batteries? My 8x 405 Ah 6V AGM totals 1000 lbs.
I was able to move them through the yard with a dolly. At 120 lbs each and low to the ground, pretty manageable.

I think my big box weighs around 300 lbs, with cells, hard to say what the total is. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/the-big-blue-box.55099/

Install was done by hand, one cell at a time. :)

Back