diy solar

diy solar

Is BIG BATTERY full of Crap??

Going to say that pretty sure that he means cutoff charging .... we operate ours down to -30C - we just don't charge them until they get above 0C ...
That's cool. I have all my equipment out in an uninsulated power shed at our hunting cabin. Been up a few times when it's been down to 0F (not sure what that equates to in Celsius?).

How well do the batteries heat themselves while discharging?

That's cool. I have all my equipment out in an uninsulated power shed at our hunting cabin. Been up a few times when it's been down to 0F (not sure what that equates to in Celsius?).

-17.77778 Celcius. ? :cool:

Reactions: JAS

Not much, but it depends on the discharge rate. I think to generate much heat at 0° F the discharge rate would have to be high. I wouldn't count on warming the batteries at that temperature from discharge alone. I'm basing that on my experience with my DIY LiFePO4 batteries.

Reactions: JAS
Probably just as well. You wouldn't want that self-heating on a hot day.

If you were to epoxy a power resistor onto each busbar and daisy chain them, you would have a heater you could power from DC or AC, with good thermal path to interior of battery. Do the wiring intrinsically safe - silicone tube around a small gauge wire which serves as its own fuse. Control it with a thermostat and a signal "I'd like to charge now", such as PV voltage.

1605743724120.png

(1.6 ohm, 10 watt, one per busbar might be about right for DC heater)

The spec sheet for the battery claims the low temperature cutoff is -4 F. Which Will proved didn't work.
The one I received stopped charging when I put the temperature sensor in dry ice, but it still allowed discharge. I posted here about it:

The more I look at that Doc (the Thunder Sky one), the less confident I am in it.
  • my understanding is that Thunder Sky ceased operation 15 years ago
  • [particular claims ... to which you say:] I can't believe that this could be acceptable,
Those two bullet points are compatible with each other. Just saying.

We've seen some BMS that divert power to a heater. Whatever is done, needs to be a system solution (communication or settings), unless BMS can keep system up and running somehow.
I think it's obvious heaters need to be designed into these things along with the BMS and cells. It would do as you say: divert charging current to a pad, not charging the battery until it is to spec temp (let's say over 35ºF), and then ramp it up properly according to the spec sheet and state of charge. Heck, that's what Tesla car packs do already.

We can learn a lot from this Forum (Thanks to Will Prowse) and everyone else who posts our products here. Thank You All! : )
I will forward this suggestion if you really want to cover the bases and make a great / outstanding product. As a Northerner (deep north Canada) and having lived in every extreme from Deep Hot Desert to the Arctic circle I have a slightly different perspective. I've lived & worked in places that can hit -50C (actual, not windchill) and up to the high +40C temps.

Consider the BMS' you are using ! What they Can & Can't do and why they should do the things needed by most folks.
Have a SERIOUS LOOK at these two models, then explore the rest of this companies offerings and realize there are more advanced devices out there than what your people / engineers or what have you, have had experience with. Also, appreciate the complexity increases significantly as the number of packs within a battery bank increases and the need for equipment interfacing comes into play. This is where "drop-in" fall down as they are not really intended for ESS level systems unless they are designed to interact with each other & the equipment they are driving.

BesTech Power Co.,Ltd Battery Management System (BMS) with Communication protocol for 4~16 cells in series
Part number: HS-019:
2020420185143899.jpg

DIRECT LINK to above: http://bestechpower.com/communicationbms/HS-019.html

Then 100A-1000A + more goodness Part number: HS-015 NOTE COOLING/ HEATING drivers.
202042035046814.jpg

Direct Link to above: http://bestechpower.com/communicationbms/HS-015.html

Also heads up notice, from the tradies rumour mill, the USA is about to get an LFP Recycling facility within the next two years. Specializing in LFP, up to and including breakdown, recovery of materials and regenerating it into new cells. Likely a company to get "hooked up with" one the public announcements are made (expect anytime now).

The one I received stopped charging when I put the temperature sensor in dry ice, but it still allowed discharge. I posted here about it:

That is correct behavior. Lithium batteries can handle discharging below zero, it is charging that is the problem.

That is correct behavior. Lithium batteries can handle discharging below zero, it is charging that is the problem.
Yes.

What's a good way to control the exact temperature applied to the sensor from my dry ice? I don't want to put the dry ice's full (lack of) temperature on the probe, just incremental amounts either way. I don't quite know how to do that. I would need my own sensor to know what the other sensor is saying. But how would I group the two sensors to read the same amount? Tape them together? Where can I get such a sensor?

Edit update: apparently getting cryogenic temperature sensors requires specing them out. But then the cheapest way at those temps is to make them yourself out of wire, maybe; currently watching this:

Edit update 2: oh, there's lots more involved. Sigh. https://www.brighthubengineering.co...hat-is-a-thermocouple-how-thermocouple-works/ I might not do this myself right off depending how much of this I can scare up out of my shack.

Last edited:
Yes.

What's a good way to control the exact temperature applied to the sensor from my dry ice? I don't want to put the dry ice's full (lack of) temperature on the probe, just incremental amounts either way. I don't quite know how to do that. I would need my own sensor to know what the other sensor is saying. But how would I group the two sensors to read the same amount? Tape them together? Where can I get such a sensor?
(thermal) resistor divider. Ice mixed with water is zero C, dry ice is whatever CO2 evaporates at. Two layers of material separating them would divide the temperature between them (assuming its thermal conductivity doesn't vary drastically with temperature.)

My Fluke 325 multimeter has a temperature probe that came with it. I used it this week to watch the temperature when I put my warming pad sensor in an ice pack.

FilterGuy,

Are you cutting the plug off of the heating pad?

Welcome to the New Year.
After all the great discussion on this tread, I did purchase the BigBattery 24V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block
The box did not come with any documentation at all. I have made numerous requests via live chat and emails to BigBattery (including @MrGreen ) with only one response saying that they have no digital version they can email.
So I am looking for the configuration parameters for my charge controller (using GroWatt 24v 3000W unit). These numbers should be applicable to any other charge controllers I would think. In addition the voltages would help with the Solar Battery Monitor as seen in this video
I am using @Will Prowse published settings for these all-in-one units, but it still calls for specifics for the battery being used.
My requests/questions are:
  1. What is the low voltage disconnect of the BMS?
  2. What is the over voltage set at?
  3. What is the Floating Charge Voltage?
  4. What is the Bulk Charge Voltage?
  5. For a Battery Monitor Voltmeter, what is 100% SOC volts and 0% volts?

Referenced Links
BigBattery 24V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block
GroWatt 24v 3000W unit
AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter

Welcome to the New Year.
After all the great discussion on this tread, I did purchase the BigBattery 24V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block
The box did not come with any documentation at all. I have made numerous requests via live chat and emails to BigBattery (including @MrGreen ) with only one response saying that they have no digital version they can email.
So I am looking for the configuration parameters for my charge controller (using GroWatt 24v 3000W unit). These numbers should be applicable to any other charge controllers I would think. In addition the voltages would help with the Solar Battery Monitor as seen in this video
I am using @Will Prowse published settings for these all-in-one units, but it still calls for specifics for the battery being used.
My requests/questions are:

Referenced Links
BigBattery 24V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block
GroWatt 24v 3000W unit
AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter

Attachments

• E57A22B5-7758-41DB-B7AB-4F2CBA65A360.jpeg
    E57A22B5-7758-41DB-B7AB-4F2CBA65A360.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 61
Thanks, but that really does not give me the information that I was asking for.

The box did not come with any documentation at all. I have made numerous requests via live chat and emails to BigBattery (including @MrGreen ) with only one response saying that they have no digital version they can email
That seems ridiculous. In this day and age, I can understand companies not including full physical paper documentation, but for them not to provide--and beyond that to claim they don't even have a digital version, seems ridiculous.. Are they writing users typewriters? a printing press? How is it possible to not have a digital version available? Maybe it is a simple misunderstanding, I can't really judge.

Below are educated guesses / inferences based on the specs in the image posted above by @laseradam
Possibly 2.125V (8.5V / 4 = 2.125V) -- [see: "working voltage range"]

1. What is the over voltage set at?
Possibly 3.750V (15V / 4 = 3.750V) -- [see: "working voltage range"]

What is the Floating Charge Voltage?
This is not a BMS parameter, generally speaking the most common recommendation seems to be 3.400V (13.6V)

What is the Bulk Charge Voltage?
Not a BMS parameter, but it looks like BigBattery recommends 14.6V -- [see: "charge voltage"]

For a Battery Monitor Voltmeter, what is 100% SOC volts and 0% volts?
Not sure. Your battery monitor documentation would be the place to start. Is this a voltage based monitor or a shunt or hall sensor based monitor capable of counting coulombs?

This general resource on selecting and understanding system voltages may help with some of your questions:

diy solar

diy solar
Back