diy solar

diy solar

Is this a bad joke? Signature Solar creating specs requirements to avoid defective inverter costs?

I'm not open to pay for return shipping on a defective product.

Please keep in mind that i already paid exactly $320 to have this package shipped to me.
I wouldn't be either.

IF their past is any indicator of their future behavior, they will have you send the unit back. It will work just fine in their shop and you will be what is commonly called double screwed.

And what would happen once I install the PV panels?

My understanding is that the inverter needs to be setup under SBU mode to fully work with the PV + Generator.
PV should still charge the batteries in utility mode. And once the battery SOC gets to the set point, the generator will be shut off. Which will cause the inverter to switch to battery mode.

I'm referring to the fact that an inverter will wait for a while to find out if the PV input is going to come back before it switches to grid input.
If grid disappears, yes they all switch to battery mode in short order (4-20ms)
It should be switching according to battery SOC.

I used to enjoy putting this phrase in letters. “The mere passage of time will prejudice your position.”

No reason to wait to file a credit card dispute.

Sorry you are in this position.

Is Richard still around? I’ve forgotten his new sig tag.

I'm not open to pay for return shipping on a defective product.

Please keep in mind that i already paid exactly $320 to have this package shipped to me.

The requirements for a credit card dispute are probably that the product was not as advertised, and you have tried in good faith to resolve issue with seller.

No one has even brought up the "restocking" fee that is charged if the product functions at vendor's site ("double screwed" is only good in certain contexts.)

If refund is issued by CC, I expect SS will supply shipping label.

I remember we talked at the beginning of my journey and I checked into SMA, it is just out of my budget.

Sometimes I see a listing < $3000, but $3400 (shipping included) is the lowest today:

If only one Sunny Island, you need a transformer to get 120/240V split-phase output.
Pass-through and charging would only use half the wattage of your generator, and 120V.

For use with PV panels, you also need either DC coupled SCC or AC coupled GT PV inverter.
Either way, probably some support hardware like battery shunt for DC coupled, advisable to have a load-shed relay for AC coupled.

That older model is not UL-1741-SA needed for newer grid-support functionality. But fine for off grid type applications.

And of course a battery. Lead-acid is natively supported. For lithium, best to have a BMS with compatible communications.

I put off adding Sunny Island battery inverter for many years, until bargains showed up. What's out there today is still discounted, but not as fantastic a bargain.

This has just been a very disappointing experience, considering that I specifically chose the vendor based on their sales and technical support claims. Yes, the fact that they have members actively participating in these forums also led me to believe that they would stand behind their products. My experience has been quite the opposite, with them actually grasping anything out of thin air to avoid responsibility with their product.

I have recently purchased from them the following equipment:

- Growatt 8kw DVM-MPV
- 48V 100AH EG4
- Battery Cables
- AC Disconnect

The equipment above was purchased after a long back and forth conversations with their sales team, clarifying questions and compatibility with my existing condition (off grid with a 14kW LPG Kohler generator and 240V split phase panel). This being my very first DIY energy system, I can assure everyone that I tried to cover all angles and asked many questions during those calls:

- Will it work with my 240V split phase?
- Will it be able to turn on the generator automatically?
- How long would it take to charge the battery with the generator?
- Would I need any other equipment for this to fully work?
- Will I be able to simply add more energy storage as I please?

And the list of questions goes on, but at no point during any of the sales calls Signature Solar mentioned or raised questions regarding the compatibility of my $5,000 14kW Kohler generator with their inverter. To be quite honest, their attitude was quite the opposite: this is the package you need, everything will work, we are here to support it.

Well, this hasn't been the case. After installing the system I was only able to operate it in UTI mode, where if I turn the generator (manually) the power switches from battery to generator power and when generator is turned off, power goes back to battery source.

When trying to operate in the correct mode (SBU) the unit simply does not transfer between battery source to generator source. Additionally, the dry contact for the AGS does not click appropriately once the battery hits the SOC setpoints.

After a few unsuccessful calls with Signature Solar tier 1 technician, they bounce me to a tier 2 technician who basically is stating that my generator is not compatible with their unit and it is my fault to have purchased their inverter. They even went to say that their inverters are NOT compatible or meant to be used with generators, which was a shock considering they mentioned off-grid solutions, their inverters have a AGS contact and the inverter user manual explicitly mentions generator application.

But guess what is nowhere to be found anywhere in their website or inverter manuals? The "new generator requirements" they have recently created in order to avoid dealing with their defective products.

They are basically saying the inverter is not defective and the problem with my setup is due to the following:

1. My generator being only "14kW" instead of the allegedly required 16kW.

Shouldn't matter. As long as it provides clean power of the correct voltage.

2. My generator only guaranteeing "up to 5% THD" when their inverter allegedly only works with 3% THD.

Have you checked THD?

What does the GW show for input voltage when you start the generator?

I had asked them to point me to where these requirements live but they were not able to produce anything concrete.

To be continued.

I think that the simple solution would be a SOC monitor with a set of contacts to start the generator.
Set the inverter to utility, and it should work perfectly.
Maybe, maybe not.

If the GW doesn't like the AC input, it may not switch.

FWIW, here is a YouTube video they did a year ago about using gennies with their systems.

In the video they recommend using a dedicated charger to charge the battery bank directly from the generator. They also identify various limits such as not exceeding 60% (smaller gennies 50%) of the generator's max spec'd value to keep the THD down and other system design/utilization considerations.

HTH

Last edited:
This has just been a very disappointing experience, considering that I specifically chose the vendor based on their sales and technical support claims. Yes, the fact that they have members actively participating in these forums also led me to believe that they would stand behind their products. My experience has been quite the opposite, with them actually grasping anything out of thin air to avoid responsibility with their product.

I have recently purchased from them the following equipment:

- Growatt 8kw DVM-MPV
- 48V 100AH EG4
- Battery Cables
- AC Disconnect

The equipment above was purchased after a long back and forth conversations with their sales team, clarifying questions and compatibility with my existing condition (off grid with a 14kW LPG Kohler generator and 240V split phase panel). This being my very first DIY energy system, I can assure everyone that I tried to cover all angles and asked many questions during those calls:

- Will it work with my 240V split phase?
- Will it be able to turn on the generator automatically?
- How long would it take to charge the battery with the generator?
- Would I need any other equipment for this to fully work?
- Will I be able to simply add more energy storage as I please?

And the list of questions goes on, but at no point during any of the sales calls Signature Solar mentioned or raised questions regarding the compatibility of my $5,000 14kW Kohler generator with their inverter. To be quite honest, their attitude was quite the opposite: this is the package you need, everything will work, we are here to support it.

Well, this hasn't been the case. After installing the system I was only able to operate it in UTI mode, where if I turn the generator (manually) the power switches from battery to generator power and when generator is turned off, power goes back to battery source.

When trying to operate in the correct mode (SBU) the unit simply does not transfer between battery source to generator source. Additionally, the dry contact for the AGS does not click appropriately once the battery hits the SOC setpoints.

After a few unsuccessful calls with Signature Solar tier 1 technician, they bounce me to a tier 2 technician who basically is stating that my generator is not compatible with their unit and it is my fault to have purchased their inverter. They even went to say that their inverters are NOT compatible or meant to be used with generators, which was a shock considering they mentioned off-grid solutions, their inverters have a AGS contact and the inverter user manual explicitly mentions generator application.

But guess what is nowhere to be found anywhere in their website or inverter manuals? The "new generator requirements" they have recently created in order to avoid dealing with their defective products.

They are basically saying the inverter is not defective and the problem with my setup is due to the following:

1. My generator being only "14kW" instead of the allegedly required 16kW.
2. My generator only guaranteeing "up to 5% THD" when their inverter allegedly only works with 3% THD.

I had asked them to point me to where these requirements live but they were not able to produce anything concrete.

To be continued.
Seen from here, european country, where habits could be different, i can see 2 possibilities ...
- A seller sell you devices with advices on what to do, advices are kind of "free"
- The "all in one" package where he design a solution which will fit your needs ... this second one can cost far more then the first one depending on how many factors there is. Design is not "Free".

If you are in the first case .. i would say... it's your responsability to check documentations and draw your own conclusions on what will work with what, then buy devices and build your system.
If you are in the second case and the inverter should have worked .. then yes you have the right to be angry.

If you lead a company with the belief that your company is in existence to sell parts to people and make profit, you are setup to fail.

It's always better to offer solutions for your customer's situation. Do this and they will be happy customers for life. That means the RIGHT PARTS THAT WORK!
It may sometimes mean leading a customer away from buying something from you as a whole.

Shame those who work in this industry and have turned it into a race to get a sale -- a race to the bottom on price, quality, and inevitably the customer service. Please start focusing on taking care of the customer first and the sale will come second!

I tried to look up THD spec for utility grid but haven't found it.
Here is a link that talks about utility power and THD limits set by IEEE. Transmission voltages below 69kv are limited to 3%THD, voltages between 69kv and 161kv are limited to 1.5% THD and above 161kv are limited to 1% THD. You will find this industry-wide.
II. Harmonic Limits
According to IEEE 519, harmonic voltage
distortion on power systems 69 kV and below is
limited to 5.0% total harmonic distortion (THD)
with each individual harmonic limited to 3%. The
current harmonic limits vary based on the short
circuit strength of the system they are being
injected into. Essentially, the more the system is
able to handle harmonic currents, the more the
customer is allowed to inject....

Back