diy solar

diy solar

Received first set of cells.

You just help me decide about the size of battery bank. Ordered another set. I fell like a retired school teacher buying the fastest corvette produced this year knowing I will never need that much power at one time.
  • US$1,100.00

Sub-Total : US$1,100.00
Seafreight (Cells Only) (Shipping to US): US$307.68
Payment Fee (4.4%): US$61.94

Grand Total : US$1,469.62
I'm really really tempted to order those as well.

Why the different cells?
The price allows me to have a pack to try all the new ideas that seem to flow here like water, and with the 4 spare cells if I damage a couple learning. I have 4 or 5 12 volt inverters that I was given just had to replace fuses and the caps. My normal power usage is not very high.1704162395834.png

Last edited:
I top balanced my first battery but when it came time to build my second I figured I was smarter than conventional wisdom and didn't top-balance. That's when I discovered how annoying runners can be.
Yep my first three packs (16s) I top balanced and they worked great. I added a forth pack at the start of winter last year and due to temps could not properly top balance them. Instead I wired them into a large 12 volt pack threw a BMS and charged them to cut off and then slapped them into a 4p16s pack and paid for it for that entire winter. With runners right and left. End result was I had to break the packs apart during late summer and re-top balance all of them, only to find the last 16 were hot garbage. Now running at 3p16s while awaiting my new Winston’s.

DC Filter
A DC filter is used to create a smooth voltage from irregular or pulsating voltage sources. High peak currents and ripple currents are dissipated by capacitors storing and releasing charge in a controlled fashion.
I know I am new to this but not to high power electronics. Dc thumping can damage batteries and with 16 cells in series it could reach deep into the pack.. I will be adding the following cap packs to to protect my builds. A lot are building to get the max amp hours protecting the pack can require more than fuses.1704224577908.png

You just help me decide about the size of battery bank. Ordered another set. I fell like a retired school teacher buying the fastest corvette produced this year knowing I will never need that much power at one time.

Sub-Total : US$1,100.00
Seafreight (Cells Only) (Shipping to US): US$307.68
Payment Fee (4.4%): US$61.94

Grand Total : US$1,469.62
Fine Print DETAIL : THESE ARE NEW OLD STOCK ! Production data on site shows manufactured from Feb 2022 to Jan-Feb 2023.
At BEST they should be considered Bulk B-Grade. Top Charging & Balancing in Parallel without ANY doubt will be needed and THEN voltage & IR testing with a YR1035+ tester.

Most likely the least trouble-free & efficient BMS for these would be the JKBMS 200A with 2A Active Balancing. 1 200A Fuse per battery pack.

I figured that I was getting a low grade set of cells at that price the reason I got 4 spare cells. Thank you for the info will post the box opening onward.
even if they are a year old from storage they should be fine. they will not be matched and batched per se, but a 2 amp or a 5 amp active balancer can take care of that if needed. i would charge them all up, capacity test, and test them at full charge and at empty for IR and then match them according as best you can. after that its active balancer time.

How are the forum members comfortable with so many youtube salesman for advice. I keep getting this Off-Grid Garage with 13 and 23 minute clip to earn the max ad money but his over two years has become worthless. A guy name ray builds cool stuff at least is not a washing machine. This is sad people can burn down homes pushing batteries so hard from a salesman's advice.

How are the forum members comfortable with so many youtube salesman for advice. I keep getting this Off-Grid Garage with 13 and 23 minute clip to earn the max ad money but his over two years has become worthless. A guy name ray builds cool stuff at least is not a washing machine. This is sad people can burn down homes pushing batteries so hard from a salesman's advice.
I'm afraid to say this, and NOT a slight towards you in any way at all. But far too often people come here After The Fact and with all sorts of things. Buying some flogged "Full Home Solar Kit" to buying cells and all sorts of parts , recommended by some slick rep, or from watching half baked YT "Expert Genuis" videos and believing it cause they saw it on YT... Will Prowse who founded this great Forum is a YT GUY and HE KNOWS HIS SHIT... learned some the hard painful/expensice ways & showed it too ! Boy, a couple of eye openers there I'll tell ya !

The first thing we tell new people contemplating anything is to STOP ! Do not BUY ANYTHING ! Research, ask questions (no dumb questions other than the one not asked), Learn & Understand and have a PLAN, then stick to it.

Then we refer folks to Known Good Vendors with solid reputation and will also share those that of "okay" mediocre and outright bad.

As for accidents, disasters & major mistakes & screws ups... we've seen plenty of those too over the years... Some are pretty shocking... ;-) pun intended. Ever see a BMS become a Fragmentation grenade when it vapourizes ? That's what happens when you hook B- to - on pack & P- to + of pack.... Instant Fragger !

These cells I bought in 2004 are retiring this year due to the cost of the new cells. I could still use them they never saw below 50% or over 90% charge and because of size they always been outdoors.

1704422324891.pngTh

Prices are coming down fast same EVE 280 set I bought in November from Docan China for $85 are now selling from their US warehouse for $72 each. If I only waited another month wonder where they will bottom out.

There is a massive over production capacity problem in China ATM. Factories are slowing production and even laying off staff. Lithium Carbonate Glut has pushed the pieces to the lowest they've ever been. There are also a few shifts happening within the sector and the end result is prices will continue to drop. BUT there are now rumblings of more Dutied & Levies being applied to imported Chinese products which may end up countering the lower prices.

OF COURSE THERE IS A GOTCHA...
There are presently a lot of full warehouses and companies are clearing New Old Stock out first. There is nothing wrong with that as everything is stored @ storage voltage & capacity. Therefore no degredation possible, these will be less costly BUT will absolutely require Top Charging & Top Balancing prior to being assembled into a working pack.

Cells that have been discharged below mid-point and/or stored for an extended period must be Top Charged to 3.650 to fully reactivate the electrolytes. It is also Very Prudent to retest for the IR at each 0.100 point from 2.900 to 3.500 and note that for each cell.
Suggest using a simple YR1035+ Battery Cell tester (avail on Ali*, Amazon & Ebay etc.

My cells (CATL 300+Ah) i bought from EEL (Howard) was very bloated. Seems like its a hit or miss buying from EEL.
I recently bought more cells, this time from Jenny Wu (EVE LF304), zero bloating, top notch physical condition (haven't tested them yet).

To all who states that top balance is necessary, please give more information to why that is.
How much of a deal is it really? And under what conditions is it crucial to do it, when you are charging discharging 1C or if you have 4 packs and uses only 0.1-0.2C?

I must have got very lucky with my 16 cells even the terminal blocks are welded and placement are perfect. I hope my next 20 are as good.1705185011216.png

Prices are coming down fast same EVE 280 set I bought in November from Docan China for $85 are now selling from their US warehouse for $72 each. If I only waited another month wonder where they will bottom out.

Not seeing anything close to that. Already gone?

Not seeing anything close to that. Already gone?
I was looking on Alibaba docan power store showed US warehouse prices . You have to purchase through that site even if you get it shipped from the US warehouse. You probably have to contact one of their sales people to get an accurate price.

Back