diy solar

diy solar

RESOLVED: EG4 6500EX and 6000EX Lights Flickering FIRMWARE

79.63 / 61.12

I plan on updating to 79.66 soon
I have one bonding screw in the master inverter and do not intend to remove it. I will have to use the mobile firmware. The N-G bond is about 125 feet from the inverters and panels in the house.

Just checked email and found the technical support at SS does not have any idea about what a SDS system is.

Sigh..........

Just checked email and found the technical support at SS does not have any idea about what a SDS system is.

Sigh..........
They sell hardware. I don't expect SS to follow NEC requirements or even know that the NEC exist.

Edit: I don't recall reading anywhere on their site that they sell location specific code complaint hardware.

They sell hardware. I don't expect SS to follow NEC requirements or even know that the NEC exist.

Edit: I don't recall reading anywhere on their site that they sell location specific code complaint hardware.
I didn't mention anything about NEC or codes for that matter.

They should be aware not all sites (non mobile) will have bonding that enables a pass thru neutral.

I didn't mention anything about NEC or codes for that matter.

They should be aware not all sites (non mobile) will have bonding that enables a pass thru neutral.
SDS typically comes up when someone read the NEC. I assumed you were referring to that.

I also have the pulsing lights, the updated firmware seemed better for a day or two but its back. I also have my whole system shut down for a few seconds only when solar is charging, it has happened 11 times in a month... I can no longer wait for a fix, I waited 6 weeks for these replacement inverters and my patience is about up. My electronic equipment is going to fail if I keep having my power turned off every couple of days. Has anyone had issues with the the EG4 6000 units? I need to find a reliable inverter that works with my EG4 battery bank since I am off grid.
My 6000ex flickers lights also but only durning the day

My 6000ex flickers lights also but only durning the day
I don't care what kind of loads I am running on battery or grid pass through, the only time I get flicker is when there is PV input coming in. At night, no matter what kind of load, no flicker.

Loose connections? Bad crimps or corrosion on MC4s? Are you using a combiner box? Your panels grounded to their own rod or to the house?

If I had flicker with PV, I'd isolate every string and test them one at a time as well as validate each panel was operating properly. Maybe you have a failing panel and the issue is a bypass diode?

A lot of people with bad installs … or… maybe it is simply just the inverter.

I don't care what kind of loads I am running on battery or grid pass through, the only time I get flicker is when there is PV input coming in. At night, no matter what kind of load, no flicker.
My panels are not grounded.....dont know if this is reason.

Usually have flicker in mine in the evening, very rare I have flicker with PV. The oven sets it off, get a little disco fever with a pizza in the oven.

This weekend I will remove remaining bonding screw and install latest firmware. Can't wait. The mobile firmware didn't prevent flicker.

If firmware doesn't fix it, I will be on support and ride them hard until the solution is found. SS needs to correct this problem. I actually think it is getting worse as time goes on.

Usually have flicker in mine in the evening, very rare I have flicker with PV. The oven sets it off, get a little disco fever with a pizza in the oven.

This weekend I will remove remaining bonding screw and install latest firmware. Can't wait. The mobile firmware didn't prevent flicker.

If firmware doesn't fix it, I will be on support and ride them hard until the solution is found. SS needs to correct this problem. I actually think it is getting worse as time goes on.
In the morning or evening, when PV is not too strong, no flicker. At night, no flicker. Grid pass through at night, no flicker. Strong PV coming in, lots and lots of flicker. I figure I will just have to live with it. Since I am out working most of the day, I can live with it. But it is embarrassing when friends want to see your system and the flicker mocks your intelligence.

In the morning or evening, when PV is not too strong, no flicker. At night, no flicker. Grid pass through at night, no flicker. Strong PV coming in, lots and lots of flicker. I figure I will just have to live with it. Since I am out working most of the day, I can live with it. But it is embarrassing when friends want to see your system and the flicker mocks your intelligence.
What is your PV array?

What is your PV array?
24 Canadian SOlar Bifacial, 8 in series to each inverter......up to 500 watts each on perfect day, 4K to each inverter.....but the most I have ever seen is 3.5k to each inverter. Must be home to use the juice to create the juice. This summer with mini splits, I will see what can be produced.
What is your PV array?
Here are 12 next to my Y2K 12 volt system that still works.....

Attachments

• Y2K system.jpg
    Y2K system.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 11
8 in series to each inverter......up to 500 watts each on perfect day

8 in series? are you close to hitting the 500v limit of the MPPT?

what is the Voc of your panels?

does your output voltage of your inverters jump around at all when you get the flickering lights?

8 in series? are you close to hitting the 500v limit of the MPPT?

what is the Voc of your panels?

does your output voltage of your inverters jump around at all when you get the flickering lights?
Not close to the limit......even at 50 VOC....yes, the voltage varies from 126, 120 125. 126 etc. not huge swings, just constant small variations.....just enough to cause horrible flicker.

24 Canadian SOlar Bifacial, 8 in series to each inverter......

You have to list the model or give the specs. You can source the CS bifacial in many different wattages.

up to 500 watts each on perfect day, 4K to each inverter.....but the most I have ever seen is 3.5k to each inverter. Must be home to use the juice to create the juice
I run 2 strings of 8S JA Solar 530W and max out each MPPT often at 4Kw. So I don't believe the PV input is your issue unless your VOC is too high which is possible with bifacial panels or you have a wiring problem on the PV.

This summer with mini splits, I will see what can be produced.

It does not matter if you are home or running a mini split if the battery is discharged to low SOC. I have the 2 MPPT's set for 100A charging. I've never seen both put over 140A combined into the bank with the base loads running as the max per MPPT is 4Kw.
Here are 12 next to my Y2K 12 volt system that still works.....

The latest two firmware updates (79.63, 79.66) have actually caused more issues than fixes.
  1. Light flicker/strobing/flashing is now much worse. Before, I would only notice if I dimmed my lights using the wall switch dimmer. Now, the disco strobing comes and goes at will. I do think it's one inverter since my upstairs lights remain steady and the downstairs rooms that have the issue run off the opposite inverter.
  2. I also now have the issue with inverter 2P1 randomly flashing "2P1" with no error.
  3. The inverters also periodically now reboot themselves; load level doesn't matter.
  4. When I checked the system the other morning with my cup of coffee in hand, the batteries were run down to 0% and all batteries were shutoff. The inverters were set to change back to pass-through mode when batteries hit 10%. No idea why this happened, other than FW issues.
  5. Today, 2P2 wouldn't go above 105 watts for charging the batteries when in USB mode. Normally, the PV input would max out on each inverter to charge the batteries since utility is being bypassed powering the loads. I reboot the inverter, no change. I then remembered SS support telling me "Sometimes the FW must be run more than once for all the settings to take place". HAHA, I told myself, I have worked in IT for over 22 years and never did rerunning the same FW update fix anything. But I ran it again, and guess what, fixed the PV battery charging issue.
To tell you the truth, these inverters are super buggy, and we are the beta testers. The only issue I had with the original firmware on the early 2022 inverters was error 61 (now fixed). As of today, I have settings that seem to change themselves, random reboots, random light strobing, and random flashing 2P1. From reading this forum, guess I am part of the "club of problems".

One interesting item I should mention as it pertains to the strobing lights. If I add some load to the circuit by turning on an oven cooktop burner the strobing stops. Turn the oven burner off, the strobing comes back.

Last edited:
Back