diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Quality and Warranty Woes

cirvaazny

I purchased a pair of 6000EX-48HV inverters, a EG4 battery rack, and stack of panels, mounts and installation equipment from Signature Solar at the end of last year after reading the reviews and some of the feedback posted on YouTube and this forum. I have had the system installed and running relatively trouble free for several months now with a few exceptions.

- Parallel operation on the inverters did not work correctly if the battery was charging off the AC mains.
- I had opened a service request early on because on of the inverter units had what sounded like broken fans and a really terrible hum/buzz that was not present in the other unit.

For my first service request, I was told I should look inside the units to see if something was stuck in the fans. I had to open the cover on the unit to check, and the fan issue was fixed after I found that there were wires stuck in the fans. This did not solve the buzzing/humming or the parallel issue with the inverter. I did not get a follow up on support for this. After waiting for a few days, I just ended up breaking the group and keeping this inverter as a backup in case I needed to take the other inverter offline.

Fast forward a few months. I hear loud popping coming from one of the inverters and all the loads in my home drop that were connected to the inverter output. There is a strong burning electronics smell and a light haze in the room the inverter is in. This inverter is in a climate controlled room, 22-24c ambient temps and 30% or less humidity.

I do an emergency shutdown of the inverter, and check for any obvious signs of fire damage or overheating. There is nothing externally visible on the conduit or any of the connection points outside or in the connection panel on the inverter. I call Signature Solar hoping to get an RMA as it is a pretty good guess that with the events that I observed, something is not working correctly with the inverter, and the sense of what appears to be something burning probably means it is not a good idea for me to just try to just hope it was a fluke and let it do its thing.

I end up getting sent to a tech who wants to troubleshoot before they will even consider sending a replacement. This is reasonable I guess, except the tech wants me to power the unit up and take voltage measurements. I comply, but end up powering it back off when the unit starts to repeatedly pop while I am probing it and the room starts to smell like something is burning. I give the tech the measurements I was able to get and the continuity test he requested but tell him I am not comfortable powering the appliance back up because it seems like it could be hazardous to do so.

It has been about two weeks so far, and the back and forth has been the tech trying to get me to power the unit back up, and telling me that I just need to add ground screws, which I found out are missing from some locations in the unit after troubleshooting that with the tech. The tech assures me putting in grounding screws will fix the problem, but I will have to go source them locally and install them into the unit. He also asks that I check if any other grounding screws are missing, and that he will send me a picture of ever part of the unit that should have a screw in place. I never get the picture, but I did go to a local Fastenal to get the screws that they did not have available to ship to me. I pull the cover off the unit and start to work on installing the screws we found were missing and checking the rest of the boards to make sure every hole is filled. When doing this inspection, I find one of the PCBs is scortched and the layers are peeling. I take a picture and send it to the tech to let him know.

At this point, there is apparent damage to the inverter, and parts are supposedly missing that were supposed to be installed at the factory. I let the tech know that I really would just like to RMA at this point, I do not want to have to try to fix this myself.

The last response I received is that I voided the warranty when I opened the inverter without Signature Solar's permission, and that it was possibly my fault that the ground screws were missing.

At this point, I'm jaded on this whole support process. I just wanted to share my experience, and notice that it matches some of the other complaints that you can find on the forums here. I do not really think I am in the wrong on this to ask them to just send me a fixed unit. I do not think I should have to research why parts inside are missing or try to go through a ton of hoops when something has failed in this way.

Attachments

• signal-2023-09-20-182916_003.jpeg
    signal-2023-09-20-182916_003.jpeg
    913.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20230925_125555.png
    Screenshot_20230925_125555.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 80
At this point, I'm jaded on this whole support process. I just wanted to share my experience, and notice that it matches some of the other complaints that you can find on the forums here. I do not really think I am in the wrong on this to ask them to just send me a fixed unit. I do not think I should have to research why parts inside are missing or try to go through a ton of hoops when something has failed in this way.
Good afternoon!

I would like to help out in any way possible! If you could, send me your email address that you used when corresponding with the technician so that I can take a look at the ticket and email history. I'd like to double check our technicians work and see if maybe there is something that I can do here at the office to get you up and running again and also coach the techs on how to handle these situations.

You are really bored arent you
On the contrary -- with any other company this would be a simple over the phone repair or a RMA -- BUT I am going to bet -- that although this sequel starts off slow -- it will end in a huge gunfight ... NOW don't get me wrong -- I am 100% with you on that he voided the warranty by taking off the front panel and probing around -- thats TOTALLY on him -- and maybe in fact while he was probing he somehow unscrewed 4 of the 5 bonding screws without remembering he did that -- BUT what will make this interesting is how SS will get 4 different owners/techs to all jump in and give him 12 different things to do and then #300 of us will jump in and say things that have nothing to do with anything -- and then at the end you guys will say that He voided the Warranty and for $XXX he can ship it back himself and get it repaired (which again - technically - is probably the right thing at this stage) -- and then he will get upset and contact his CC company and dispute it -- and then the movie credit begin to roll ...

What kills you guys -- is NOT having a single POC to handle these sorts of issues .... one person that will take ownership of the problem from beginning to end - and not pass it off to others over and over ...

if you call Midnite Solar - you have one guy that handles your issues -- beginning to end -- he may pass you to different techs -- BUT he remains your POC and he is the one that will stick with you during the RMA or the repair process ... same with Renogy ... and even EPSOLAR ... but with SS (and i do believe that all of you there are trying to do the best for this guy) but you guys will wind up giving him contradictory instructions and then blaming him for something (of course - again - he DID void the warranty) .... BUT THATS WHAT YOU GUYS ARE KNOWN FOR - excellent products but poor customer service ... or at least this is my own personal opinion ...

What was changed from the original LVX6048 to the EG4 6000EX? Does this all go back to the issues with components being changed at the assembly plant.....

I really feel bad for the end customers and the good guys, like Markus, that are trying to help make things better. I can only imagine the amount of people out there that aren't bringing there issues to light on the forum.

This seems to be the same thing over and over and over again.....

t has been about two weeks so far, and the back and forth has been the tech trying to get me to power the unit back up, and telling me that I just need to add ground screws, which I found out are missing from some locations in the unit after troubleshooting that with the tech. The tech assures me putting in grounding screws will fix the problem, but I will have to go source them locally and install them into the unit. He also asks that I check if any other grounding screws are missing, and that he will send me a picture of ever part of the unit that should have a screw in place. I never get the picture, but I did go to a local Fastenal to get the screws that they did not have available to ship to me.
Seems to me SS tech asked for the cover to be opened...no?

I purchased a pair of 6000EX-48HV inverters, a EG4 battery rack, and stack of panels, mounts and installation equipment from Signature Solar at the end of last year after reading the reviews and some of the feedback posted on YouTube and this forum. I have had the system installed and running relatively trouble free for several months now with a few exceptions.

- Parallel operation on the inverters did not work correctly if the battery was charging off the AC mains.
- I had opened a service request early on because on of the inverter units had what sounded like broken fans and a really terrible hum/buzz that was not present in the other unit.

For my first service request, I was told I should look inside the units to see if something was stuck in the fans. I had to open the cover on the unit to check, and the fan issue was fixed after I found that there were wires stuck in the fans. This did not solve the buzzing/humming or the parallel issue with the inverter. I did not get a follow up on support for this. After waiting for a few days, I just ended up breaking the group and keeping this inverter as a backup in case I needed to take the other inverter offline.

Fast forward a few months. I hear loud popping coming from one of the inverters and all the loads in my home drop that were connected to the inverter output. There is a strong burning electronics smell and a light haze in the room the inverter is in. This inverter is in a climate controlled room, 22-24c ambient temps and 30% or less humidity.

I do an emergency shutdown of the inverter, and check for any obvious signs of fire damage or overheating. There is nothing externally visible on the conduit or any of the connection points outside or in the connection panel on the inverter. I call Signature Solar hoping to get an RMA as it is a pretty good guess that with the events that I observed, something is not working correctly with the inverter, and the sense of what appears to be something burning probably means it is not a good idea for me to just try to just hope it was a fluke and let it do its thing.

I end up getting sent to a tech who wants to troubleshoot before they will even consider sending a replacement. This is reasonable I guess, except the tech wants me to power the unit up and take voltage measurements. I comply, but end up powering it back off when the unit starts to repeatedly pop while I am probing it and the room starts to smell like something is burning. I give the tech the measurements I was able to get and the continuity test he requested but tell him I am not comfortable powering the appliance back up because it seems like it could be hazardous to do so.

It has been about two weeks so far, and the back and forth has been the tech trying to get me to power the unit back up, and telling me that I just need to add ground screws, which I found out are missing from some locations in the unit after troubleshooting that with the tech. The tech assures me putting in grounding screws will fix the problem, but I will have to go source them locally and install them into the unit. He also asks that I check if any other grounding screws are missing, and that he will send me a picture of ever part of the unit that should have a screw in place. I never get the picture, but I did go to a local Fastenal to get the screws that they did not have available to ship to me. I pull the cover off the unit and start to work on installing the screws we found were missing and checking the rest of the boards to make sure every hole is filled. When doing this inspection, I find one of the PCBs is scortched and the layers are peeling. I take a picture and send it to the tech to let him know.

At this point, there is apparent damage to the inverter, and parts are supposedly missing that were supposed to be installed at the factory. I let the tech know that I really would just like to RMA at this point, I do not want to have to try to fix this myself.

The last response I received is that I voided the warranty when I opened the inverter without Signature Solar's permission, and that it was possibly my fault that the ground screws were missing.

Ive seen a video linked on here where that screw wasn't tight when the customer was installing the unit and luckily they caught it before putting it into use.

I wish I could remember where I saw that. So its not some unknown problem.

Hello Cirvaazny,
Jarrett brought this to my attention and I really am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us. There are definitely a few things that should have been handled differently and in a more timely manner. We will be getting with the technicians and make sure that they are properly trained in handling situations like this. I understand your frustration and I will be working with Jarrett to make sure you get a resolution along with getting with the techs to hopefully not have situations like this happen in the future. I also sent you a PM.

On the contrary -- with any other company this would be a simple over the phone repair or a RMA -- BUT I am going to bet -- that although this sequel starts off slow -- it will end in a huge gunfight ... NOW don't get me wrong -- I am 100% with you on that he voided the warranty by taking off the front panel and probing around -- thats TOTALLY on him -- and maybe in fact while he was probing he somehow unscrewed 4 of the 5 bonding screws without remembering he did that -- BUT what will make this interesting is how SS will get 4 different owners/techs to all jump in and give him 12 different things to do and then #300 of us will jump in and say things that have nothing to do with anything -- and then at the end you guys will say that He voided the Warranty and for $XXX he can ship it back himself and get it repaired (which again - technically - is probably the right thing at this stage) -- and then he will get upset and contact his CC company and dispute it -- and then the movie credit begin to roll ...

What kills you guys -- is NOT having a single POC to handle these sorts of issues .... one person that will take ownership of the problem from beginning to end - and not pass it off to others over and over ...

if you call Midnite Solar - you have one guy that handles your issues -- beginning to end -- he may pass you to different techs -- BUT he remains your POC and he is the one that will stick with you during the RMA or the repair process ... same with Renogy ... and even EPSOLAR ... but with SS (and i do believe that all of you there are trying to do the best for this guy) but you guys will wind up giving him contradictory instructions and then blaming him for something (of course - again - he DID void the warranty) .... BUT THATS WHAT YOU GUYS ARE KNOWN FOR - excellent products but poor customer service ... or at least this is my own personal opinion ...
Well one thing that I find completely RIDICULOUS is having a customer repair electrical equipment.

That's is by definition what the damn warranty is for. SS might want to look into on site repair/tech guys because what is going to happen is some unlucky buyer is going to stick a screw driver somewhere they shouldn't, after being asked by a tech to "work" on the product.

They don't make liability insurance that goes that high.....

Also, I'm pretty sure "warranty void if opened" is an illegal position to take and can't be enforced.

It really says something about the company when they can't take "there's popping and smoke" as enough of a reason to issue an RMA.
Sure, you need to verify voltage inputs, but damn, trying to burn their place down, just to get out of a warranty.

Really sucks that the only way to get warranty from Signature Solar is to post here. Hopefully, more people will start spreading the news and catch on that their warranty isn't worth the internet it's printed on.

Travis, Brent and now Colt are working on the my two 6500ex’s. Edit: Signature Solar provided great customer service, tech support and we arrived at a fair resolution. I highly recommend them now and what a stress relief! Thank you!

Last edited:
Also, I'm pretty sure "warranty void if opened" is an illegal position to take and can't be enforced.

It really says something about the company when they can't take "there's popping and smoke" as enough of a reason to issue an RMA.
Sure, you need to verify voltage inputs, but damn, trying to burn their place down, just to get out of a warranty.

Really sucks that the only way to get warranty from Signature Solar is to post here. Hopefully, more people will start spreading the news and catch on that their warranty isn't worth the internet it's printed on.

Prob need to step it up, take a video of the charred smoke cloud lingering in the toom and live popping. Put it on Twitter/X and YouTube. Then maybe you'll get some action.

SS is the allieexpress of solar..they just want to sell the product, collect the money and be done with it instead of building a full service respectable company. Look at current connect...much newer company with less employees it appears and they have a stellar reputation because they seem to care about the customer and take responsibility without having to be chased down in the public square.

Travis, Brent and now Colt are working on the my two 6500ex’s.
Is that regarding the pulsing/flickering you described here?

Back