diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar refuses to honor a warranty for a defective product! (And Solar Assistant Discussion)

Wasn't targeting him at all. I realize he reviews a lot of products and seems to have much better support from the vendors than you or I might expect. Wonder why that might be? :whistle:

I didn't get the impression that you were. (y)

Yeah, it's a real puzzle, that one, why he might see their happier side when he deals with them.

We do hear from happy SignatureSolar customers sometimes. It's not as though they don't do nice things on occasion. It's just their reactions on here to product questions and concerns are often confrontational, which doesn't make for a good impression.

Yes, but they are selling products through other outlets...Solar Sovereign for one.
I don't see how that would really create much in the way of improvement on EG4 warranty issues / product concerns. Ultimately it would still be the EG4 team deciding what happens with the product. You might get slightly nicer upfront sales / support though.. and a more sympathetic ear before EG4 denies the warranty claim made by the 3rd party reseller.

It just boggles my mind. A huge part of a product is how the company deals with the customer.
From everything I read on this forum, they've earned their less than stellar reputation via years of this same exact service level.

Is there any evidence so far that voicing it publicly makes them honor it?
I know you got a hard time for this question, but evidence here says the answer is "yes"

How damn hard is it to send out an company email to all employees that says "Solar Assistant doesn't void warranty. You can state we don't support it but quit telling customers it voids the warranty! Failure to follow this new policy will result in you being fired."

I think that might solve the problem pretty easy if they want to.

How damn hard is it to send out an company email to all employees that says "Solar Assistant doesn't void warranty. You can state we don't support it but quit telling customers it voids the warranty! Failure to follow this new policy will result in you being fired."

I think that might solve the problem pretty easy if they want to.
If they are already short staffed or having trouble finding people, that might be hard to do. I know I'm putting up with some employees I would rather not have around.

If they are already short staffed or having trouble finding people, that might be hard to do. I know I'm putting up with some employees I would rather not have around.
You can't replace people you don't get rid of. It's doubtful it's the employees though, more than likely, they are echoing talking points from above.

When I was researching why my Solar Assistant wasn't communicating properly, I was told the same thing that I should use Watch Power and not a third party solution as it will void the warranty. We all didn't talk to the same guy. This was a talking point at one time that seems like they are backing up from now.

Yup. I’ve run 3-4 FTE short all year. Finally hired my last open position. Which means surely a good one will move out of town in a few months again. Have to make do with a few but hopefully they grow.
I think in todays society finding enough skilled, competent, and reliable workers is hard and not getting easier which is why it seems it would be better if they ironed out bugs prior to releasing new products

It appears you are getting an RMA. You are lucky. I can't even get a response/acknowledgement of correspondance from them now.

I started this thread on Sept 6th. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...500vdc-100a-mppt100-48hv-sets-code-f01.68669/ Received an email on the 13th saying they closed my case even though I sent them the requested photos and video on the 12th. The email claimed I hadn't responded in 7 days but I had responded in less than 7 days. They wanted a video of the code setting and it doesn't always set everyday so I waited to see if I could catch it.

Have sent another email to the tech handling my case, no response. Clicked on the link in the email that links to the support page for my case, it shows closed and allows you to send a message thru it. Sent that thru today, no response or acknowledgement from anyone at Signature Solar.

I will be working on the Youtube review for this product and will include a review of the customer support at Signature Solar. It is quite possible they are ghosting me as they don't have any units in stock for a RMA, nor do they have any idea why this code sets intermittently.

The company is starting to become a joke on how it is run. I've never in 37 years of operating my business seen a company so unfocused on providing positive customer support. I was even told it could be installer error but when I responded I've had one of these running since July 4th and the second one ran for over 2 weeks before it started setting an intermittent bus start failure code, how could it be possible to be installer error? It's a charge controller, PV positive goes to the positive marked terminal and negative to the negative terminal. The battery connections are the same, positive and negative. There isn't anything else except a ground wire to the case.

I thought I'd give them a second chance after the 6500EX inverter problems and support did come thru and refunded my money but this latest episode is a huge failure on their part.

It appears you are getting an RMA. You are lucky. I can't even get a response/acknowledgement of correspondance from them now.

I started this thread on Sept 6th. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...500vdc-100a-mppt100-48hv-sets-code-f01.68669/ Received an email on the 13th saying they closed my case even though I sent them the requested photos and video on the 12th. The email claimed I hadn't responded in 7 days but I had responded in less than 7 days. They wanted a video of the code setting and it doesn't always set everyday so I waited to see if I could catch it.

Have sent another email to the tech handling my case, no response. Clicked on the link in the email that links to the support page for my case, it shows closed and allows you to send a message thru it. Sent that thru today, no response or acknowledgement from anyone at Signature Solar.

I will be working on the Youtube review for this product and will include a review of the customer support at Signature Solar. It is quite possible they are ghosting me as they don't have any units in stock for a RMA, nor do they have any idea why this code sets intermittently.

The company is starting to become a joke on how it is run. I've never in 37 years of operating my business seen a company so unfocused on providing positive customer support. I was even told it could be installer error but when I responded I've had one of these running since July 4th and the second one ran for over 2 weeks before it started setting an intermittent bus start failure code, how could it be possible to be installer error? It's a charge controller, PV positive goes to the positive marked terminal and negative to the negative terminal. The battery connections are the same, positive and negative. There isn't anything else except a ground wire to the case.

I thought I'd give them a second chance after the 6500EX inverter problems and support did come thru and refunded my money but this latest episode is a huge failure on their part.
Clearly you don't play EA games ?. But in l seriousness the lack of wanting to help is rampant in companies that focus on profits first. I have a strong suspicion that techs are encouraged to deny warranty claims or are reprimanded for having too many rmas. Just my thought.

My suggestion is become a pest, that's what I had to do. You know what they say, squeaky wheel gets the grease. As you saw in my email chain I had to constantly follow up with them and I spent a few days calling in and waiting on the phone to get a tech. It sucks you have to do that but it's my money and I bought it because of a warranty. I could have piecemealed my own system together for cheaper but I chose to pay the premium for the support.

So I buy an EG4 3000 ... So hot that the thermaformed plastic around the USB dongle is getting soft hot. I immediately disconnect, I grab an ethernet cable, hack off the end and strip back the wires, plug it in and grab my trusty multimeter. Now RS232 should only see up to 15v DC positive or negative and the only DC voltage I see is 13.5v, we're all good. For the sake of being through I swap over to AC and I find AC voltage flowing through it, not only that I see 60v AC on an RS232 port!!!!!

Kind of hard to blame an accessory previously plugged in for inverter outputting 60Vrms.
Is that what you say it is doing? Without anything else plugged into the port that comes from a wall outlet?

Considering that some inverters put about 60Vrms on their PV connections, this seems too much to be coincidence.

Did you measure 60V between two pins of the port? Between one pin and chassis?

If the inverter drives common mode 60 Vrms on an RS232 or USB port, I wouldn't be surprised if it fried itself when something grounded was connected.

Back