diy solar

diy solar

Spam Attacks

Huge thank you to the Moderators and Will for getting these cleaned up so quickly. I have yet to see them (maybe I'm not on here enough ?).
So who's the black hat on the forum that could give them a taste of there own medicine ?

Yes we have that. We have multiple spam management programs setup in xenforo.
Why not just block the IP ranges? I understand they can use proxies and VPN's, and that its a bit of a wack-a-mole game, but the more IP's you block who allow this stuff, the harder it is for them.

Start by blocking the entire range of Chinese IP's..

We have users from China that contribute. Blocking IP ranges on an international site is counterproductive. Never mind that most of these bots spamming the site don't even originate from a certain country anyway. The last bots banned for example came from Montréal, California, and Germany among others.

So who's the black hat on the forum that could give them a taste of there own medicine

White hat here - no need to retaliate. Those botnets get taken down, new ones pop up, etc. It's just life.

Why not just block the IP ranges? I understand they can use proxies and VPN's, and that its a bit of a wack-a-mole game, but the more IP's you block who allow this stuff, the harder it is for them.

Trust me, I have blocked thousands of IPs and hundreds of ranges for years, and that’s only going to work for a very short period of time because they’re going to switch to another IP and another range and they’re just gonna keep coming.

If the built-in filters were working we wouldn't have this issue. All of the proper settings are enabled. And we have an extension that was supposed to help with this but it's not working. Still experimenting.

Trust me, I have blocked thousands of IPs and hundreds of ranges for years, and that’s only going to work for a very short period of time because they’re going to switch to another IP and another range and they’re just gonna keep coming.
Yeah, I went down that road many years ago and it's a losing battle. You'll never overcome it and you end up unintentionally blocking something valid. At some point you have to start using one or more services like Will is already using and a combination of tactics to fight it. I'm so glad I semi-retired and don't have to deal with that crap anymore! :LOL:

Yeah, I went down that road many years ago and it's a losing battle. You'll never overcome it and you end up unintentionally blocking something valid. At some point you have to start using one or more services like Will is already using and a combination of tactics to fight it. I'm so glad I semi-retired and don't have to deal with that crap anymore! :LOL:
Still a battle I have to fight weekly...

Back