diy solar

diy solar

SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Looks great! As far as batteries SOK seems to be pretty solid and user serviceable if needed down the road.
Outside of them I think it’s just a crapshoot of overseas vendors or building your own. (I know there’s similar to SOK, but aren’t cheaper so what’s the point, I’d buy either the Sungold vertical or server style too but I don’t think they are user serviceable)
Like stated above, the 2 battery idea is based on each one having a 100a BMS and the potential for the inverter to draw more than one battery can provide.

Without a battery, it just runs in bypass mode, meaning it doesn't use any solar power, or am I missing something?
It appears that as long as Utilities priority is set to default in settings the machine will feed the demand load with PV input from panels and any shortage of watts will come from the utilities. What I do find annoying in the programming is you cant set a parameter which would null all additional battery parameters so that the machine would 'understand' their is no battery attached. The machine sounds an alarm the battery is missing and it also still tries to pump amps into the batt because the voltage threshold of 0 is lower than the battery charged threshold. Their is no battery load tho...so it's not costing a tremendous amount of performance, but it is loading components that it wouldnt otherwise load had the machine understood to run batteryless. You can just tell the programming is not thought all the way through.... guess i can't complain though.. i don't possess the knowledge to fix the software either..

Everything working correctly tho, machine is quiet and attractive looking. Today is the first day I am letting it run while I am not home. I have my camera pointed on it though, lol.

Not to butt in on the thread, but any of you Sungold users.. any problems with flickering led bulbs, dimmers, UPS systems like have been seen with Eg4 6500ex's?

I'm looking seriously at possibly going the Sungold or Sol-Ark direction...

do be cautious on which model you get, regardless of who’s name is on it.
Sungold also white labels 3 or more different manufacturers. Sometimes that can be as significant as buying the “same” item from a different vendor

Without a battery, it just runs in bypass mode, meaning it doesn't use any solar power, or am I missing something?
With a hybrid unit it uses the sun to power everything if it can even without a battery. The grid only comes into play when there isn't enough solar to cover the load.

Not to butt in on the thread, but any of you Sungold users.. any problems with flickering led bulbs, dimmers, UPS systems like have been seen with Eg4 6500ex's?

My tp6048 doens't cause flickering no matter what I have thrown at it. I do see the lights in the bedroom dim when the window ac in that room comes on but its just for a second and none of the other lights in the house dim so its not the inverters fault just load in that room.

That said 42ohm has had flickering lights when his washing machine ran. I tried testing that and it didn't happen to me but I fully believe him when he says his did.

I havent dropped a large inductive load on it while everything was on yet. I do have 40+ 'ballastless' puck LED lights in my house which use a small cap to reduce voltage, they are very sensitive to dirty power. I was worried I'd see poor output from these when I loaded the inverter but the consistency of the lighting is perfect. I was shocked/thankful when I had everything in the house on (Minus well/pump /pool pump/ dryer) and my sensitive recessed overhead lighting was outputting perfectly.

I noticed when I was running solar only, no utilities, no batteries, when I had a cloud come over, my POE switch and a few other heavier devices shut down, but the lights and fans all stayed on consistent, it did very well at handling the throughput and amp fall off.

I am pretty impressed so far with this unit. I haven't thrown everything at her yet tho.

My tp6048 doens't cause flickering no matter what I have thrown at it. I do see the lights in the bedroom dim when the window ac in that room comes on but its just for a second and none of the other lights in the house dim so its not the inverters fault just load in that room.

That said 42ohm has had flickering lights when his washing machine ran. I tried testing that and it didn't happen to me but I fully believe him when he says his did.
Yes, it was only when the washer would agitate, from what I read / understand it was due to the drive type of the washer quickly flipping back and forth between forward and reverse. It's beyond my level of understanding why my SRNE doesn't do it, I suppose SRNE has better components and/or logic than Voltronic but don't know for certain. My TP6048 is still hanging on the wall waiting for me to decide if I'm going to sell it, repurpose it or let it hang for a backup.

Yes, it was only when the washer would agitate, from what I read / understand it was due to the drive type of the washer quickly flipping back and forth between forward and reverse. It's beyond my level of understanding why my SRNE doesn't do it, I suppose SRNE has better components and/or logic than Voltronic but don't know for certain. My TP6048 is still hanging on the wall waiting for me to decide if I'm going to sell it, repurpose it or let it hang for a backup.
I'd keep it for a backup if it was me. Not just in case the new one fails but if you run into a problem later and want to know if its the new inverter that is causing some problem or not.

Inverter has arrived. I was curious if I could get 3/4in liquid tight conduit line connectors into the oval pv port of this unit and the answer is yes. I’m not a fan of the oval shaped ports but the line connector fit so it should be a cleaner install. Pretty excited. Unit looks good so far. Arrived quick free shipping via FedEx from Sungold. (California warehouse View attachment 173434View attachment 173435address)
I'm a bit confused. Why does this look different than the one I'm seeing on the sungold (and amazon) websites - https://sungoldpower.com/collection.../products/10kw-48v-split-phase-solar-inverter

They changed the displays last week. SRNE offered them both round and rectangle. It appears they made a change.
I was wondering that myself as I ordered mine and it’s round as well.
Shouldn’t be any functional/internal difference but don’t take it as gospel
Yeah, I was suspecting it was just a cosmetic change....I'm being very tempted now that I've broken the EG4 spell. ;)

They changed the displays last week. SRNE offered them both round and rectangle. It appears they made a change.
I was wondering that myself as I ordered mine and it’s round as well.
Shouldn’t be any functional/internal difference but don’t take it as gospel
I didn't even notice that... I think I like the round display better than my rectangular ?
Hey SRNE / SGP if you're listening, add an led light bar around the display the hue of the sun and I'll order another one ?.

I didn't even notice that... I think I like the round display better than my rectangular ?
Hey SRNE / SGP if you're listening, add a led light bar around the display the hue of the sun and I'll order another one ?.
That’s a cool idea

This one/model can be used completely OFF GRID, right?
just battery, panels, load.
Yes. That's how I'm running my SRNE now. I only gave it grid input during initial programming.
I have also successfully charged batteries with an older 5500w non inverter generator with no issues (besides dirty power passing through to my loads during charging)

Back