diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

That sucks. Is there a way you could separate your light circuits and power them from a source where you do not get flicker? I realize that is not a fix but a work around.

Not an option without rewiring the entire house. Most rooms are on a separate breaker so receptacles and lighting share a circuit. It is a Colonial with a finished basement so this would be a massive undertaking.

Sungold Power were giving me the silent treatment too until last night when I sent them an email to suggest I was going to start a CC charge back.
I smell BS and stalling.

"Dear Mr gullible twit,

Sorry for the late reply because there is something wrong with our system.
We tried to send the emails to you for several times, but it failed.

Our technical department bought all the lights in the market for testing before, and the lights are arrived recently.
Sorry that the test has not finished yet, could you please wait a little longer?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards
Cindy
"

My reply

"The output is not a proper sine wave, terrible distortion. I could not even power my oscilloscope from the inverter because it put noise into it you could see in calibration mode.
Enough of the stalling, I want to return the units as per your 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Please send shipping labels."

Good luck, I just about gave up on it at this point. I still have an open case with Visa though.

Off-grid for 4.5 mo on two Sol-Arks. I have the same strobe effect on my mbath leds. It's not my 12K's, because I had the problem right after I installed our 20 SEER American Standard inverter hp to get ready for being totally off grid. It sets outside, just 6' away. I haven't tried Phillips or Cree bulbs yet.
Well, I installed CREE bulbs from Amazon. No more flicker from my variable speed heat pump on the bathroom 6 LED's!!!

Now domething new...my Sol-Ark 12K's shut down when I start my Dewalt circular saw. But a 2000W hospital backup power supply and my new EG4 6500ex runs it good. How ridiculous. It's always something. ??‍???

I did find some LED's that are "tolerable". I ordered title 5 Philips dimmable LED's for all the regular fixtures. They still flicker but a bit less noticeable. Likely due to the cap they installed for the dimming. I also installed their 5" can LED. Flickers like crazy for about 15 seconds then they find equilibrium and settle in. If you move the dimmer they go nuts again for about 15 seconds. The ceiling fan lights still flicker no matter what I try and the UPS's still trip randomly. Without the UPS's the long switchover from solar to grid or battery to grid causes all the networking gear to reset. Just living with it at this point. Very far from optimal and hoping we can get some resolution. I have spent so much time and money on things to try and alleviate this I am exhausted with it.
I did put this on the back burner since I am still trying to get my money back from an AliExpress seller for LifePo4 cells. Ordered 48 Eve 280k cells and received used 100ah CATL cells. I really wish we didn't have to navigate this minefield of shitty retailers and companies. I started this project with a lot of enthusiasm and have just been worn down by it.

Sungold Power were giving me the silent treatment too until last night when I sent them an email to suggest I was going to start a CC charge back.
I smell BS and stalling.

"Dear Mr gullible twit,

Sorry for the late reply because there is something wrong with our system.
We tried to send the emails to you for several times, but it failed.

Our technical department bought all the lights in the market for testing before, and the lights are arrived recently.
Sorry that the test has not finished yet, could you please wait a little longer?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards
Cindy
"

My reply

"The output is not a proper sine wave, terrible distortion. I could not even power my oscilloscope from the inverter because it put noise into it you could see in calibration mode.
Enough of the stalling, I want to return the units as per your 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Please send shipping labels."
Same nonsense they were telling me before they went silent. Keep waiting... Funny thing is when I message them from another account I get a response within 12 hours so their email works just fine.

An update to be fair to Sungold Power.
Despite my scope showing a good sine wave from 2 other inverters just touching the output with my probe tip and not having the clip attached to anything, apparently something about the SP6548 output would not allow my scope to lock the signal properly. It does have a sine wave output although it is way more noisy than a Growatt transformer unit and the Sol-Ark 12k.
However the delay tactics for the 30 day return continue to impress. I now have to send a picture to them showing the unit's packed in the box with all accessories ready to go.
At this point I will keep the units and just deal with the noisy output and use them for less critical loads.

Just beware as if we need to be reminded, dealing with the Chinese either directly or via distributes, you need to know that after sales service is just about non existent. They grab your money and don't care about anything else.

BTW just saw on their website that the next units will be shipped with a 500V PV input, just like the EG4 !!!

BTW just saw on their website that the next units will be shipped with a 500V PV input, just like the EG4 !!!
Can always ask for the new unit. I might do that. FYI when you send it back you have to bring it to an actual FedEx hub. I had to drive across my state to return the first unit. Tried 3 locations and all denied the package due to some ridiculous stipulation on the return label.

After shaking the sungold power tree again I was told that they verified the issue and will be sending a "filtering capacitor". I asked about specifics but have not received a response. Better not be for just 1 120v line, it would have to cover the entire 6.5Kw output.

Yep, the more I poked around the more I found that links them to MPP and Signature Solar as the OEM manufacturer. Also explains why they offered them as replacement options.
wring..
voltronics is the OEM
voltronics axpert
mpp solar
voltacon
eg4

are their "a" brands

everything else ( easun , and this )may come out of the same factories, but use possibly different internal component, which makes them cheaper, but i doubt of the same quality

wring..
voltronics is the OEM
voltronics axpert
mpp solar
voltacon
eg4

are their "a" brands

everything else ( easun , and this )may come out of the same factories, but use possibly different internal component, which makes them cheaper, but i doubt of the same quality
Interesting since they offered all those models for exchange. I would not be surpised to see they all come from the same factory.

they do, being like i said, their b lines have different (cheaper) component
I have yet to find a difference between the lv6548 and sp6548. Same everything down to the caps. Obviously the shell is rebranded. Do you know what's different? This issue is also popping up on newer lv6548s so I think it's just a manufacturing issue due to supply changes. Or are you saying the EG4, SunGold and MPP are all B line products?

I have yet to find a difference between the lv6548 and sp6548. Same everything down to the caps. Obviously the shell is rebranded. Do you know what's different? This issue is also popping up on newer lv6548s so I think it's just a manufacturing issue due to supply changes. Or are you saying the EG4, SunGold and MPP are all B line products?
nope, dont know if which cat the sp falls.
you could very well be right that it is a supply shortage, none the less i feel for you.

Back