diy solar

diy solar

5 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

Updates -
Ground mount is wired in.
No issues with different voltage strings to each mppt.
1 mppt is 6s2p (ground mount)
1 mppt is 9s2p (S and W roofs)

I worked it pretty good today, keeps on working with no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_182731.jpg
    IMG_20230916_182731.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230916_182520.jpg
    IMG_20230916_182520.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230916_152600.jpg
    IMG_20230916_152600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230916_183216.jpg
    IMG_20230916_183216.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Thought I may be having to post some bad news updates, turned out I was just suffering from Error Code 1D10T...
Monday and Tuesday I came home and realized the power was out at some point (I still haven't turned the grid breaker back on since initial programming). It couldn't have been off more than 30 minutes each time going by the blinking clocks and no ice melted...
Off course I never wired SA/pi direct to batteries and the cheap converter I bought on amazon last year didn't work after a I soldered and heat shrunk the connections Monday night, I was in a great mood... I blamed it on the batteries running to low due to crappy weather Sunday and low SoC.
Adjusted some low cut off voltages and came home yesterday to the same thing.
Wired up pi to old 24v system reduced max charging current bulk voltage.
Came home today and everything was fine.
Suspected root cause, addition of ground mount pushed the packs to quick causing cells to run at the top (I was charging to 3.57) and BMS to protect. This doesn't make sense to me unless it proves the SRNE can't run off panels only. I'm tempted to try and replicate it again now that SA should catch it.
I'm tired of typing.

Good news, zero issues with the inverter and it restarted automatically from whatever caused it to shut down in the first place. I wish I knew for certain but the BMS protect is the only thing that makes sense. If you haven't figured it out, there is it fault logging on the SRNE; of there is, please let me know how to find it.

Thought I may be having to post some bad news updates, turned out I was just suffering from Error Code 1D10T...
Monday and Tuesday I came home and realized the power was out at some point (I still haven't turned the grid breaker back on since initial programming). It couldn't have been off more than 30 minutes each time going by the blinking clocks and no ice melted...
Off course I never wired SA/pi direct to batteries and the cheap converter I bought on amazon last year didn't work after a I soldered and heat shrunk the connections Monday night, I was in a great mood... I blamed it on the batteries running to low due to crappy weather Sunday and low SoC.
Adjusted some low cut off voltages and came home yesterday to the same thing.
Wired up pi to old 24v system reduced max charging current bulk voltage.
Came home today and everything was fine.
Suspected root cause, addition of ground mount pushed the packs to quick causing cells to run at the top (I was charging to 3.57) and BMS to protect. This doesn't make sense to me unless it proves the SRNE can't run off panels only. I'm tempted to try and replicate it again now that SA should catch it.
I'm tired of typing.

Good news, zero issues with the inverter and it restarted automatically from whatever caused it to shut down in the first place. I wish I knew for certain but the BMS protect is the only thing that makes sense. If you haven't figured it out, there is it fault logging on the SRNE; of there is, please let me know how to find it.
The BMS would have disabled charging if it hit cell or pack protection but not discharge so the inverter should have stayed on, right?

Last edited:
The BMS would have disabled charging if it hit cell or pack protection but not discharge so the inverter should have stayed on, right?
Great point that I should have realized. I really have no idea what would have caused it. Production conditions today were nearly identical today to yesterday and Monday.
There were some posts about some recent sun activity but I didn't even consider that.
Could BMS hit HV protection and cause OV on the inverter? I'm off Friday, I'm put settings back and watch it closely.

Well I figured out the restarts are no fault of the inverter, it was in fact that error code 1D10T-usr lol.
I was / am pushing the BMS into protect, I'll have to plug the bluetooth modules back in to check my ovp settings and I'll reduce charging voltage on the inverter a bit more.
I heard the dryer stop running while I was outside shoveling coal off my truck and went inside to investigate. Yea, I burn anthracite and harvest photons...

I'll check idle again once I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_130050.jpg
    IMG_20230922_130050.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230922_130117.jpg
    IMG_20230922_130117.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230922_125444.jpg
    IMG_20230922_125444.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230922_125548.jpg
    IMG_20230922_125548.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230922_125601.jpg
    IMG_20230922_125601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230922_125523.jpg
    IMG_20230922_125523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Yea, I burn anthracite and harvest photons...
Being from PA I can see the use of coal for anything heat related to be extremely advantageous. Ive read PA has some of the richest and best quality anthracite coal on the planet. I only wish I lived so close to such energy dense deposits of fuel. Eucalyptus, Oak and, Pines will have to do for me.

Being from PA I can see the use of coal for anything heat related to be extremely advantageous. Ive read PA has some of the richest and best quality anthracite coal on the planet. I only wish I lived so close to such energy dense deposits of fuel. Eucalyptus, Oak and, Pines will have to do for me.
It really is awesome, especially while I'm still getting it for $200/ton and supporting a small breaker. Just over 2 ton in my bin, so far. I'm thinking that will get me through the winter while I use the mini split in the "shoulder" months; but if I find the mini split on heat mode uses a lot more energy than the stoker fans and my arrays aren't keeping up the stove will be lit sooner ?.
I burned my fare share of chords, coal is so much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_131701.jpg
    IMG_20230922_131701.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 17
Luckily weather doesn't get too cold or hot. I can get by on a single cord of wood or less per winter. I'd be lying if I hadn't thought about how nice it would be to have access to coal to heat this little residence.

I am a little surprised there will be a release of the 10kw parallel version when in reality the 5kw's can already be paralleled.

Is anyone using this or similar inverters with Li-on? Trying to figure out if it is worth leaving my 12S pack as is and not use the full capacity. Or add 2S more on the side to use more of the capacity.

1 month update.

1 major issue, I need to use a lot more power ?

From the display menus; 473 kwh produced, 445 used. If my math is correct that's ~94% efficiency, I can't complain one bit.

Everything just works. No restarts or errors, besides me charging to aggressively and the BMS going into protect.

It's handled everything I've thrown at it without issues - 240v well pump, air compressor, dryer and minisplit (obviously not running everything at the same time). 120v convection oven, microwave, induction cooktop, kettle, water distiller, table saw, miter saw, shop vac, heat gun, etc.

I still have zero regrets.

Great news!!! Can’t wait to start asking you a ton of questions in a week or two ?
Mine is supposed to be here this week.

Have you tried their app or are you just using solar assistant? On FB their app gets some pretty awful reviews. I guess the update delays are a nuisance

1 month update.

1 major issue, I need to use a lot more power ?

From the display menus; 473 kwh produced, 445 used. If my math is correct that's ~94% efficiency, I can't complain one bit.

Everything just works. No restarts or errors, besides me charging to aggressively and the BMS going into protect.

It's handled everything I've thrown at it without issues - 240v well pump, air compressor, dryer and minisplit (obviously not running everything at the same time). 120v convection oven, microwave, induction cooktop, kettle, water distiller, table saw, miter saw, shop vac, heat gun, etc.

I still have zero regrets.
A month is not a year, so quality and reliability will take a bit longer to assess, but sounds like a home run as far as performance.

For an all DC-coupled solution (AIO) sounds like this is the full package but I’m trying to understand if there is a way to feed some AC-coupled solar power into an off-grid system as well.

Do you have any idea whether this puts out a clean enough ‘grid’ signal to activate Microinverters to do their thing?

When on-grid, do you have any idea whether excess AC power injected into the AC input will export out the AC inout or would that cause a fault condition?

The Schneider SW represents the reference for AC-coupling since it has an adaptive charging mode which can convert all excess AC power injected into the AC input into charge power rather than exporting out the AC input, and I know this SRNE inverter can’t do that but I’m trying to understand whether it will pass through excess power on the AC input when on-grid as well as whether it’s output is clean-enough to fool a Microinverter into thinking it is on grid when it is not.

Great news!!! Can’t wait to start asking you a ton of questions in a week or two ?
Mine is supposed to be here this week.

Have you tried their app or are you just using solar assistant? On FB their app gets some pretty awful reviews. I guess the update delays are a nuisance
I haven't even taken the wifi dongle out of the package, it's been all SA.

A month is not a year, so quality and reliability will take a bit longer to assess, but sounds like a home run as far as performance.
Agreed
For an all DC-coupled solution (AIO) sounds like this is the full package but I’m trying to understand if there is a way to feed some AC-coupled solar power into an off-grid system as well.

Do you have any idea whether this puts out a clean enough ‘grid’ signal to activate Microinverters to do their thing?
I have no idea, what would I need to test?
Judging by the lack of flickering lights, no odd motor noises, etc I'd think it's pretty clean power.
When on-grid, do you have any idea whether excess AC power injected into the AC input will export out the AC inout or would that cause a fault condition?
Not sure on that one.
The Schneider SW represents the reference for AC-coupling since it has an adaptive charging mode which can convert all excess AC power injected into the AC input into charge power rather than exporting out the AC input, and I know this SRNE inverter can’t do that but I’m trying to understand whether it will pass through excess power on the AC input when on-grid as well as whether it’s output is clean-enough to fool a Microinverter into thinking it is on grid when it is not.
If there is an easy way to test, let me know.

I have no idea, what would I need to test?
Judging by the lack of flickering lights, no odd motor noises, etc I'd think it's pretty clean power.

Not sure on that one.

If there is an easy way to test, let me know.
You’d need a grid-tied inverter of some type - a Microinverter would probably be easiest. No old Enphase M215s lying around, huh ;).

Is this AIO your only solar rig?

You’d need a grid-tied inverter of some type - a Microinverter would probably be easiest. No old Enphase M215s lying around, huh ;).
Haha, no but the neighbor has a grid tied system installed ?
Is this AIO your only solar rig?
Pretty much. I still have my TP6048 hanging on the wall and my 1500W 24V board build on another wall.
This is the only one doing any real work.

Haha, no but the neighbor has a grid tied system installed ?

Pretty much. I still have my TP6048 hanging on the wall and my 1500W 24V board build on another wall.
This is the only one doing any real work.
Tell me more about your ‘1500W 24V board build’ - perhaps we can find something to work with there…

With a handle of ‘42OhmsPA’ sounds like you are not based near the SF Bay Area - I’ve got a spare Microinverter I could lend you if you were close by, but doesn’t look like that is an option.

Tell me more about your ‘1500W 24V board build’ - perhaps we can find something to work with there…
Just a cheap 1500w 120vac 24vdc inverter, epever SCC and some circuit breakers mounted on a sheet of plywood.
With a handle of ‘42OhmsPA’ sounds like you are not based near the SF Bay Area - I’ve got a spare Microinverter I could lend you if you were close by, but doesn’t look like that is an option.
No, I'm on the other side of the country in the middle of PA.

I did remember my clamp meter can measure Hz. I checked a little bit ago, 59.97 steady on both legs to N while metering with the dryer element cycling on and off.
The unused grid connection was at 59.98.
I'll have to check and see if 0.03 is within the tolerances listed in the manual.
Is it anything to worry about?

Just a cheap 1500w 120vac 24vdc inverter, epever SCC and some circuit breakers mounted on a sheet of plywood.
Hah, same as me. I’ve got a 3kW 24VDC 120VAC inverter fed by a 60A Epever SCC powered by a 3P1S solar string (all mounted on a sheet of plywood).

Do you have any DC-coupled PV powering that SCC and if so, what voltage?
No, I'm on the other side of the country in the middle of PA.
Figured that’s what the ‘PA’ in your handle might mean…
I did remember my clamp meter can measure Hz. I checked a little bit ago, 59.97 steady on both legs to N while metering with the dryer element cycling on and off.
The unused grid connection was at 59.98.
I'll have to check and see if 0.03 is within the tolerances listed in the manual.
Is it anything to worry about?
According to this: https://www.iso-ne.com/static-asset...112014/inverter_manufacturers_perspective.pdf

Normal Operation is 58.5Hz to 60.5Hz, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about at 59.X hertz…

If you are interested to try to test a grid-tied inverter running off of your SRNE hybrid, send me a PM and we can brainstorm off-line…

diy solar

diy solar
Back