diy solar

diy solar

Cell price drop

The cells need to be at same voltage, preferably after charging & 1 hour of settle time. That can mean just charging to 3.300 until amps taken drops to 5A.

I always touch the contacts to ensure it is zeroes out before I test the next cell.
I haven't used my 1030+ for a few years, after getting the 1035+ there wasn't much point.

467ff5b3-f732-499b-9246-6c49ea2c2c2e.jpg

The cells need to be at same voltage, preferably after charging & 1 hour of settle time. That can mean just charging to 3.300 until amps taken drops to 5A.

I always touch the contacts to ensure it is zeroes out before I test the next cell.
I haven't used my 1030+ for a few years, after getting the 1035+ there wasn't much point.
I haven't charged the cells yet as my order on YR1035+ is late, but the buyer that came today had YR1030+ to test these.

But now that you've mentioned the contacts, I don't recall him zeroing the contacts before measuring. I was very surprised to see the measurements as per the factory test report, it's supposed to be at 0.31-0,32 mΩ.

The cells did sit in the box for about 36 days after receiving the order, don't know if that makes any difference. All cells measured the same voltage.

Last edited:
At static storage voltage like that it is pretty meaningless as MANY things affect IR. You also have no clue when they were last charged IF AT ALL beyond the factory test cycle just after they add the Electrolyte & Activate the cells.

Factory Tests are done just after the electrolyte is activated and going into the Qualification test cycle.
Most vendors ONLY test the cells at the voltage received (standard storage voltage) and claim they are matching them when THEY ARE NOT MATCHED.

Cells that have been idle & stored for over 3 months should be Top Charged & Balanced to fully reactivate them. If they have been frozen while in storage, this again must be done... If cells were in production & operations and then offlined and unused for 6 month or more, Manufacturers also recommend a full charge to fully reactivate.

This comes from the Cell Manufacturers including EVE, CATL, Lishen and GanFeng etc.

That's probably it then. Thanks.

The buyer did say that's fine and was very happy with the components and the offer I've made to him. All of it is technically brand new for the price of less than used.

Obviously, the math supports my decision regarding the amount I've asked, as I'll be able to revamp my system from a cute lil backup system to an actual usable home system within the same overall spending. Market and prices change, and as once upon a time a wise person said "be water, my friend." ;)

I feel blessed I've found a buyer who knows a thing or two about solar and batteries, and appreciated the more than fair offer for the cell packs taken out of the off-the-shelf batteries, and other new or barely used components. :)

Anyhow, I was just curious about the cell IR, partially because I'll be ordering more batteries from NKON soon. Learning more as I go ;)

Just need to get the remainder of my orders for all the tools I'll need to test each cell and the whole battery.

Last edited:
Be Aware that the RED SEA Nonsense is affecting a segment of shipping routes, which is having a knock-on effect. This will undoubtedly affect Shipping Costs (you know the profiteer's first rule: Take advantage of every situation) so expect S & H costs to get adjusted. How exactly that will play out is uncertain but certain some Shipping Destination will be impacted for certain. Depending on where you are, expect some craziness.

Be Aware that the RED SEA Nonsense is affecting a segment of shipping routes, which is having a knock-on effect. This will undoubtedly affect Shipping Costs (you know the profiteer's first rule: Take advantage of every situation) so expect S & H costs to get adjusted. How exactly that will play out is uncertain but certain some Shipping Destination will be impacted for certain. Depending on where you are, expect some craziness.
Oil price craziness will probably happen also..give with one hand.. take away with the other..

Found old invoice from 2009 for 4x 180Ah Thundersky cells shipped from China. $344/kWh or $489/kWh in today's dollars. 2009 > 2024 inflation = 43% ?

ts180ah.JPG

Last edited:
I just got a quote from eve directly lf280k cells incl bus bars for 71usd per cell. Not including shipping.

I just got a quote from eve directly lf280k cells incl bus bars for 71usd per cell. Not including shipping.
Can you give some details on quantity for that pricing? Did they give an estimate on shipping (mainland US)? How are you communicating with them (alibaba or direct)? Thanks much.

$71/cell is cheaper than the group buy days of 2019 and 2020. Wild.

Can you give some details on quantity for that pricing? Did they give an estimate on shipping (mainland US)? How are you communicating with them (alibaba or direct)? Thanks much.

$71/cell is cheaper than the group buy days of 2019 and 2020. Wild.
I went onto Alibaba and contacted eve direct. Waiting on shipping to Canada tomorrow they will let me know! I've ordered lots of Alibaba directly. Including our massive 15' wide bifold door triple pane low e argon with aluminum thermal break. We have 15' and two 12' wide doors. Pm me if anyone wants that hookup. Check out my YouTube vids. I ordered my other cells off there as well. 68 total first time around.

I am looking to import 40+ batteries. Also adding 5kw solar vertical on fence posts for our winter low sun! 😎

Are there any new hoops and hurdles with importing bulk cells into North America?

Are there any new hoops and hurdles with importing bulk cells into North America?
Define 'bulk'. I haven't heard of any issues for at least up to 96 cell batches that my buddy got.

Screenshot_20240212224613.pngScreenshot_20240212224600.png

Prices seem pretty fair these days! Bulk meaning 120-160 cells as they ship 4/ per wooden crate. I prefer to move things with forklifts.

My favorite right now is LiTime.com. (LiTime is the new name for Ampere Time)
The 24v 100ah is 2.5kWh. A pair is 5kWh for $1,028. (use the KLA6 to get 6% off lately. that will expire someday)
That's $206 per kWh.

I'm a 24v system right now but aim to be 48v in the future.
These are $450.50 right now on eBay. 👍

Back