diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Lights flickering

We didn't have flickering with those units when we tested them. We see the flickering for a number of reasons and it doesn't happen with everybody. It's an anomaly. There are thousands of these units in the field and the last report I ran we are dealing with roughly 2 dozen instances that we can't identify the root cause. When we have someone who wasn't able to complete the troubleshooting process we were left with only the facts we could glean on our test bench.
Then you should have updated that thread indicating that it does not fix the issue.

Gavin Stone from that thread is also in this thread now.​

Last edited:
Especially since people have been quoting it like gospel since then. ?
If other read that thread and have the same issue as yours, they would think the new FW did fix the problem. I wonder what will happen if some one calls SS Customer service and ask them about light flickering issue, what will they say, I bet each call you will not get the same answer.
BTW, they should get the 40% restocking fee back since the new FW did not fix the problem, or was FW updating claim is used for keep the restocking fee.

May be he still blaming you for not give SS more info, and more time.... LOL!
I see that. That did bother me last week. But you open yourself up to criticism when you post something publicly. And I’m definitely not immune to that. People have different experiences with businesses and in life. So they’ll come to different conclusions about my original post. Such is life.

If other read that thread and have the same issue as yours, they would think the new FW did fix the problem. I wonder what will happen if some one calls SS Customer service and ask them about light flickering issue, what will they say, I bet each call you will not get the same answer.
I think they’ll probably start giving them consistent answers to say. It’s a PR problem and I believe they don’t want that to continue to happen. Granted that won’t help the wait times. But they’ll get things figured out from a PR standpoint I’d bet.

Well, some customer of yours may not want to mention the name when found out the given info from customer service is wrong:

Newer models of EG4 6500ex are built without the bonding screw​

The customer service does not seem to know about the units have been shipped out without the bonding screw.

Farm Boy

Post #172: I talked to a person at Signature Solar through e mail about the eg4 6500ex and bonding screw. He told me unless instructed by a member of Signature Solar, if you take out the bonding screw it will completely void the warranty.
Post #187: The fellow I email with gets back to me quickly and don't know what department he is in but not going to mention his name.
I have no context to the conversation that this user had and since he isn't really saying anything. If someone is putting out misinformation why would it be an issue to put a name on it? Makes it more worthwhile. That gives me an opportunity to educate the Tech rather than throwing out a vague blanket statement that has no way of being corroborated.
Then you should have updated that thread that it does not fix the issue.
Sometimes it does fix the issue is the thing. Usage cases and setup application play a huge part in this. I know we are always the bad guy, uninformed, don't know what we are talking about... But some of the people on this forum (I won't mention any of their names) trash us constantly and if I were to post pics of their setups here you would be amazed. Diagnosing an issue on this forum with limited information is going to ultimately be a guess unless it is discussing a well known issue with lots of information to back it up. Which no one really has posted in regard to flickering. I haven't seen one single picture of a dirty sine wave or fluctuating on a voltage meter along with setup pics that everything was hooked up correctly. People make wild statements and accusations about length of time waiting for service, then I go check and see that they've been waiting a week rather than the 6 weeks they've said they waited. Or that the inverter keeps dropping after switching to PV only to find out that the Pos and Neg are swapped coming in to the unit. I understand that no one wants to look bad and always wants it to be our fault... but we're literally the ones trying to help! We offer a low cost solution that people can afford to get off grid, we are doing all we can to try and train a competent Tech Support team as fast as we can to keep up with the demand for help. I know it takes a while sometimes, but a lot of that is because we have 250 people call everyday needing set up help. I wish it wouldn't be viewed so negatively if I could show everyone here the numerous success stories, happy customers, and positive reviews we see every day! Like I've stated in the past, I don't mind seeing that most people attack us here, because it does indicate a problem. Then we go work hard to solve those problems! Does anyone remember the Error Code 61 issue from a few months ago? Sure, but no one has to deal with that anymore because we solved for it. When we identify an issue, we work on it and figure it out. That's what we're doing with the flickering issues and that's what we'll do with anything else that comes up in the future.

I think they’ll probably start giving them consistent answers to say. It’s a PR problem and I believe they don’t want that to continue to happen. Granted that won’t help the wait times. But they’ll get things figured out from a PR standpoint I’d bet.
I hope they refund the 40% restocking fee, since the the new FW did not fix the issue.

I have no context to the conversation that this user had and since he isn't really saying anything. If someone is putting out misinformation why would it be an issue to put a name on it? Makes it more worthwhile. That gives me an opportunity to educate the Tech rather than throwing out a vague blanket statement that has no way of being corroborated.

Sometimes it does fix the issue is the thing. Usage cases and setup application play a huge part in this. I know we are always the bad guy, uninformed, don't know what we are talking about... But some of the people on this forum (I won't mention any of their names) trash us constantly and if I were to post pics of their setups here you would be amazed. Diagnosing an issue on this forum with limited information is going to ultimately be a guess unless it is discussing a well known issue with lots of information to back it up. Which no one really has posted in regard to flickering. I haven't seen one single picture of a dirty sine wave or fluctuating on a voltage meter along with setup pics that everything was hooked up correctly. People make wild statements and accusations about length of time waiting for service, then I go check and see that they've been waiting a week rather than the 6 weeks they've said they waited. Or that the inverter keeps dropping after switching to PV only to find out that the Pos and Neg are swapped coming in to the unit. I understand that no one wants to look bad and always wants it to be our fault... but we're literally the ones trying to help! We offer a low cost solution that people can afford to get off grid, we are doing all we can to try and train a competent Tech Support team as fast as we can to keep up with the demand for help. I know it takes a while sometimes, but a lot of that is because we have 250 people call everyday needing set up help. I wish it wouldn't be viewed so negatively if I could show everyone here the numerous success stories, happy customers, and positive reviews we see every day! Like I've stated in the past, I don't mind seeing that most people attack us here, because it does indicate a problem. Then we go work hard to solve those problems! Does anyone remember the Error Code 61 issue from a few months ago? Sure, but no one has to deal with that anymore because we solved for it. When we identify an issue, we work on it and figure it out. That's what we're doing with the flickering issues and that's what we'll do with anything else that comes up in the future.
So you are not sure then if it is really FW or hardware issue since you are able to see/not see the issue at YOUR place using the same bunch of the same hardware and setup at YOUR place.
What are your customer services telling the customers now at this point about the issue?
I guess someone should call in and find out.

So you are not sure then if it is really FW or hardware issue since you are able to see/not see the issue at YOUR place using the same bunch of the same hardware and setup at YOUR place.
It was connected and flickering before the update then it stopped when we flashed the update. That's all we could base it on. But our techs made some serious mistakes in his process, which is our bigger concern in this case.
I highly doubt that would ever be an outcome.
I looked Gavin's issue over again and I think he was treated unfairly and I reacted badly after reading what he said on the forum. SS will reimburse the difference in his case. @Gavin Stone check your email. I'm sorry for what happened here. I don't expect you ever want to work with us again, I just never want anyone to walk away feeling like we are out to screw them out of money.

It was connected and flickering before the update then it stopped when we flashed the update. That's all we could base it on. But our techs made some serious mistakes in his process, which is our bigger concern in this case.

I looked Gavin's issue over again and I think he was treated unfairly and I reacted badly after reading what he said on the forum. SS will reimburse the difference in his case. @Gavin Stone check your email. I'm sorry for what happened here. I don't expect you ever want to work with us again, I just never want anyone to walk away feeling like we are out to screw them out of money.
Thank you for taking the responsibility to make it right for the customer, this is how good business stays in business.

Last edited:
My system also causes lights to flicker. It is worse during the day after the batteries are 100% SOC and the PV is only needed for AC output. At that point the AC output voltage also has higher fluctuation ranges, I'll insert screenshot from today. For example, my microwave light was flashing like a strobe, turn on the microwave and it stops; turn off the microwave and it strobes again.

@BenFromSignatureSolar in post #12 says a solution is being pursued. Ben is there any update?

You can see how the AC voltage fluctuation increases from no PV, to when PV starts to charge, and after charge is 100%.

View attachment 133781
I can run every electric device in my house, stove, dryer, dishwasher, water well, at the same time while I am making 9 KW and the lights still flicker like hell (incandescent, not LED) this includes the refrigerator light. Load does not seem to matter. When I first wired up my test electric outlet and the led lights in my battery room flickered, when I put load at the outlets, the flicker would diminish, not so on my whole house system.

I highly doubt that would ever be an outcome.
It looks like Ben will reimburse you after all, if I did not see this thread would not have known that the light flickering is still issue even after FW is updated, SS is still looking into the real cause of the issue, waiting to see the outcome.

I would never have attempted to build my system without the price level SS has for their components. I can't afford a Cadillac system where the inverter costs three times as much as the EG4 6000 and then you still need a controller. I fully expect my panels to last 25 to 30 years, hopefully the Lifepower batteries last 15 or more. Hopefully my inverters will have a fix to stop the flicker, if not, I guess I will have to live with it. My main goal was to be independent and more in control of my power, not beholding to the powers that be. For something that will last long term, I am willing to be patient in the short term while waiting on a fix. Sure beats the hell out of kerosene lanterns.

Honestly I wish I could formulate a better reply but I’m still a bit stunned. Plus it’s been a long work day. But I wanted to say thank you Ben. You reacted with some emotion. But my original post had some emotion in it also. I’d like to message you some thoughts tomorrow. Again, thank you.

They are now. U1 79.60 and U2 61.06 (I was under the impression that the newest firmware only helped with the error 61 so I never bothered to update.) Factory firmware was U1 79.02 and U2 61.01

It's the middle of winter (sun is scarce) so it may be a day or two before I can check on the flicker.
I can confirm that the flicker is worse with the newest firmware. It now occurs on all lights, at a much slower strobe rate and is very obvious.

I may try and completely remove the ground wire going from each (unbonded) inverter and the first means of disconnect (where the bonding occurs) I'll run the inverter grounds to a secondary grounding rod that is unused and located about 50 feet from my primary ground. Since the Critical load panel is protected by a 60 amp breaker and the ground is tied in with the rest of the house...I see no issues, unless I'm overlooking something.

I did notice several improvements with the updated firmware; Display screen responds faster, cooling fans are quieter, lower idle consumption (will need to double check that one (maybe fan speed?)).

Back