diy solar

diy solar

Rant: EG4 48v 100ah battery has faulty BMS. Signature solar customer service is TERRIBLE

I've had four EG4 48V batteries for a year and a half. most the time my EG4 3k inverters are set to USER, which I believe takes the BMS out of the equation. When the BMS is on, they take twice as long to charge and they will only discharge to 20%. I let them discharge to 10%, of course, now that it is cold weather, the warning lights are flashing every morning. SS says that I am harming the batteries, are they right or wrong?

Not sure if brief 10% SoC impacts life, but you're consuming 18 kWh of 20 kWh gross overnight? Shedding some loads would leave more margin. If capacity degrades or simply shorter days mean longer nights, it seems like you're going to have power go out.

When the BMS is on, they take twice as long to charge and they will only discharge to 20%. I let them discharge to 10%, of course, now that it is cold weather, the warning lights are flashing every morning.
That’s not a protocol I would make a habit out of.
Not sure your latitude/region, but I’d figure out a way to curb your usage. A lot. Problem solved. You’re welcome.

Not sure if brief 10% SoC impacts life, but you're consuming 18 kWh of 20 kWh gross overnight? Shedding some loads would leave more margin. If capacity degrades or simply shorter days mean longer nights, it seems like you're going to have power go out.
l have my house and 3 studio apts. that need to be heated up in the morning.Lately l've installed mini-splits to lighten the load, and so far the utility has not had to bailout the batteries, before the sun comes up. Last year the utility was taking over a few hours before sunrise, when it got down to freezing outside. .

Last year the utility was taking over a few hours before sunrise, when it got down to freezing outside
I’d set it to have the utility kick in earlier in the night cycle imho- before you crowd the batteries dead.

I’d set it to have the utility kick in earlier in the night cycle imho- before you crowd the batteries dead.
I just got 4 more 400 watt panels, which will max the input of the inverters. Once they are online, i'll try switching on the BMS, Which will raise the cutoff to 20%. Maybe in the winter, the BMS Will function better.

Back