diy solar

diy solar

Signature solar horrible customer service

I was thinking of buying a few of the xwpro inverters from them since they are local..but even though they are Schneider equipment I'm at pause due to the way they treat their customers...they really just don't care after the sale. I could save hundreds on shipping but am likely to go with Arizona wind and power because they have a good standing in the community for customer service and giving a shit down the road.
Alt-E or Current Connected.

I was thinking of buying a few of the xwpro inverters from them since they are local..but even though they are Schneider equipment I'm at pause due to the way they treat their customers...they really just don't care after the sale. I could save hundreds on shipping but am likely to go with Arizona wind and power because they have a good standing in the community for customer service and giving a shit down the road.
I’d bet they don’t make much money from the sales. Just a wild guess. The price is close to other similiar branded units like MPP Solar and SunGoldPower. I don’t think they are making a fortune from them. If not seeing a good return not going to put much in. Just a guess.

BTW think about this.
On my YouTube page Adams channel appears in 4 out of the Top 10 videos on an EG4 6500 search and I have only watched three of his numerous videos. Anyone who is thinking of buying this Inverter has most likely seen his channel.

If EG4/Signature Solar cannot take care of a customer like this, what do you think happens to the regular guy?
I am pretty sure that an SS rep will soon chime in saying DM me Adam. Then maybe something positive might happen.
My question is why does it require things to reach this level?
it would be nice if cheaper things made more expensive things obsolete but we often find that is not truth. ? Sometimes we find expensive things are problem prone and bad customer support too. I have read reports of Victron support being bad and ppl referenced back to their rep all the time by main company.
So maybe like SS …they end up middle man between customer and Voltronics. Like the Victron rep is middle man between customer and Victron. I almost bought Victron but man it was expensive for just an emergency back up system.

Sure will suck when an emergency happens and my system doesn’t work … no doubt I’ll be wishing had bought Victron. If spent all that money and the Victron let me down would be furious. ???? That is why I have 2 gas generators and a lifepo solar generator backup in addition to my mpp solar inverter system. 1 word: “redundancy” for ways to get power.

The recent reported troubles of Battleborn batteries are proof spending more money doesn’t mean less problems and more reliable. It shown right get brand new batteries and request to take down the video of the failure. ?? the videos on youtube can make a company respond.

Don’t think there is a simple solution but agree would like to set it and forget myself = too. You have a common valid point. Or least ways I for one agree with you. ?

Thanks for the link. I'm shy when ordering "used" important electronics like a inverter...you never know how they were treated. With supply chain issues I'm leaning towards new.

Thanks for the link. I'm shy when ordering "used" important electronics like a inverter...you never know how they were treated. With supply chain issues I'm leaning towards new.

Me too, but eBay sellers are pretty good about such things, in the short term.
I've been able to return DOA items even though listing said "no returns" (was listed as used/working, not "for parts/repair")
I've bought and returned things like scopes in the couple $thousand range. Listing said no errors, and while none at boot-up, extra self test showed them. Also, features listed were available for that model but not installed.

I've bought a lot of SMA stuff through eBay. My first purchases were from Real Goods (now owned by Alt-E Store), but since then all eBay. Charge controllers, Web Box, Sunny Boy Control, Sunny Boys, TriPowers, Sunny Islands. Almost all were new.

I’d bet they don’t make much money from the sales. Just a wild guess. The price is close to other similiar branded units like MPP Solar and SunGoldPower. I don’t think they are making a fortune from them. If not seeing a good return not going to put much in. Just a guess.
I agree, I don't think they make all that much money from the Inverter or battery sales.
They are also not taking into account that each unit they ship out the door is another customer that will be seeking support.
It's all well and good for the short term to be shipping out 200 inverters a week but you better consider the fact that you will reach a point where your inability to offer customer support will just wreck your company reputation overnight.
it would be nice if cheaper things made more expensive things obsolete but we often find that is not truth. ? Sometimes we find expensive things are problem prone and bad customer support too. I have read reports of Victron support being bad and ppl referenced back to their rep all the time by main company.
I never make big purchases based on the notion that a higher price means a better product. Like anyone else I set a budget but admittedly sometimes I will smash that budget if a product really stands out.
First I gather all the technical info on the product that I can. Then I look at the customer feedback, taking carefull notes of common themes in the negative feedback. My next step is then testing out the customer support telephone number to get an idea of how good the support is. I called Sol-Ark and Fortress Power several times just to ask technical questions and that was what sealed the deal for me. If I cannot even reach the CSR people or they cannot answer my questions about the product I am never going to buy that product.

I watched a few of his videos over the months and I really started to wondering if he was just trying to grow a YouTube channel or if he really liked pain and suffering. This video at least made it clear to me that he is just a regular guy with super human patience!
Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I started recording things just for free storage. I wanted to document my process and recorded videos take up a lot of space... Then I ended up discovering that there was a somewhat of a void of information other than "it's plugged in and powering X". Then I started having/experiencing some of these issues and realized that if I'm experiencing these things, I can't be the only one. I enjoy problem solving, so if I can figure out resolutions to the problems and share them, maybe I can help someone out.

I could honestly give a flying fart about how may subscribers I have or how big my channel is. Not to say I'm not appreciative if someone wants to follow along, but that's not really why I'm doing this.

Ok so buy 2-3 EG4 inverters and be done with it. When one quits you have another one on hand to replace it. Easy peasy
I did that and ran outa inverters before every getting a reply to an email or call back changed one out in November one had another one fail outa the blue after running a similar amount of time. They last about 4months or so before randomly burning up. So if I ever do get ahold of SS and get them warrantied I’ll resell them for cheap to help off set the cost of the solark 15s I ordered. My only beef with eg4 products is they have never worked as advertised with any consistency at all. Some features have never worked as advertised at all. Customer service is complete shambles now. I have given these inverters time and time again to just work reliably for even a week without intervention and numerous failures and replaced them several times thinking it was poor quality control and eventually get a good one but after Sol-ark money trying to prove to myself these things can work it very clear they are junk. Being made in China isn’t the issue, lots of quality products are made in China. It’s like others have said it seems that SS has bit off more than they can chew and have growing pains but all those issues are simply being glossed over by the simple fact they want to make the sale. So I’m installing some Sol-arks and will be very skiptical of there performance but do this simple task. Search the inter webs for eg4 issues, then search for sol-ark issues. You will be hard pressed to find any issues with one of them that is anywhere serious compared to the other. You get what u pay for people. Don’t complain when you pay shit for something and get shit.

Last edited:
Most of the world and the last generation or two has lost the ability to communicate effectively because of Email and txt… A good old fashioned phone call could cover so much more ground and leave a person with a sence of relief as the issue was solved . Next topic please….!
it’s too easy to hide behind a keyboard that can’t talk back,make excuses , dodge people and be a poor communicator.

I sent you an email …I sent a txt …. I left you a voice mail … sry they got lost….
REALLY , why wouldn’t you return my call and help resolve this matter in 5 min..?

phone calls are prehistoric… I’m not my dad ….I don’t do phone calls . I’m too busy.

Seemed very happy about the way things were working and apologized that someone would be using his videos on a forum in this way and that wasn't his intention. He was understandably concerned because he wasn't updated frequently enough through the repair process of his other inverters, but he has since got them back and not having any issues. Seems to me that @realpinochet is being a tad dramatic, but that is his right. This is an open forum and I'm glad his post gave us the opportunity to follow up with Mr. Motes. I really am more concerned with the OP at this point, I want to make things right for him.

I don't have a dog in this fight or know any of the posters/players mentioned in this thread however I do have to say the above response shows a lack of professionalism and it does NOT reflect well on your company.

You are becoming defensive and making this personal and that is never a good idea.

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I started recording things just for free storage. I wanted to document my process and recorded videos take up a lot of space... Then I ended up discovering that there was a somewhat of a void of information other than "it's plugged in and powering X". Then I started having/experiencing some of these issues and realized that if I'm experiencing these things, I can't be the only one. I enjoy problem solving, so if I can figure out resolutions to the problems and share them, maybe I can help someone out.

I could honestly give a flying fart about how may subscribers I have or how big my channel is. Not to say I'm not appreciative if someone wants to follow along, but that's not really why I'm doing this.
Yep, and I started my channel for the same reason and to show videos of what I'm seeing.

I see some others now are affiliates of various entities. I'm always a person of honor and integrity, I don't sell my soul to the devil. I've seen a big money grab on Youtube with all the different solar system influencers. Not a good trend.

I can always turn the comments off. :LOL:

If I link videos here, it's for the information provided within. I have full plate daily for work load, I have no intentions of making a dime off my channel.

You must be my single subscriber? :ROFLMAO:
I realize it’s for information purposes. I wasn’t saying you were wanting money. I just didn’t want to create any further issues for you. If you want to link it instead I can remove my comment.

I’m actually your second sub. I’m getting in at the ground floor. ?

Reactions: Zwy
I spent my time in jail working on getting these videos and checking sources for information on inverter (not just the Eg4) light flicker. Even the high end units have been thru this problem. It was productive use of my time.

I saw some of the sine waves posted here in the forum by users that probably have limited scope experience. I use my DSO's in the shop daily on DC circuits and I'm quite well versed in aliasing, bandwidth and sample rate. The scope I used was a cheap scope but one you see members had purchased, I purchased it for the high voltage probe which I did not have one. The scope is capable using only one channel and a time sweep that doesn't alias and drop data points.

I'm a tech, not an engineer but I certainly see some issues. If you want to start a thread and link some videos, I don't have a problem with it. It could use some discussion.

I spent my time in jail working on getting these videos and checking sources for information on inverter (not just the Eg4) light flicker. Even the high end units have been thru this problem. It was productive use of my time.

I saw some of the sine waves posted here in the forum by users that probably have limited scope experience. I use my DSO's in the shop daily on DC circuits and I'm quite well versed in aliasing, bandwidth and sample rate. The scope I used was a cheap scope but one you see members had purchased, I purchased it for the high voltage probe which I did not have one. The scope is capable using only one channel and a time sweep that doesn't alias and drop data points.

I'm a tech, not an engineer but I certainly see some issues. If you want to start a thread and link some videos, I don't have a problem with it. It could use some discussion.
I don’t need to link a particular video. Just trying to help, since someone asked about the channel. If I were you I would probably make a specific thread with some of your videos or issue though. Best of luck.

I don’t need to link a particular video. Just trying to help, since someone asked about the channel. If I were you I would probably make a specific thread with some of your videos or issue though. Best of luck.
I've had a few that want a rundown of what steps I've taken so I just might start a thread and go thru it. That was my original plan with the videos I put on my channel and make it easy for members here to understand.

Back