diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Experience, Bad or Good

I purchased a EG4 18Kw pv inverter about 7 months ago and it's been in operation for about 6 months now. I'm not the type of person to usually comment
publicly on a product or vender, but I believe I have to in this case.
In my opinion the EG4 18Kw pv inverter is great. So easy to pickup and set the parameters, it's smart and does so many things, has great software (no surprises
always works), easy software updates and compatible with a lot of aftermarket software and equipment, examples: solar assistant, many battery manufactures, BMS manufactures and much more. Lots of product information on the internet and solar forums. Very interesting reading what other owners are doing with inverter.
I didn't have much input about Signature Solar until two weeks ago. Yes there sales people were good and they had good help getting set up but really
with no problems and such an easy inverter to use I didn't have much contact with them.
So I had a problem recently, battery wouldn't charge or discharge. My thoughts, something wrong with my BMS, inverter, or maybe communication or whatever.
I looked for the obvious problems, no luck. Well looks like Signature Solar needs a call so I can get tech support. I tried emailing a tech which helped me set up, never did get a reply back. So I tried calling, I thought this ain't going after a few calls. I found if I called early and waited on line for about 15 minutes it worked got through.
Keep in mind the following is my experience with Signature Solar and it is so different from what I've been reading. SS once I made initial contact with a tech was
a very good experience. In fact so good I felt guilty not giving positive input. So this is it my input and a little summary of problem and SS's resolution.
So pinpointing problem (battery wouldn't charge or discharge) wasn't easy, not necessarily the inverter. I had to take a lot of pictures, videos and make many
voltage and ohm tests. Lots of messaging, phone conversation, and different people I was involved with. Their final determination and resolution was shipping inverter
back and shipping me a new inverter. I believe there is a short in DC buss, they said they want to check out this inverter never had anything like this. According to SS
they don't have many problems with this inverter. I asked if they would let me know what the problem is and what caused it. So I'm waiting for that answer.
As a final note I would like to thank SS people who worked hard for me.
Ethan Greeley, Payton Pearsall, Jared Routon, Chris, Na Tahsa
Fascinating. I just had the same experience. 18k was running for 7 or 8 months flawlessly, the suddenly a couple of days ago batteries were giving an error. I got to troublesboot with them quickly, though, and concluded shorted DC bus, which they also told me was really uncommon.

What I don't like is the wait for RMA, shipping times, etc. I wish they would ship one with a cc hold and give a week to ship the other back. Like with phone trade ins. If it weren't for that inconvenience, and now seeing you have the same issue, they've been good to work with for me.

Odd you have that same issue.

Fascinating. I just had the same experience. 18k was running for 7 or 8 months flawlessly, the suddenly a couple of days ago batteries were giving an error. I got to troublesboot with them quickly, though, and concluded shorted DC bus, which they also told me was really uncommon.

What I don't like is the wait for RMA, shipping times, etc. I wish they would ship one with a cc hold and give a week to ship the other back. Like with phone trade ins. If it weren't for that inconvenience, and now seeing you have the same issue, they've been good to work with for me.

Yes we do have the same. I am on grid and have a bypass. It helped.
It's not going happen over night. Main thing for me I got a new one.

I believe I caused the inverter problem by not following startup and shutdown of inverter per manual.

Yes we do have the same. I am on grid and have a bypass. It helped.
It's not going happen over night. Main thing for me I got a new one.

I believe I caused the inverter problem by not following startup and shutdown of inverter per manual.
My new one is on the way soon. The only difference is mine had been running for quite a while and then just stopped. I hope we can find out the cause when they get our old ones.

I'd also like to mention that my experience with SS has been quite good. No one likes an inverter to go out. But, mine went out yesterday. About 30 minute wait for tech (Gavin) and then we spent 45 going through everything. Was sent to resolutions- (Chris and Jonathan) and they worked with me on a resolution that met my needs, Celeste from new sales, for some new stuff, Jessica for jumping in while I was in a panic. The shipping department (and Jonathan) that got my 6000xp sent out fast (good pinch hitter inverter and want for another solar trailer project).

All of that is to say, I love the 18k, eager for the 6000xp to play with, and from my experience, sig solar has been top notch. Even when I wasn't.

I'd also like to mention that my experience with SS has been quite good. No one likes an inverter to go out. But, mine went out yesterday. About 30 minute wait for tech (Gavin) and then we spent 45 going through everything. Was sent to resolutions- (Chris and Jonathan) and they worked with me on a resolution that met my needs, Celeste from new sales, for some new stuff, Jessica for jumping in while I was in a panic. The shipping department (and Jonathan) that got my 6000xp sent out fast (good pinch hitter inverter and want for another solar trailer project).

All of that is to say, I love the 18k, eager for the 6000xp to play with, and from my experience, sig solar has been top notch. Even when I wasn't.
Edit: to add to my experience, @SignatureSolarJess just let me know my 18k has shipped. 28 hours after I called with the failure. Seems quite excellent to me.

Edit: to add to my experience, @SignatureSolarJess just let me know my 18k has shipped. 28 hours after I called with the failure. Seems quite excellent to me.
Glad to hear you're taken care of. Also it's good you gave SS positive input. I personally don't think SS deserves any of the negativity that's on the Internet.

Well it's been a while since my last interaction was signature solar so I guess it's fine to give a review. I've had no problems with the equipment I purchased from signature solar, namely the life power Batteries.

I initially purchase 4x 24 volt batteries following signature solar's guidance that I could wire them in series for 48 volts at a later date. I did end up running like this for a couple of months, but I found that the 24 volt batteries in series would diverge in voltage. This had the potential of overpack voltage alarm although I never had that issue.

About once a month I disconnected them and charged them at 24 volts regimen. I gave some advice to members on this board about putting these batteries in series. Signature solar noticed and issued a correction, after they had reviewed the guidance materials I had followed.

Beyond that, they replaced my 24 volt batteries with 48 volt batteries, and treated me very well. I now have six life Power Batteries, 48 volt, and they've been chugging along for around 6 months now no problem.

I was worried about seeking support, and I have had to wait on the phone when I called several years ago, but I had no problem with their communication most recently. From my experience and looking at the experience of others on this board, it appears that signature solar has gotten their feet under them and addressed the past issues with customer support.

Your definition of “great” is pretty funny
Hi Lighthouse Beacan

Follow up, I had my defective inverter replaced with a new one for free in a reasonable time frame. In my mind problem may have been caused me.
The manual has a startup and shutdown procedure that I did not follow which may have caused DC buss to short out.

Hope that helps to better explain. JJB

Hi Lighthouse Beacan

Follow up, I had my defective inverter replaced with a new one for free in a reasonable time frame. In my mind problem may have been caused me.
The manual has a startup and shutdown procedure that I did not follow which may have caused DC buss to short out.

Hope that helps to better explain. JJB
Glad they made you whole. These are the steps I take:
D4C5FFF4-388D-4F60-9105-CCC950825107.jpeg

I had same issue with battery short. I purchased from Solar Sovereign and now waiting for RMA approval from Signature Solar. Only mine basically blew up and won’t come on at all anymore. I heard a loud boom in my garage and power went out. Went out and no lights on screen or anything. None of the breakers were thrown. What a huge hassle to have to take apart and package since I don’t have original box and send back then wait for approval and another one to come. And hope that the next unit works correctly. Pretty disappointed and especially when the person who emailed me stated that, “unfortunately they have been slow” in regards to returns. At least that rep via email is responsive. I emailed Signature Solar and heard nothing.

I had same issue with battery short. I purchased from Solar Sovereign and now waiting for RMA approval from Signature Solar. Only mine basically blew up and won’t come on at all anymore. I heard a loud boom in my garage and power went out. Went out and no lights on screen or anything. None of the breakers were thrown. What a huge hassle to have to take apart and package since I don’t have original box and send back then wait for approval and another one to come. And hope that the next unit works correctly. Pretty disappointed and especially when the person who emailed me stated that, “unfortunately they have been slow” in regards to returns. At least that rep via email is responsive. I emailed Signature Solar and heard nothing.
Hey, if you’d like to send me a DM with your name, email and contact at solar sovereign, I will get with the team tomorrow and find out what’s holding it up!

Back