diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

Their 330ah Lithium batteries were $3200/each about 4 months ago and they are now only $1654

Interesting, the BMS (controller) is external, connected by coax (?). Supporting up to 4s5p.
I suppose it has passive balancer, and the controller is able to balance all four batteries in series.

Then the $2400 SCC on top.

I looked at Dexter's site as I'm in the market for a system in the shop. Start adding this and that, it gets up there.
That's if you need four ~420V 18A controllers. Most would go with a couple of 250/100s for $612 each, or the 150/100s for $516. Also gives you partial redundancy in case of a rare failure.

Interesting, the BMS (controller) is external, connected by coax (?). Supporting up to 4s5p.
I suppose it has passive balancer, and the controller is able to balance all four batteries in series.

I believe you need to use the lynx smart BMS at $955 or similar to run those:

Screenshot_20240109_115958_Chrome.jpg

That's if you need four ~420V 18A controllers.

Well of course I would. Compare to the EG4 MPPT 100-48V.

Most would go with a couple of 250/100s for $612 each, or the 150/100s for $516. Also gives you partial redundancy in case of a rare failure.
String voltage not high enough. If I wanted a 250V SCC, I have 4 currently not in use.

I'm always amazed at excuses given. I want to increase capacity, not decrease it. I want high voltage strings over long distance, that = efficiency.

I want the ability to really be able to load up a SCC with large panels, less footprint. I want less wire and smaller wire = less cost.

But I should spend more for a product that will require even more financial input to use it while not having the higher efficiency of a higher voltage string.

Got it. (n)

String voltage not high enough. If I wanted a 250V SCC, I have 4 currently not in use.

I'm always amazed at excuses given. I want to increase capacity, not decrease it. I want high voltage strings over long distance, that = efficiency.

I want the ability to really be able to load up a SCC with large panels, less footprint. I want less wire and smaller wire = less cost.

But I should spend more for a product that will require even more financial input to use it while not having the higher efficiency of a higher voltage string.

Got it. (n)
You can spend $400+shipping on the eg4 or spend more for a Victron scc solution, 150/100 for $516, 250/100 for $612, or RS 450/100 for $1240.

If you want the cheapest scc per watt, Victron isn't the best choice for you.

Got it. (n)
An interesting note I saw recently on Midnite Solar's sizing tool: With MPPT controllers, the higher the input voltage, the less efficient they are. This is not a large value but it will add up to a little more heat in the controller and a point or two less in efficiency. BUT you also have to be careful not to have the input voltage to low.

stop it you freaking enabler! i already have the magnums and my wife is pissed enough for the next six months after this battery purchase!

If my wife got pissed about my last battery purchase, I would have just bought her a set of cubic zirconia earrings and taken her out to dinner at the local buffet restaurant, but luckily she got over it fairly quick, so I was able to put that money into my battery fund for next year's expansion...

You can spend $400+shipping on the eg4 or spend more for a Victron scc solution, 150/100 for $516, 250/100 for $612, or RS 450/100 for $1240.

It's over your head at this point. Read it again. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/v...ody-buy-victron-over-an-aio.68205/post-973271

Maybe it will click, maybe it won't.

If you want the cheapest scc per watt, Victron isn't the best choice for you.
It's more than just the cost per watt, go back and read it for a third time. You are approaching it as a person defending a losing position, I gave several key points which you choose to ignore. Either debate on merit or stop defending your position.

An interesting note I saw recently on Midnite Solar's sizing tool: With MPPT controllers, the higher the input voltage, the less efficient they are. This is not a large value but it will add up to a little more heat in the controller and a point or two less in efficiency. BUT you also have to be careful not to have the input voltage to low.

Higher voltage will run cooler, higher amperage will run higher temp. It's due to the heating of the wire at higher amps. But you are free to believe any misconception you might have.

As for efficiency, go look at this post and get back to me. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/5...-unless-youre-some-kind-of-solar-freak.75746/

Higher voltage will run cooler, higher amperage will run higher temp. It's due to the heating of the wire at higher amps. But you are free to believe any misconception you might have.

As for efficiency, go look at this post and get back to me. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/5...-unless-youre-some-kind-of-solar-freak.75746/
Midnite did say that their lower voltage charge controllers are more efficient than the higher voltage ones. Net efficiency is the whole system is a different thing

It's over your head at this point. Read it again. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/v...ody-buy-victron-over-an-aio.68205/post-973271

Maybe it will click, maybe it won't.

It's more than just the cost per watt, go back and read it for a third time. You are approaching it as a person defending a losing position, I gave several key points which you choose to ignore. Either debate on merit or stop defending your position.
Oh you want to compare an eg4 100A SCC to a Victron 200A SCC ($2400)?

I'll leave you to your trolling have fun now!

Screenshot_20240109_182339_Gallery.jpg

Oh you want to compare an eg4 100A SCC to a Victron 200A SCC ($2400)?

I'll leave you to your trolling have fun now!

View attachment 187920
So you did read the post and maybe comprehend what I wrote?

And this is the response? That I am trolling?

I did look at Victron when Dexter posted the information about the drop in price, I am looking for another system to install in my shop. It doesn't make sense on many levels. Buy this, buy that, need this, need that. Get lower efficiency, higher cost.

If you want to debate on merits of your position, bring it on. But to resort to saying someone is trolling because their position doesn't fit your narrative doesn't really provide useful information for those reading along.

I suggest clicking Zwy profile and clicking ignore like I just did. 1 less troll :) Not worth even a glance at what someone says who is pissed they can't afford blue stuff. Best of luck to them and their Chineseium equipment. I hope it serves them well.

Midnite did say that their lower voltage charge controllers are more efficient than the higher voltage ones. Net efficiency is the whole system is a different thing
On their units it is a result of the dc to dc converter.

With lower string voltage, it will require more components/hardware to process the same amount of power.

Zwy is just a troll, or he is more intelligent than the people at Midnite Solar.....or maybe he thinks he is.

I suggest clicking Zwy profile and clicking ignore like I just did. 1 less troll :) Not worth even a glance at what someone says who is pissed they can't afford blue stuff. Best of luck to them and their Chineseium equipment. I hope it serves them well.
That's a shame you're missing out on lots of good info, I've learned a lot from him since I joined.
I'd bet he could afford much better than blue.

My chinesium equipment has been performing flawlessly as well as many other members.

Is Victron nice? Yes. Is it nice Victron is lowering prices? Yes. Is it nice some chinesiun equipment is already nice with lower prices? Yes.

... Deleted....

Thanks seems like the way to go. Not sure what he was "debating". That Victron stuff costs more than a lot of other options? Was anyone disagreeing?

Victron multiplus prices just dropped?

Perfect timing, glad I held out for my 24/3000 for the 2024 cabin upgrade. It’s gonna be a good year.
Down to $1052 now. I'm not sure on the exact reductions percentage wise, def not the huge cuts most of the SCCs got but welcome nonetheless.

Anything that’s a price reduction is a bonus these days.

This basically makes my lynx power in free.

Thanks seems like the way to go. Not sure what he was "debating". That Victron stuff costs more than a lot of other options? Was anyone disagreeing?
It is more than just the components, it is the infrastructure costs that increase also.

For example, using lower VOC rated SCC's will probably result in paralleling strings using 2 strings of wire instead of one string. Or using larger gauge wire. With a 250VOC rated SCC for my array that is 420 feet away, the cost difference is quite substantial. In my case, it would have cost $2600 for wire with a lower VOC rated SCC. With a higher VOC rated SCC, it cost $600.

There are other items needed, they all add up to the total cost. Doesn't matter what color box.

It is more than just the components, it is the infrastructure costs that increase also.

For example, using lower VOC rated SCC's will probably result in paralleling strings using 2 strings of wire instead of one string. Or using larger gauge wire. With a 250VOC rated SCC for my array that is 420 feet away, the cost difference is quite substantial. In my case, it would have cost $2600 for wire with a lower VOC rated SCC. With a higher VOC rated SCC, it cost $600.

There are other items needed, they all add up to the total cost. Doesn't matter what color box.
Yea man.. the price can add up , but , when you get a lot of things hooked up ,all the different displays and blinking lights ,..,..are a blast to watch…
It seems as I age it becomes easier to amuse myself….
J.

Yea man.. the price can add up ,

I am amazed that some can not grasp the concept of how the choice of components can have a huge effect on system efficiency, infrastructure costs and overall system ROI.

I'd rather take the $2K I mentioned in my example above and buy another pallet of 370W panels. That was just the cost difference for wire, never mind additional items that would have been needed with poor planning.

but , when you get a lot of things hooked up ,all the different displays and blinking lights ,..,..are a blast to watch…
It seems as I age it becomes easier to amuse myself….
J.
It's even better when you can expand on your system because you planned it correctly and become energy self sufficient.

diy solar

diy solar
Back