diy solar

diy solar

(4) EG4 6500ex inverter install

Oldtimmer69

Solar Enthusiast
This is my build thread now. Will update as i go and will ask my questions as well. Thanks in advance.

I have 4- eg4 6500ex inverters i want to install split phase to run my entire home. I understand how to connect 2 of these in split phase but not 4. Manual doesn't show the ac connection. Gives me my max input and output.

Would i use a 200amp sub-panel box with 2- double pole 60amp breakers and run each line from the inverters to them?
I now have this worked out. Just a mater of setting everything up

Last edited:
I have 4- eg4 6500ex inverters i want to install split phase to run my entire home. I understand how to connect 2 of these in split phase but not 4. Manual doesn't show the ac connection. Gives me my max input and output.

Would i use a 200amp sub-panel box with 2- double pole 60amp breakers and run each line from the inverters to them? Would it mater which line in went where on the breakers? Then this box would feed my main house panel?
@BenFromSignatureSolar
I see you commented on another thread as well and it looks like you're getting your answers there.

I see you commented on another thread as well and it looks like you're getting your answers there.
Im still not sure how to connect 4 hot lines (one from each inverter) into 2 lines to feed the panel.
Just reverse the process if i was trying to feed a sub-panel that had 4-60amp breakers

@Gavin Stone i dont have enough space in my electric room to put 3 of those eg4 racks, can i pull the batteries out and put the on there sides? I could build a rack to put them in 2 rows of 9 and they would fit nicely.
If not i could stack them in sets of 4 but the 12" jumpers are too short then to reach the bus bars. I could either daisy chain them together then to the bus bar then hook bus bars together. Or i need to make longer jumpers for all batteries.

@Gavin Stone i dont have enough space in my electric room to put 3 of those eg4 racks, can i pull the batteries out and put the on there sides? I could build a rack to put them in 2 rows of 9 and they would fit nicely.
If not i could stack them in sets of 4 but the 12" jumpers are too short then to reach the bus bars. I could either daisy chain them together then to the bus bar then hook bus bars together. Or i need to make longer jumpers for all batteries.
The racks can technically stack on top of each other. Granted, the initial install is much harder that way. Otherwise yes the batteries can I believe stack any which way except upside down. The problem is balancing them them voltage wise. Unless they have a central bus bar and equal cable length you’ll have current sharing issues most likely. That’s why the cabinets are nice to use with their large bus bars.

The racks can technically stack on top of each other. Granted, the initial install is much harder that way. Otherwise yes the batteries can I believe stack any which way except upside down. The problem is balancing them them voltage wise. Unless they have a central bus bar and equal cable length you’ll have current sharing issues most likely. That’s why the cabinets are nice to use with their large bus bars.
I was going to use 600v bus bars for each set of 9 batteries. Signature solar sells them but they are only 18" long. I cant find any 36" bus bars like they have. I did find some 24" that say 2700v but im not to confident on that rating at $79.00. I was going to use the same length wire for all connections from batteries to bus bars then from bus bars to bus bars, then bus bars to inverters i can kinda keep stuff under the inverters if stacking 4 high. I was just reading not to daisy chain them together for the high amp draw. Im sure when i have everything going at once its probably pretty high. I'll turn everything on today just to see what im pulling amp wise.

For hooking up AC In, you need a 60A breaker per unit. So (2) 60A 2 pole breakers would work. I opted for 1 pole breakers (SquareD makes a 60A QO 1P breaker) so I could shut off one unit by itself if desired.
What panel did you use for this? And you have a separate loads panel?

Are these any good says 300amp?
Or is it better to use polaris splices?

Attachments

• 20230404_163048.jpg
    20230404_163048.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
Are these any good says 300amp?
Or is it better to use polaris splices?
Im not sure what you mean by that. You definitely need a busbar with the system you’re installing. 300 amps just meets the requirement for these inverters with just a little headroom.

Here's the game plan. Bus bars on each side of battery stacks then tide to the smaller bus bars over each stack. 36" 4/0 cable to all. Then can i use 2/0 cable to the bus bars from the inverters or do i need 4/0 on everything?

The reason i asked if they were any good is $40 from Amazon and i don't know what there made of 3/16" thick. I see people knocking them. I could buy 2 more sets of the bigger ones they are $80 and 600amp rated.

I guess i just answered my question.. I have 4-sets of 400amp batteries those little one won't work if there only 300amp

Should have my 4th inverter by Friday.

Attachments

• 20230404_174009.jpg
    20230404_174009.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230404_174022.jpg
    20230404_174022.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230404_174126.jpg
    20230404_174126.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Here's the game plan. Bus bars on each side of battery stacks then tide to the smaller bus bars over each stack. 36" 4/0 cable to all. Then can i use 2/0 cable to the bus bars from the inverters or do i need 4/0 on everything?

The reason i asked if they were any good is $40 from Amazon and i don't know what there made of 3/16" thick. I see people knocking them. I could buy 2 more sets of the bigger ones they are $80 and 600amp rated.

I guess i just answered my question.. I have 4-sets of 400amp batteries those little one won't work if there only 300amp

Should have my 4th inverter by Friday.
Current connected has 300 amp bars. That’s what I have my whole system on. I love those little things.

Also, the AH rating of the batteries doesn’t matter. It’s based off the total amperage of your inverters. So are you looking for something to use as a hub between 4 inverters?

The inverters have to be connected to the bank in the same way. They can’t have individual battery banks per inverter. The cell voltage will be all over the place. They have to share a common bus bar at some point to disperse the amperage evenly.

All hooked together was going to tie all pos together with those bus bars in between each group of batteries, and all negs together

All hooked together was going to tie all pos together with those bus bars in between each group of batteries, and all negs together
Maybe I’m just not picturing what you’re doing. But whatever batteries you have need to come to one central point. And that point has to be able to take over 520 amps. Then it goes from there to each inverter. I would draw something, but I’m not feeling energetic enough.

Back