diy solar

diy solar

5 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

Everything in the house.
Deep well pump, Electric Dryer, Electric Oven, Air compressor, mini split, fridge, deep freeze, etc. I need to an an electric water heater and get rid of the oil fired.
I need to get the ASPs online so I don't have to worry about overloading the ASF.
Nice you probably have more batteries to keep up I try the dryer with one battery and it switch to utility I will try it again with two batteries and see how it goes.
Everything in the house.
Deep well pump, Electric Dryer, Electric Oven, Air compressor, mini split, fridge, deep freeze, etc. I need to an an electric water heater and get rid of the oil fired.
I need to get the ASPs online so I don't have to worry about overloading the ASF.
does it take a lot of amp to charge the batteries from grid

Nice you probably have more batteries to keep up I try the dryer with one battery and it switch to utility I will try it again with two batteries and see how it goes.
3 packs in parallel, ~39KWh.
If you're using server rack batteries, 2 should handle it but you'll be pushing them.
does it take a lot of amp to charge the batteries from grid
It depends. You can adjust grid charging current with setting 28. I try to use as little as possible unless a bad winter storm is coming.

If you're using server rack batteries, 2 should handle it but you'll be pushing them.

It depends. You can adjust grid charging current with setting 28. I try to use as little as possible unless a bad winter storm is coming.
I just have the two power walls 5,2 kw 100ah

I didn't connect the Elect Dryer until I had about 30kWh of storage, didn't want that one appliance to empty the ESS and leave everything else short.
That said, somehow the Dryer operation has morphed into a daytime thing, and not from me asking for this! Using a big load like the elect dryer during the day, can mean when the sun goes down the batteries are full 100% and the dryer is off for the night. In that case smaller battery pack will work fine as long as the normal night time loads are less than the battery capacity.

I didn't connect the Elect Dryer until I had about 30kWh of storage, didn't want that one appliance to empty the ESS and leave everything else short.
That said, somehow the Dryer operation has morphed into a daytime thing, and not from me asking for this! Using a big load like the elect dryer during the day, can mean when the sun goes down the batteries are full 100% and the dryer is off for the night. In that case smaller battery pack will work fine as long as the normal night time loads are less than the battery capacity.
Any laundry, using the dryer or dishwasher is all done during the day here. Mini splits run all night though.

Nice, I do run my pool pump at 11am till 5:30 pm it works great batteries are full charge, I will try the dryer to see if it works.

got my last 10 panels up on the roof. 12.6kW array total now with 6.8kW going to the SRNE. 160kWh so far in 17 days. Might take me awhile to catch up to you megawatters... 😁
You'll be at a megawatt before you know it. Once you realize the potential power you have you'll find more loads to run, at least I did.
Or a Bad SPRING storm is coming - feeling like you guys didn't want us Canucks left out of all the fun - wicked winds hail and heavy rains today! what the heck!
Hope you don't have any damage.

Except for a couple of clear days, it's been nothing more then rain, thunderstorms and high winds for the last 3 weeks over here... sigh... makes it so hard to do anything outside when it's all mud and boggy everywhere I need to do some work.

All I can say is stay safe out there while working away on your solar stuff!

Or a Bad SPRING storm is coming - feeling like you guys didn't want us Canucks left out of all the fun - wicked winds hail and heavy rains today! what the heck!
It storms/rains here but then the sun shines the rest of the day. I should just get my SRNE inverters and battery done first, then run power from the house to the shop and use the Chargeverter to charge the shop battery bank. House system is usually charged before noon every day.

I'm glad I ordered the inverters and have them here. One, the price is $420 each higher now and two, it allows me to come up with an idea on where this setup is going.

I have a surprise on how I'm mounting the inverters, I just measured up some things this morning and think it will work nicely. Wall space in the shop is at a premium, thus it required some out of the box ideas.

You'll be at a megawatt before you know it. Once you realize the potential power you have you'll find more loads to run, at least I did.
Yeah, I am already running the AC a bit cooler than I like just to use more power. The batteries topped off at 11:30am, so now the solar is just staying in line with the load.

My first gripe with the unit happened this morning. I hooked up the second string to MPPT 2 and I didn't realize that inputs are + - - + I hooked the lines up backwards and it wouldn't work (duh). Fortunately, I did it early and there wasn't enough power to damage the MPPT. I can only be mad at myself I guess because RTFM...

Yeah, I am already running the AC a bit cooler than I like just to use more power. The batteries topped off at 11:30am, so now the solar is just staying in line with the load.
Ha, I set the minisplit to cold last month and had to flip to heat for a bit when I got home from work; free power problems 😂
My first gripe with the unit happened this morning. I hooked up the second string to MPPT 2 and I didn't realize that inputs are + - - + I hooked the lines up backwards and it wouldn't work (duh). Fortunately, I did it early and there wasn't enough power to damage the MPPT. I can only be mad at myself I guess because RTFM...
I wonder if that means it has reverse polarity protection?
I liked they made the inputs like that keeping the +/- of each mppt away from each other.
Did you check the factory connections? One complaint I had when I got the ASPs was that I was able to tighten the factory connections down a bit more.

No damage on my place or the Solar PV system, just a crap load of rain in a couple days.

I have a surprise on how I'm mounting the inverters, I just measured up some things this morning and think it will work nicely. Wall space in the shop is at a premium, thus it required some out of the box ideas.
WELL, don't leave us hanging here in the wind...show and tell ! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:
No damage on my place or the Solar PV system, just a crap load of rain in a couple days.

That's good, makes for work that eats up time that could spent on better things in life.
WELL, don't leave us hanging here in the wind...show and tell ! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
It will be some time before the reveal, I promise you won't be disappointed. :)

The good news- I just might get the 2 poles set for the shop array this weekend and call the redi mix truck Monday. I ran a test hole down 9.5 feet on Sunday a little distance away from array location and it didn't cave in on the sides. Down about 5 feet it turns to more sand than clay. Even rained a few days this week and it held up.

No water in the bottom of the hole as of today (Thursday) I would have thought with all the rain it might be wet down there. When I did the 7.5 feet deep holes for the other array, one had 2 foot of water at the bottom the next day.

No rain in the forecast, possible very light shower on Saturday but this is what I have been waiting for.

It will be some time before the reveal, I promise you won't be disappointed. :)
A cliff hanger !!!
Darn it! :ROFLMAO:
Now get off the forum and get to work so we can see what your talking about with the 'out of the box' install you got in mind.
Inquiring minds Need to know! LOL.

A cliff hanger !!!
Darn it! :ROFLMAO:
Now get off the forum and get to work so we can see what your talking about with the 'out of the box' install you got in mind.

You just gave me the idea for the title of the YouTube video I will create showing it.

"Out of The Box Install"

It will be quite fitting. :ROFLMAO:

Inquiring minds Need to know! LOL.
I move pretty slow, heck it took over 2 years to finally get the mini split installed in the camper. I just did a video about how long I could run just off batteries compared to the roof air. About 60% longer run time and it might be more.

I am here in Saint cloud Florida, and it was a bad hail storm dented both vehicles. Lucky no damage to the panels. You can see the hail bouncing

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 9

Hi 420! You said you have 3 packs in parallel for total 39kwh and it runs your whole house. What type are they. I have the 2 sungold 5.12kwh and it barely keep up with just the ac, 2 refrigerator, water heater and washer. And that is only running from 11:00 am batteries are charged to 6 pm batteries are dead. I am adding a 3rd battery soon for a total of 15.36 kWh.. today is 11:53 am batteries are only at 50% charge systems is running solar and battery but not charging, I guess not enough power to do all three?. Question can I add a second mppt with 6 - 315 watts panels just to charge the batteries at all times. I have 6 new panels I purchased before I went with a larger system will just have to by a mppt let me know. Or if their is a better battery pack.

I agree, i run the pool pump while the sun is out till 5:30pm. Question what battery system do you have. I have the sungold 5.12kwh 100h pack 2 of them and I am about to add. 3rd pack but is only 15.30 kWh I will have to get 6 pack just to be at 30kwh. It barely keep up with my 5 items ac, water heater, washer, pool pump and 2 refrigerator. Ac and refrigerator runs all the time but the rest I have to control while the sun is out..

Hi 420! You said you have 3 packs in parallel for total 39kwh and it runs your whole house. What type are they. I have the 2 sungold 5.12kwh and it barely keep up with just the ac, 2 refrigerator, water heater and washer. And that is only running from 11:00 am batteries are charged to 6 pm batteries are dead. I am adding a 3rd battery soon for a total of 15.36 kWh.. today is 11:53 am batteries are only at 50% charge systems is running solar and battery but not charging, I guess not enough power to do all three?. Question can I add a second mppt with 6 - 315 watts panels just to charge the batteries at all times. I have 6 new panels I purchased before I went with a larger system will just have to by a mppt let me know. Or if their is a better battery pack.
How many of the srne mppt inputs are you currently using? Voc of panels?

How many of the srne mppt inputs are you currently using? Voc of panels?
I have 4 string of 7 panel total 28 into a 4/2 combiner box, I am using both mppt here is the panel specs.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 7
Now I see, the srne only has 2 mppt inputs with each having 2 strings of 7 already connected, but you have an extra 6 unused panels. Could add 1 panel to each string and stay below the 500v max, but if you see cold weather 480v puts Voc over the 425vdc mppt range, and darn close to the 500v max. With 2 strings combined mppt input is already near the 22amp max and adding another string of 7 to one of the mppt inputs would probably see quite a bit of clipping on a sunny day.

You already have 10kw of panels. Me thinks you simply need more battery.

I wonder, since you are battery capacity limited, how would this system operate with some of the panels facing different directions? East facing panels to get the batteries started charging as early as possible. South facing array to get max solar production. West facing array to give the batteries their last feeding.

Hi 420! You said you have 3 packs in parallel for total 39kwh and it runs your whole house. What type are they.
DIY of course. 2 EVE LF230, 1 Envision 305AH. Ignore the 80% soc on pack 2. I've been messing with BMS settings, again...
I'm adding another 280AH pack soon.
I have the 2 sungold 5.12kwh and it barely keep up with just the ac, 2 refrigerator, water heater and washer. And that is only running from 11:00 am batteries are charged to 6 pm batteries are dead. I am adding a 3rd battery soon for a total of 15.36 kWh.. today is 11:53 am batteries are only at 50% charge systems is running solar and battery but not charging, I guess not enough power to do all three?.
I would agree, not enough. 1 of my EVE packs is more than both your wall mounts.
Question can I add a second mppt with 6 - 315 watts panels just to charge the batteries at all times. I have 6 new panels I purchased before I went with a larger system will just have to by a mppt let me know.
Edit - I see your using both. Look at @Kornbread s advice above.

If your not using your 2nd MPPT, absolutely. I'd run a 6S string.
Currently I'm 9s2p with 315W panels to one mppt, 7s2p to the othet.
Or if their is a better battery pack.
DIY, you'll save lots of money too, under ~$1500 for 16 REPT 280 a BMS and Class T fuse.

Photo attached of how things sit currently, I really need get those ASPs fired up; its just to nice outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20240609_124506.jpg
    IMG_20240609_124506.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240609_125252.jpg
    IMG_20240609_125252.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 12

diy solar

diy solar
Back