diy solar

diy solar

First time Signature Solar Customer Review

d0u8l3m

Crazy Engineer
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker here, but I've been gearing up to start my DIY solar journey for a while and the sales that SS have been having finally got me to pull the trigger on a big order.

So, I ordered a pallet of 30 400W Canadian Solar panels as well as a partial pallet of 10 so, 40 total. The partial pallet came in fine no damage or issues. The larger full pallet however was pretty badly damaged by a forklift on mainly one side of it. 4 panels were damaged two totally mangled and shattered and two were badly bent and had pressure markings where the force impacted and went through to them on the backside of the glass. Another was slightly bent but not to the point it was that noticeable/that I wouldn't feel confident in using it.

So, I email SS a bunch of pictures and go through their claim process, no issues at all! They ask me if I'm sure I want to risk a partial shipment of just 4 panels rather than a credit and I said yes so, they promptly shipped out another 4 panels.

Here's where this gets funny for me and why I decided to write this. I get the 4 replacement panels today. It was raining so I was rushing to get them off the pallet and inside for storage until I'm ready to mount them.

As I'm stacking the 3rd one I'm thinking to myself hey these look different, and I noticed that the frame extrusion pattern was different. Plus, the frame is black but they didn't look "stealthy" (white substrate vs black). I go to look at the sticker on the back and damn I'm right they are different. They sent 4 300W Hyanudai panels instead of the Canadian ones.

So now I'm like dang it this is going to be a process now, and quickly email the claim email that we have been going back and forth on with a picture of the label.

They immediately apologized and are setting up a new replacement order for me with the correct 4 replacement panels. It was this line in their email however that I literally laughed out loud at, and I quote:

"you can do what you want with the 300w panels. (might even try selling them on ebay or marketplace)."

Obviously, I would have no issue working with them to get the incorrect panels returned to them, but this to me shows that there are real people there that can relate to things like this from a customer perspective. I'm a small guy so just not having to deal with getting them back on the pallet, loaded onto a truck, take time off to be home for a truck to get them etc, just makes this mistake truly a "no big deal" situation.

So big kudos and thanks to the Signature Solar team, and I look forward to being a continued customer in the foreseeable future!

That's a good review. I also had good luck with them when I ordered my eg4 battery rack with 6 eg4 LL batteries and 21 panels. No issues at all. shipped on time with no damage.

I'll be ordering the EG4 18kpv, eg4powerpro ess 14.3kwh battery, pallet of panels and 9k minisplit soon. They are just sitting in my cart on their website right now. I don't want to order them yet because there is no determined ship date on some of the items.

Maybe if somebody at SS could help me out so if I bought them now they can ship early November when I'm in town to fork them of the freight truck, I'd probably just buy it all right now, but I know customer service department is a little difficult to get a hold of.

That's a good review. I also had good luck with them when I ordered my eg4 battery rack with 6 eg4 LL batteries and 21 panels. No issues at all. shipped on time with no damage.

I'll be ordering the EG4 18kpv, eg4powerpro ess 14.3kwh battery, pallet of panels and 9k minisplit soon. They are just sitting in my cart on their website right now. I don't want to order them yet because there is no determined ship date on some of the items.

Maybe if somebody at SS could help me out so if I bought them now they can ship early November when I'm in town to fork them of the freight truck, I'd probably just buy it all right now, but I know customer service department is a little difficult to get a hold of.
@BenFromSignatureSolar - is it possible to order things now and have things shipped at a certain date? It's really the only thing holding me back.

Seem packaging for shipping is real issue with SS. Loads of posts about damaged shippments. If close to point of shipping, or you like acrosd trip, Id go pick up the components. If you have the time, gas might be chesper yhan shipping costs.

Seem packaging for shipping is real issue with SS. Loads of posts about damaged shippments. If close to point of shipping, or you like acrosd trip, Id go pick up the components. If you have the time, gas might be chesper yhan shipping costs.
Well, the damage to the full pallet wasn't SS fault, the shipment of the 4 wrong panels, absolutely. It just kills me hearing that a pallet of panels would get so much damage from a forklift. It seems more common that it should be. I operated large forklifts for years and feel that unless you're an idiot you should be able to become fairly proficient at operating one in short order. Rant over.
Anyway, good to hear positive reviews for SS. I wish then continued success.

Did you happened to order the LL battery rack from them? Mine is on "backorder" till mid to late Oct due to the buss bar.

I also got the 30 pallet of the same panels and lost one due to shipping. Looked like impact on the last one with the glass side toward the cardboard.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Did you happened to order the LL battery rack from them? Mine is on "backorder" till mid to late Oct due to the buss bar.

I also got the 30 pallet of the same panels and lost one due to shipping. Looked like impact on the last one with the glass side toward the cardboard.

No I'm building my own batteries and have a 12k inverter already, I only got the panels from them.

The panels are super nice l, and I like that they have that reinforcement bar in the middle. Sucks that shippers are having so many issues, the forklift driver on my order clearly hadn't a clue what he was doing. Thanks I'll hopefully be posting a build log when things are further along.

No I'm building my own batteries and have a 12k inverter already, I only got the panels from them.

The panels are super nice l, and I like that they have that reinforcement bar in the middle. Sucks that shippers are having so many issues, the forklift driver on my order clearly hadn't a clue what he was doing. Thanks I'll hopefully be posting a build log when things are further along.
I have always requested a liftgate truck because I didn't have access to a loading dock. The truckdrivers usually are masters with a pallet jack on those trucks.

I don't know how you protect against freight companies who have forklift operators who don't care about how they handle pallets and have no ramifications for damaging them.

I have three on back order. They didn’t tell me the reason, but said it was about a month out.

I got two stories from two people. First was to "Upgrade the cabinets - waiting on parts" second was they did not have the buss bars to finish the cabinets. Could be same thing?

I got two stories from two people. First was to "Upgrade the cabinets - waiting on parts" second was they did not have the buss bars to finish the cabinets. Could be same thing?
Probably waiting on parts for the bus bars or just the bar as a part.

I would think either is acceptable, just don’t want it to be delayed too long.

I don't know how you protect against freight companies who have forklift operators who don't care about how they handle pallets and have no ramifications for damaging them.

Seems to be a deeper problem with just freight company culture or something. I finally got the correct 4 panels, but the cone they put on top to show if something was dropped on it was very crushed like someone stepped on it on purpose or something.

I didn't see any broken glass but as per SS delivery rules I asked the driver to note it on the ticket.....this friggin guy started yelling at me about how the cone is not a part of the package and almost threatened me saying "don't start that" and got in my face (I'm 5' 3" but buddy I don't tolerate that crap) So I yelled back and told him to gtfo before I trespass him.

Then I call the shipper R&L Freight and the manager literally did not care. I wanted to file a formal complaint and got nowhere, they have ZERO accountability. Next time a driver threatens me like that screw it I'm suing the shipper. The way the world is going man, why do people not care anymore?

Whatever this ordeal is over at least since the panels were undamaged. Overall SS did their job, but dam do freight companies today suck.

I don't know how you protect against freight companies who have forklift operators who don't care about how they handle pallets
Band a sheet of plywood on each side of the panels pallet. A sheet is $30, so for $60 you save the hassle, headache and time wasted by dealing with damage. This is how we are doing things at CurrentConnected and have an insanely low damage rate compared to what we hear on this forum.

Band a sheet of plywood on each side of the panels pallet. A sheet is $30, so for $60 you save the hassle, headache and time wasted by dealing with damage. This is how we are doing things at CurrentConnected and have an insanely low damage rate compared to what we hear on this forum.
Are you doing anything special with the pallets themselves? I ordered a pallet of 480W panels (not from SS) that had the end of the pallet itself torn off so that end of the panels weren't supported that well.

Are you doing anything special with the pallets themselves? I ordered a pallet of 480W panels (not from SS) that had the end of the pallet itself torn off so that end of the panels weren't supported that well.
The pallet in question. Had to put some wood to brace the end.. freight company or somebody even had to add another pallet under just the center part because the long one supporting entire panel length was torn up too much.
3CF61968-05EC-4C21-8FB4-314979B279C2.jpeg

Back