diy solar

diy solar

Growatt N-G confusion

So would I just use a romex clamp on each leg or would it need to be ran through conduit? Also are two conductor ls allowed in each screw clamp (lack of actual name) on the back of the socket or is there another way I would split off each leg?

So would I just use a romex clamp on each leg or would it need to be ran through conduit? Also are two conductor ls allowed in each screw clamp (lack of actual name) on the back of the socket or is there another way I would split off each leg?
The terminals on that receptacle are not rated for multiple conductors. You will have to make joints in the box. Or in a separate box, so that your not cramming everything in one box.

Figured, so I will just add a another two gang box and run pig tails off the main feed and split between the 220 socket and my new separate 120 feeds. Trying to picture it in my head what it would look like when I'm done

Another option is to use that feeder to feed a small (4 circuit) sub panel. Put a 30a two pole breaker in it to feed the dryer and the other two spots can feed the inverters.

I like that idea, so the double poll feeding the outlet now would be the main breaker that feeds the sub-panel? The existing breaker is a double pill 30 now so is it okay to feed a sub-panel with a double poll 30 that then split into another double poll 30 plus two additional 15 amp singles?

I like that idea, so the double poll feeding the outlet now would be the main breaker that feeds the sub-panel? The existing breaker is a double pill 30 now so is it okay to feed a sub-panel with a double poll 30 that then split into another double poll 30 plus two additional 15 amp singles?
Yes, but you still have to not run both at the same time.

I was going to have an electrician install a whole house transfer switch but the cost is way to high for me to afford, a couple electricians won't even touch it to add any sort of switch or interlock, apparently having a split buss panel makes things more complicated for everything, I will include pictures for your viewing pleasure (ignore the N-G bond, it's technically my subpanel.

Attachments

• 20230211_220048.jpg
    20230211_220048.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230211_215346.jpg
    20230211_215346.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230211_215337.jpg
    20230211_215337.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230211_215304.jpg
    20230211_215304.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230211_215253.jpg
    20230211_215253.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230211_215241.jpg
    20230211_215241.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230211_215233.jpg
    20230211_215233.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 6
This just tells me that they're not very experienced.
Any time I was asked to add a generator input to a house panel. I was very happy to see a split buss panel. Because it made everything easier.
A split buss panel is like having a sub panel already built in.
If it was an outdoor panel, even better.
An outdoor split buss panel meant that it was only going to be about a half hour long job. I would show up with the inlet receptacle already mounted and wired into the transfer switch. Along with the nipple and wiring for the panel. Drill one hole in the panel, mount the transfer switch, and connect the 6 wires.

This just tells me that they're not very experienced.

Any time I was asked to add a generator input to a house panel. I was very happy to see a split buss panel. Because it made everything easier.

A split buss panel is like having a sub panel already built in.

If it was an outdoor panel, even better.

An outdoor split buss panel meant that it was only going to be about a half hour long job. I would show up with the inlet receptacle already mounted and wired into the transfer switch. Along with the nipple and wiring for the panel. Drill one hole in the panel, mount the transfer switch, and connect the 6 wires.

I have watched several videos on split bus but to make mine work with an interlock kit I would need to move two of my 120 volt breakers to the top bus so that it would free up room for a double poll on the bottom bus so that I could install an interlock kit, I'm not sure how I would get from the outside panel into this panel so that a whole house transfer switch could be installed, I think what was done in the 80's what the panel in Pic was the main panel, when the detached garage was built they added another panel outside so feed the garage. A/C, well pump and something else I can't remember now, the panel inside the house is directly behind the outside panel and a piece of conduit was used to connect them together, I'm not sure if there is room to run more wire through that conduit to get connections made onto the inside the house panel or not. I think an interlock would be the easiest but since a code change in 1981 I don't think I can have single poll breakers on the top bus

You already have 2 single pole breakers on the top buss. Which is fine because it's still 6 throws or less.
Which should not matter because it's now a sub panel, right?
Anyway, to make room, you only need piggyback breakers.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. My mistake.
That's a dangerous animal You have there.
But, if it's now a sub panel from the garage panel.
I would just replace the whole panel.
The newer backup panels are designed with a split buss setup and interlock included. Makes it really nice for a generator or inverter backup system.

You are absolutely correct. My mistake.

That's a dangerous animal You have there.

But, if it's now a sub panel from the garage panel.

I would just replace the whole panel.

The newer backup panels are designed with a split buss setup and interlock included. Makes it really nice for a generator or inverter backup system.

Back