diy solar

diy solar

Nothing like planning everything out or thinking your set to have it turned upside down

Truth is, we have seen 44C (111F) in July, but it does normally cool off every night, at least enought to bring the house down to a comfortable level for most of the next day. Typical wall insulation around here is R-32 and many homes have R-70 attic insulation. which sure seems to help even things out.
111F that’s amazing… wow…. thats almost the temp I use when doing Sous Vide steaks…

Sorry, I just gotta say, all this talk about A/C all the time, it's seems so strange, just open the windows at night, let the house cool, and next morning as the sun comes out, close the windows again. Repeat daily...
One of the (few) benefits of living a bit further north I guess!? (just joking around, couldn't resist!)
But then you're an icicle for 4 or 5 months. I can't deal with that. Been there or at least the frozen north of the lower 48. I'll take the heat and stuff like picking tomatoes last Christmas Eve.

All that ice and snow has obviously impaired you. :ROFLMAO:
LOL! no doubt! like permanent brain-freeze!
But actually the winters here are mild - I worked across the Canadian Arctic for a number of years, and saw real cold, so came to appreciate the mild winters further South (and by "South" I mean down here near the US Northern border)
I will say the short daylight does provide an excuse to go inside and have a beverage early during the winter months. The darn 18 hour days right now are killing my back, hate to waste the daylight, but wow do I feel it these days.

I’m 45N, but I’m looking at property not that far from you (NW AR). Hopefully I’ll be your neighbor in the not to do the distance future. I’ve had enough of winter.
...And in about a year after that move, Danke will be on the forum: "I've had enough of A/C units! too much heat! I am not used to this!" LOL!

...And in about a year after that move, Danke will be on the forum: "I've had enough of A/C units! too much heat! I am not used to this!" LOL!
In my youth, I’d be outside all the time in the winter, playing ice hockey, etc.

Now I’m mostly indoors during the winter, except when I have to shovel snow.

I think I could spend a few months of the year indoors down south during the summer…

I think I could spend a few months of the year indoors down south during the summer…
Or do like a zillion of my country-men and have a place in Arizona for the winter (to avoid the cold), then go north for the summer (to avoid the heat) LOL.
I hear ya, the winter's are getting milder with more snow it seems, and moving all that snow seems so pointless knowing it is going to just melt anyway...

I’m 45N, but I’m looking at property not that far from you (NW AR). Hopefully I’ll be your neighbor in the not to do the distance future. I’ve had enough of winter.
NW AR is beautiful. Fast growing area, especially around Fayetteville. My daughter is north central. Both still too cold for me!

My friend already moved down there. He says he gets strange looks wearing a T-shirt when it’s in the 40°s outside.
That was the funny thing about different areas effecting people differently. One of my wife's relatives from Minnesota had issues with Alabama's winter weather which was wild. He wears short sleeve t-shirts up north when shoveling snow at sub freezing temps but when he comes here he freezes at 40 to 50 degrees. Seems to be a humidity thing. According to him their humidity is very low during the winter and down here it can run in the 90% humidity range in the winter a good bit of the time.

That was the funny thing about different areas effecting people differently. One of my wife's relatives from Minnesota had issues with Alabama's winter weather which was wild. He wears short sleeve t-shirts up north when shoveling snow at sub freezing temps but when he comes here he freezes at 40 to 50 degrees. Seems to be a humidity thing. According to him their humidity is very low during the winter and down here it can run in the 90% humidity range in the winter a good bit of the time.
My wife moved here from Wi about 25 years ago. Yeah, I had to go that far to find a woman that didn't know my reputation. Anyway, when I would go visit her before she moved I would have on every piece of clothing from my suitcase and still freezing and she would be in a light jacket unzipped in below zero. Fast forward to a couple years after she moved here and she's like the rest of us - put on a coat when it hits 50 degrees. Stepson moved down to Galveston and now he's the same way. Some people get acclimated. I could never get acclimated to the serious cold and I tried. Just can't do it.

That is so true… I used to love to work outside when it was totally freezing … and windy…I didn’t feel anything…
Now I put on a down vest to watch Jerimiah Johnson on a DVD Once a year to remember good times……

Unless you are permanently moving in the grand daughter it also does not make sense to alter things all that much.

2. I have noticed this also. Partly in my area there is not a lot of young folks but the few that are around do not seem to want to do odd jobs for a spot of cash. Not like when I was a kid and desperate to make some money so that I could buy things (like a new fishing rod, bicycle, used car (when slightly older) and such). Maybe kids today are all rich.
Haa .. I used to cut all my kinfolks yards with a push mower for 2 dollars each ..each yard took an hour or more…thought I was lucky getting that much…saved up and bought my first car for 150 dollars ..it ran great up to about 45 mph …by 16 I finally got a GF… finally got some ..finally got a job at KFC.. 70 cents per hour…..I was rollin…finally figured out how to do stuff…. It’s called thinking , planning and work…
people today don’t have to hustle ..they sit home and get stuff for nothin and still bitch about how unfair life is to them. Parents in the last 30 years caused all of this ….they wanted their kids to have it better than they did …haaaa , hard work is what made you succeed , not being given stuff…..Duuhhhh ..

Last edited:
Thanks!

Heating TypePump

That's good, some have resistance heat.
Only heats with outside temperature 30F or above, consistent with heat pump. OK in my case, mild climate and central gas furnace too.
This would let me heat a small living area rather than entire house, and use banked PV power.

Inverter drive, no mention of power factor. May meet my needs on-grid but not offgrid (backup) if it upsets my inverters.

"Saddle", that's the name for this configuration.

Last edited:
That's good, some have resistance heat.
Only heats with outside temperature 30F or above, consistent with heat pump. OK in my case, mild climate and central gas furnace too.
This would let me heat a small living area rather than entire house, and use banked PV power.

Inverter drive, no mention of power factor. May meet my needs on-grid but not offgrid (backup) if it upsets my inverters.

"Saddle", that's the name for this configuration.
This is an interesting configuration. I wonder how long it will be until there's a true heat pump similar to mini split in this config, if there isn't one already.

Might want to try a big exhaust fan for the attic to at least bring down the overall temperature. As for the height, how about renting a snorkel lift for a few days? The mini-split is the way to go if you want to be able to keep the space comfortable in the summer.

I hear you on many of the accounts-- too big of a house (but we love it), in-laws drive up energy use, and want more PV.

Sorry, I just gotta say, all this talk about A/C all the time, it's seems so strange, just open the windows at night, let the house cool, and next morning as the sun comes out, close the windows again. Repeat daily...
One of the (few) benefits of living a bit further north I guess!? (just joking around, couldn't resist!)
Even in NH it doesn’t work that well.

Most of May and early June we thought summer heat would never come, super dry and cool at night.

Ever since mid June we’ve had humidity levels 60-99% with temps never dropping lower than mid 60s. AC isn’t all about cooling it’s also about sucking moisture out of the air. I run our mini splits on dry and low fan way more that on cool. I’ll let the temps claim in the house to mid 70s but with dry air it’s very very comfy.

Back