diy solar

diy solar

Solar has been hijacked/co opted. A wakeup?

Years ago, I put up a bunch of glass panels, on alum frames, collecting sunshine, no taxes apply - it's called a greenhouse.
Now putting up glass panels on alum frames, collecting sunshine, connected to wires, no taxes will apply. No knock on the door will come.
Living out in the sticks is the best!
Agree and I may be headed there.....we'll see...

The point of my solar is to have power when the grid fails. It's a bonus if I become less dependent on the man along the way.

One of my neighbors asked about my solar panels, and when I explained it was mostly for a backup he asked, "how long for that to pay for itself?" And I asked how long before his gas generator would pay for itself.
My neighbor ask the same question. I had to inform him the stuff I currently have already paid for itself. The first time my water pipes did not freeze, well worked, frig, and freezer even had internet for the entire time.

thought it looked fine for dry summer conditions, but would be a total disaster for snow and ice conditions
What difference does that make?
The extra weight would help anyways. And a smart person could probably regulate ABS for AWD if they wanted.

What difference does that make?
The extra weight would help anyways. And a smart person could probably regulate ABS for AWD if they wanted.
If the front is powered by an engine, and the rear powered by electric motors, I expect we are going to have trouble keeping the two systems completely in sync, even if the electronics could keep track of the exact RPM of the front and rear, tire diameters don't stay exactly the same over time. Ultimately if the front and rear are 'fighting' each other, on snow or ice, something is going to start sliding and control could be compromised.

I don't think that is a problem. It isn't fixed displacement like 4WD, it is applied torque.
But in slippery conditions, using up available traction to couple gas engine to electric generator would not be good. So just disable charging under those conditions.

If the front is powered by an engine, and the rear powered by electric motors, I expect we are going to have trouble keeping the two systems completely in sync, even if the electronics could keep track of the exact RPM of the front and rear, tire diameters don't stay exactly the same over time. Ultimately if the front and rear are 'fighting' each other, on snow or ice, something is going to start sliding and control could be compromised.

I don’t see any real issues. If the rear wheels can freewheel or optionally the front transmixer placed in neutral you can manage it fine. Driving on snow and ice in 4WD is dangerous anyway: AWD isn’t always better in winter. Because if you can get up an incline with some driver-modulated spinning of tires versus AWD that won’t make it up a hill in snow (2021 AWD Rogue was terrible in snow compared to my 1987 Jeep in 2WD) you are better off.
Then again I grew up in NH winters…

I don’t see any real issues. If the rear wheels can freewheel or optionally the front transmixer placed in neutral you can manage it fine. Driving on snow and ice in 4WD is dangerous anyway: AWD isn’t always better in winter. Because if you can get up an incline with some driver-modulated spinning of tires versus AWD that won’t make it up a hill in snow (2021 AWD Rogue was terrible in snow compared to my 1987 Jeep in 2WD) you are better off.
Then again I grew up in NH winters…
You can thank traction control and eco focused tires of that rouge. Traction contol is always off when the white stuff is flying, stability and ABS are different systems and remain on.

You can thank traction control and eco focused tires of that rouge. Traction contol is always off when the white stuff is flying, stability and ABS are different systems and remain on.
Traction control, abs, stability…
What’s the difference? With Firestone snows that car wouldn’t start or stop in any Vermont snow and you couldn’t turn it all off even in ‘off road’ mode. Technological junk imho. If one needs that crap then at least two things are probably true: you’re driving too fast (or trying to) for the conditions and you are not competent enough to have a license imho
>H. I. Jack is leaving the chat<

Traction control, abs, stability…
What’s the difference? With Firestone snows that car wouldn’t start or stop in any Vermont snow and you couldn’t turn it all off even in ‘off road’ mode. Technological junk imho. If one needs that crap then at least two things are probably true: you’re driving too fast (or trying to) for the conditions and you are not competent enough to have a license imho
>H. I. Jack is leaving the chat<
Traction control, limits wheel spin (but neuters clawing up a hill)
stability controls yaw rotation
abs controls wheel locking

Each one is designed to keep rubber side down, sadly they don’t work well in allowing you to claw up any sort of hill and that’s when no system seems better.

I bult my system slowly starting back to 1992. started with just 1 75 watt panel. now i have a grid tied system but I don't have a contract for the electricity that I send to the grid. to much red tape so I work on using all that I produce. Mini split, electric car, electric hot water, dishwasher and more. My bill is usually around 20 to 30 dollars a month.

Why not net metered?
Using grid as a seasonal battery at retail buy/"sell" is a great deal if available
My present offgrid system meets my residential needs as is, so I don’t need the grid battery. That, and my monthly kWh is quite low to begin with.
If I can work out a ‘sell to grid’ arrangement then my shop will have ‘grid battery.’
The shop would be an entirely separate isolated system anyway. Net metering is less appealing in my circumstances because even with the shop I am fairly likely over a month to make more solar electricity than I would consume.

Years ago, I put up a bunch of glass panels, on alum frames, collecting sunshine, no taxes apply - it's called a greenhouse.
Now putting up glass panels on alum frames, collecting sunshine, connected to wires, no taxes will apply. No knock on the door will come.
Living out in the sticks is the best!
here the local prefectural office uses drones to look for "violations" you can hear them but rarely ever see them as they are allowed to fly 50 meters higher as a government entity then normal sport drones. (could be my old age and piss poor eyesight as well though).

about 18 months ago they come up to tell me they were going to tax me for my shop now that it was finished. i pointed to the lack of a proper foundation out to them and said, by current laws it is a temporary structure and not subject to taxation. they were a couple of young government sponges that did not enjoy being told to have a nice day I am not paying.

But (Hat trip to my Japanese buddy for pointing out the correct method of pissing in their wheaties.) I got a letter about 3 months later from a different government office telling me that my shop could not be classified as a living/working space due to lack of proper foundation, they admitted that while it did have poured concrete slabs that might "might" serve as a foundation, they were not up to code and therefore it could not be considered a structure. (I argued the point before them that it should be and I was willingly to pay ...taxes on it ) :ROFLMAO:

the two sponges came back a month or two after getting that letter and i then showed them the letter and thoroughly enjoyed the look of consternation at the fact that they had been bufooed by one of their contemporaries in another division.

Tanuki 1/tax pigs 0
\
all this to say eventually when they go that route, they will just use drones and tax you accordingly.

here the local prefectural office uses drones to look for "violations" you can hear them but rarely ever see them as they are allowed to fly 50 meters higher as a government entity then normal sport drones. (could be my old age and piss poor eyesight as well though).

about 18 months ago they come up to tell me they were going to tax me for my shop now that it was finished. i pointed to the lack of a proper foundation out to them and said, by current laws it is a temporary structure and not subject to taxation. they were a couple of young government sponges that did not enjoy being told to have a nice day I am not paying.

But (Hat trip to my Japanese buddy for pointing out the correct method of pissing in their wheaties.) I got a letter about 3 months later from a different government office telling me that my shop could not be classified as a living/working space due to lack of proper foundation, they admitted that while it did have poured concrete slabs that might "might" serve as a foundation, they were not up to code and therefore it could not be considered a structure. (I argued the point before them that it should be and I was willingly to pay ...taxes on it ) :ROFLMAO:

the two sponges came back a month or two after getting that letter and i then showed them the letter and thoroughly enjoyed the look of consternation at the fact that they had been bufooed by one of their contemporaries in another division.

Tanuki 1/tax pigs 0
\
all this to say eventually when they go that route, they will just use drones and tax you accordingly.
Great stuff.

Government Sponges..?

Love it..

hmm, well in other places none conforming structures are required to be removed. So soon you will likely have to amke it a proper foundation, or remove it. when you "beat" them the simly go back and look how to alter their regs so you loose. They are the authority having jurisdiction , they make the rules, all victories are short lived. go somewhere without the games if you can.

hmm, well in other places none conforming structures are required to be removed. So soon you will likely have to amke it a proper foundation, or remove it. when you "beat" them the simly go back and look how to alter their regs so you loose. They are the authority having jurisdiction , they make the rules, all victories are short lived. go somewhere without the games if you can.
Japanese cannot force you to pull down a temp structure, what is what the second office confirmed it was. the actual tax office was primed to call it a permanent structure due to the cast concrete pads i poured under each corner and center of the containers as they want the tax money. So it according to the building code qualifies as a temp structure, which i knew it would when I built it...

Do to my friends advice, I went and tried to get it qualified as a permanent structure as he and later I understood and knew that the office that did permits would never allow it as a permanent structure... hence check and mate for the tax office.

these rules are Japanese wide and require a change in their national rules and codes... even if they did change the rules the Japanese government always grandfathers for building codes.

You try to attack when you do not understand the rules of the game... No soup for you!

And notice, they are far more interested in 'collecting taxes' than ensuring the structure is safe - ie what the building codes are supposed to be for.
And don't misunderstand me, I am not implying the structure is unsafe at all. Just my pet peeve that under the guise of "enforcing building codes" we often see tax collection is the real motivation.

Yeah, knowing the rules, and how to apply them is certainly a requirement where they spend their time 'looking for violations'.

Exactly. This is why I don't have a "solar power system". I am an artist. My medium is solar panels. That is a sculpture on my roof. The statement of which I'm trying to make is that racism is bad or something. Also gingers.

Exactly. This is why I don't have a "solar power system". I am an artist. My medium is solar panels. That is a sculpture on my roof. The statement of which I'm trying to make is that racism is bad or something. Also gingers.
woah woah woah! whats wrong with my people! other than harry and archie (Gingers united has expelled them due to ruffled feathers wth ur British Cousins) Gingers are very hot.... and I feel a warning coming on again about derailing...

diy solar

diy solar
Back