diy solar

diy solar

(4) EG4 6500ex inverter install

What do you have for option 16? That option is set independently for each inverter.

Also option 1?

16 oso
1 sbu

I have grid turned off unless i know i won't make enough that day. Ill switch it over for a few hours. Which the first time was this Monday for 4 hrs

Outside of switching to USB mode where utility is the primary power source, I don’t know that there’s much you can do. The mppts keep tracking trying to find the best power point at the low voltages around sunrise and sunset.

Now I don’t hear any alarms going off, but I have option 18 turned off (the alarm/button beep). CANT STAND THE BEEPING!

SOL is solar first mode.
It will switch back and forth. Every time it sees or doesn't see enough solar for production.
I'm glad you clarified, when I first read that I was thinking shit outta luck mode and almost pinged @Zwy to reference post 158.
I'm sure the OP is in good hands with Adam.

Outside of switching to USB mode where utility is the primary power source, I don’t know that there’s much you can do. The mppts keep tracking trying to find the best power point at the low voltages around sunrise and sunset.

Now I don’t hear any alarms going off, but I have option 18 turned off (the alarm/button beep). CANT STAND THE BEEPING!
So, it switches back and forth between sources in SBU mode?

Lol... Looks like i am without using utility ???
Did you try changing setting 16 to SNU or CSO and setting 11 to 2A? You'd probably have to change setting 13 to a voltage that would hardly ever trigger utility after setting setting 01 to SBU.
I wish the 6548 / 6500 had timers like my 6048, you could just set them to never use the grid.

So, it switches back and forth between sources in SBU mode?
Yeah. Once it starts to detect solar is available, it will switch to solar providing for the loads. The problem is around sunrise and sunset it could switch between battery and solar as it fights to keep supplying solar.

You tend to notice it more when your inverters are in standby mode.
Which now makes me wonder…

In the mornings and evenings the inverters are trying to switch to PV and off PV. The alarm keeps going off and everything switches back and forth. Is there a way i can change the pv watts or voltage to stop that? I didn't really see anything in the manual
I thought I read that you tend to run with just 2 inverters sometimes. Are 2 off when you’re noticing the switching and beeping (Similar to the video above)?

Did you try changing setting 16 to SNU or CSO and setting 11 to 2A? You'd probably have to change setting 13 to a voltage that would hardly ever trigger utility after setting setting 01 to SBU.
I wish the 6548 / 6500 had timers like my 6048, you could just set them to never use the grid.
No, but i willin the morning and see how it does.

Yeah. Once it starts to detect solar is available, it will switch to solar providing for the loads. The problem is around sunrise and sunset it could switch between battery and solar as it fights to keep supplying solar.

You tend to notice it more when your inverters are in standby mode.
Which now makes me wonder…

I thought I read that you tend to run with just 2 inverters sometimes. Are 2 off when you’re noticing the switching and beeping (Similar to the video above)?
Yes, the other 2 are in Standby so i can use them to charge batteries. So they shut down when pv runs out and comes on when theres enough pv. I'll keep pv off in the morning until i know its daylight enough and see if that changes anything

On my Growatt's I only experienced this in SOL mode.
In SBU mode it's basically in battery mode. And solar works like a separate SCC. If it produces more than the loads require, it charges the battery with the extra. If it produces less than the loads require, it takes the balance from the battery. No switching, and everything is smoothly running.

Yes, the other 2 are in Standby so i can use them to charge batteries. So they shut down when pv runs out and comes on when theres enough pv. I'll keep pv off in the morning until i know its daylight enough and see if that changes anything
I’m guessing those are the ones switching back and forth (that your noticing) since they’re actually shutting down and starting back up.

In SBU mode it's basically in battery mode. And solar works like a separate SCC. If it produces more than the loads require, it charges the battery with the extra. If it produces less than the loads require, it takes the balance from the battery. No switching, and everything is smoothly running.
Can’t say I’ve really noticed the switching before outside of the inverters being in standby mode. I just see that solars providing the loads when there’s enough sun.

Yea, my growatt didn't do this either.

Can’t say I’ve really noticed the switching before outside of the inverters being in standby mode. I just see that solars providing the loads when there’s enough sun.
What relay is switching?
Output switching between bypass and inverter?

Once it starts to detect solar is available, it will switch to solar providing for the loads. The problem is around sunrise and sunset it could switch between battery and solar as it fights to keep supplying solar
my 6500s switch between solar and battery seamlessly. Ive had alarm turned off for a while now, but even when I had it on, I dont think it triggered when switching back and forth between solar and battery.

Im guessing those are the ones switching back and forth (that your noticing) since they’re actually shutting down and starting back up
I do remember when I had mine in standby, when it was near sunrise or sunset, they would turn on because they sensed PV, then realize it wasnt enough and then countdown and shut off, while also sounding the alarm. They could cycle like this a few times. Sometimes they would just stay on over night, but sometimes they automatically shut down.

@Oldtimmer69 I would try turning Setting 22 - Beeps when primary source is interrupted - to - Alarm off - AOF - for just the 2 inverters you are running in standby mode.

And then if that doesnt work, try Setting 18 - Alarm Control - Alarm off - bOF

With just turning the pv off last night and waiting on the sun to be up for about an hour before i turned it back on i only heard the alarm one time this morning. ? I'll see about the settings and how that works this evening.

@mountkay i turned 22 to off. That would be nice if it stops it.
I'd like to still get a alarm if something else needs attention, so ??

Last edited:
Back