diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 inverter future

I don't know if that would be safe for the mini splits. I know when I turn mine off it takes a few seconds to ramp down.
How about just a small battery to keep things moving along. Or would that add too much cost/complexity? It would probably pay for itself by capturing some of the excess pv energy that would otherwise go to waste if the minisplits is not using all of it.
Yes, adding batteries later is part of the plan.

Yes, and there is an included PV disconnect switch as well, and given the specs of the MPPT you won't be using more then 2 strings in parallel so you won't need any overcurrent protection. Your install may need a disconnect where the pv wires enter the building or a rapid shutdown system depending where your panels are mounted, how the wire is run, and local code requirements.
@SignatureSolarJames @Markus_EG4

Is there a possibility for a remote disconnect / rapid shutdown switch on this one, like what can be done with the 18kwpv?

On the running with just pv it really isn't usefully to be honest. I have done it with my tp6048 but not from by choice. I ran with just grid and pv for a long time before getting a battery.

When the power goes out from the grid it runs on pv but since that only works while the suns up and clouds cause brown outs I can't see it really being useful other than the coolness factor of seeing it do it which wears off fast :)

IMHO ...

It may have a 5-yr warranty, per the user manual ... that doc points to their separate "standard warranty & registration" doc, which you'd have to read pretty thorougly to understand.

You'd then have to couple that info with how they work, wrt support processes and such. This could be found by seeing what their current support methods & processes are on the website. Add to that everyone's support experiences on this forum, both in the past and ongoing.

In the end, and as this is mostly an HF inverter, I'd guess that the best options for keeping this thing up and running are:
1. buy more than one, have one on the shelf ready to swap into the place of a "broken" one. Then attempt to warranty the broken one.
2. have a "pure" testing scenario set up, where a new one lands for "break-in", and a defective one lands for "troubleshooting"
3. be self-supporting (for the most part), and any comms with SS are by email (perhaps by website if their processes get good enough)

If all of the above is in place, you can quickly swap out, test, return any defective inverters, with the least amount of hassle. You can get back up and running, with any of the HF inverters, if you keep spares around, by whatever means possible. A 5-yr warranty isn't meaningful, if the process for exchange/repair traps you into all kinds of grief.

I've been developing this strategy ever since I picked up my first mpp solar HF 24v unit, and I don't think it's much different with anybody else's HF unit. These things are fragile, with not enough guts in them like my Magnum 4024. I also would never hook anything up to the clown, er, cloud, for monitoring. That is full of all kinds of problems, when you attempt to provide your data, security, etc, to the clown, er, cloud.

It will be interesting to see if the HF inverters can ever really replace the LF inverters, but at this point, I've kept my HF inverters at the project stage. I've got too much infrastructure relying on the wonderful capabilities of the LF inverters like magnum, which provides utility-grid class service, even if they now make theirs in Mexico.

Finally, whoever has one ... these things are packed full of electronics, in various collections of boards. I'd be interested in knowing if there is any chance of self-repair. You'd have to open it up and peek inside, if willing to potentially void your warranty (does it have the bad stickers?). Also, hold your AM radio next to it, in various places, and see if any spurious emissions.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
@SignatureSolarJames @Markus_EG4

Is there a possibility for a remote disconnect / rapid shutdown switch on this one, like what can be done with the 18kwpv?
Already integrated and interesting note that the 12 volt output is now at 1.5 A so it will power the newer Tigo devices, not something that the Solark can do because they are limited to 500 ma output ?

The plan should be include batteries from the get go, imo
Even just a single battery will get you through those humps during cloud cover, otherwise I just don't like it. Very hard on the inverter and the equipment attached to it to be cycling on and off so much unless you're in Arizona and can guarantee bright blue skies for 8 hours at a time.

Even just a single battery will get you through those humps during cloud cover, otherwise I just don't like it. Very hard on the inverter and the equipment attached to it to be cycling on and off so much unless you're in Arizona and can guarantee bright blue skies for 8 hours at a time.
I'd even be willing to put 4 used 12v car batteries in series as a temporary solution.

@Zapper77
Do the pv inputs have fuses inline? Thanks
PV Fuses or breakers at the inverter would be of little use.

If there is a single string on each input, no PV overcurrent protection devices are needed. (A single string on each input is the design target of this inverter)

If there is more than two strings are on each MPPT, fuses or breakers would be needed, but they would have to go before they are combined.

diy solar

diy solar
Back